[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, What's it like to work at a computer store? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (216KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
216KB, 1280x853px
Hey /g/,

What's it like to work at a computer store? What's the bare minimum of tech literacy needed to sell and operate effectively?

I ask because I am looking for a job and saw the local computer store is hiring, I am just unsure if I'm a big enough computer geek. Sure I browse /g/ and care about developments in computer hardware but just wondering if I'll get laughed out if I don't know about the latest soundcards or routers.
>>
>tl;dr: it's LTT the store ethics

I knew a few people who worked at a Micro Center. Basically, it's not about the computer parts at all, and you will get mad super-fast because stores like this just relied on getting money than promoting sensible computer practice

You're gonna hate it once these computer stores want you to push shit Intel chips and leftover house fires
>>
>>60802313
You don't need to know shit about shit if it's a retail chain. They will train you on what they want you to sell and give you buzzwords with which to sell them with. Shit when I worked for Best Buy they told us "sell to the customers needs" but apparently every single person needed a $2000 laptop to email their grandkids and use facebook.
>>
>>60802808
I wish I had a Microcenter near me. They're so much cheaper than best buy and I hate ordering things and waiting 2 or 3 days.
>>
>>60802313
I worked at Best Buy and Geek Squad for 3 years. You really don't need to know much. They'll tell you what you need to know and it's super easy to excuse yourself and do some research on your phone about a question if you really truly don't know and can't BS your way out of it.
>>
>>60802865

>>60802899 is me

also, not to shill (i don't work there anymore) but they do price match Microcenter. but they also don't have much inventory that's not your big brands.
>>
most computer retail stores only care about selling protection plans and other extras

its the only thing they actually make money on, they don't actually give a shit if you know anything about computers
>>
>>60802808

>computer stores want you to push shit Intel chips

AMD hasn't had anything good since socket A.
>>
to get the job
>look knowledgable
>be able to sound like you have the answer

to keep the job:
>get sales
>sell warranties
>sell add ons
>get credit apps
>>
>>60802313
Computer store or a store that has a small selection of computers? If the later, non. The people at my store (Walmart) that work in electronics including the department manager have no idea on the shit they sell.
>>
>>60802313
>amerimongrels.jpg
>>
>>60802313
Best Buy interviewed me three times in two different cities 1000 miles a part. They didn't even bother to call me back. Best Buy is mostly about sales and knowing anything computers is a plus until you know too much about computers then it becomes a liability because you will try to fix the computers rather than making a new sale.
>>
If you don't at least have an A+ cert then expect to spend a lot of time learning on the job or losing your job altogether.

Also don't be an autistic fuckwad to customers.
>>
>>60803070
lol what? If you can put a computer together you can sell them. An A+ is over kill for a retail position.
>>
>>60802953
I don't think he means all Intel chips. But most of the floor models are $300-$400 pieces of junk with Celerons in them.
>>
File: 1487437874268.gif (3MB, 414x382px) Image search: [Google]
1487437874268.gif
3MB, 414x382px
Best Buy is one of the worst companies to work for if you want to work with tech. There's literally no skill involved, the management are huge fucking kikes and your coworkers are all stoned braindead /v/tards. I made the mistake of taking a job at BB when I was in high school and my supervisor was a bimbo cunt who knew jack shit about computers but obviously had the job because she knew how to bullshit customers into buying warranties.
>>
Retail and food service jobs are always awful unless it's one of those rare few that has a union.
>>
i applied to be in tech and service at a big store but they threw me into sales. seeing what the techs and the managers deal with on a daily basis i am very happy it worked out the way it did. i feel like my intense hobby and interest in tech does not transfer to intense customer service stuck behind a counter with a phone on your hip you know.

a lot of our repairs are sent to depot or done via remote connection so the work itself isn't always on a hardware level aside from software/hardware diagnostics, mostly processing. the job is mostly dealing with awful and great people and meeting sales targets as best you can as a tech i.e. the value of a new computer vs. service, e.g. used car scenarios. some are more about people and service and others are about numbers, ideally it's in between. but just dealing with the volume and nonsense that most people come up with is draining. that's why i am glad to be in sales.. at least i get to move around!

anyways, you don't have to be a used car salesperson. in fact most training would have you be as unlike a "salesperson" as possible, which is either entirely manipulative or entirely organic and easier to live with depending on your take. "service plans" (read: warranty) can often be worth it, especially if you often need assistance and do not have support. is that opportunistic? i believe that profiting off arbitrary non material goods is tricky what with inflation and fiat something and rising this and that... but ultimately it is an exchange and that might be OK. they are easy to understand and abuse too if you're not some silly person who thinks everyone is out to scam you
>>
>>60802977
To be fair, the top two points can also be applied to the customers, thus helping you do the below steps.
>>
>>60802953
>AMD hasn't had anything good since socket A.

The entire K7-K8 line was godly, except for the early Slot A which had no SSE (and even then they had good performance, just not compatible with some stuff that came later).

Phenom 2 was a good budget cpu. It was like a Core 2 Quad or Hexa, running at 4GHz and with SATA3 support.
>>
>>60802313
>bare minimum of tech literacy
None.
>latest soundcards or routers
You will get laughed out, these stores do not want to push this. You will be selling laptops to idiots.
>>
>>60802899
>you really don't need to know much
fuck, if i knew that i wouldn't bully people working at tech store for not knowing what linux or freedos means
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.