[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is a URL like this is possible? Wikipedia says ".om

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1480251149192.png (20KB, 475x130px) Image search: [Google]
1480251149192.png
20KB, 475x130px
How is a URL like this is possible? Wikipedia says ".om is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Oman." so does this mean that's it literally loading the script from the top-level domain itself?
>>
>>60808719
VIRUS, DO NOT CLICK
>>
>>60808719
The global internet DNS may enforce the name.tld convention, but a local DNS server does not need to.

Ever seen "localhost"? If you were testing a webserver on your machine you might do "http://localhost/1.js" which is the same thing.
>>
>>60809018
does a non local dns need to enforce it? say i set up my own, i could do what what i want with it even if it was commercial?
>>
>>60809244
You could make whatever names you want point to wherever you want on your own DNS server. But if you need clients to be able to resolve those names, they need to know to look them up on your server.

When you register a domain you're essentially registering it with a DNS server that everyone already knows to look up names on, and the owners of this system say "You must use a name in the form of name.tld to be registered on our system".

On your own system though, you get to make up the rules.
>>
Yes, but to prevent local suffix resolution which will be tried first (i.e. search for a host which is om.[localdomain]) really the URI should be hxxp://om./etc with a dot after the TLD (which stands for the global root).

This works for any TLD, including the ccTLDs and the new TLDs, providing they have the correct records at the root - which of course very, very few of them do.

Incidentally, the // also stands for a global root in the path (as opposed to the local root /), but DNS is ass-backwards and it's way too late to fix that in the namespace now.
>>
>>60809768
This.
You need the dot at the end for it to properly work. At least, by standards. Some browsers might support dotless root.

I remember there was a list of them posted on /g/ years back, but fuck knows what they were again.
Too lazy to go through TLDs to find them.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.