[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone who uses a chromebook able to comment on using it as a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Anyone who uses a chromebook able to comment on using it as a dev device? I do python and node.js web development, I'm looking into getting the updated asus c100pa flip as a cheap take-around laptop I can throw in my bag and leave my nicer laptop at home
>>
bump for interest. The only article I found was made in 2014 so I'm sure there's more dev tools around.
>>
>>60797350
Your best bet is installing Crouton. Works great as a full fledged Linux environment and you also have all the ChromeOS goodies. I have this setup on my HP Chromebook 14 and do lots of Python development.
>>
>>60798293
Thanks. Is there any significant performance hit?
>>
>>60798355
Absolutely none. A chroot is no different from bare metal in that regard. Some people confuse it with a VM and the associated hit to I/O but they are just confused.
>>
>>60798293
>>60798355
As an alternative to crouton, if you're comfortable taking the laptop apart and removing the BIOS flashing lock screw, you can flash seaBIOS and natively run any OS from boot, assuming it's an x86 system.
>>
>>60798535
I've considered that but I want to preserve that ChromeOS goodness. Especially now that Android apps are supported. Samsung Chromebook Pro is a perfect example. Weighs less than two pounds, gorgeous high resolution touch screen, convertible, Intel core processor, stylus input, you name it.
>>
>>60798642

It's about as much of a "dev device" as raspi is.

That's my experimence samsung chromebook plus (pro will be almost same spec).

Never more until ARM gets their shit together and start putting 32-64 cores (to offset general shittyness of each core) in consumer hardware. For now, get a thinkpad if you intend to be productive in anything.
>>
>>60798769
The pro is exactly the same except it has an Intel Core m3 proc. That makes a huge difference though.
>>
>>60798867
Don't hold your hopes up. core m3 is bottom of the barell (comparable to latest years baytrail Atom). Needless to say baytrail is still utter and complete garbage.

The fundamental problem with ARM and stunted x86s which imitate is is simply TDP - these cpus can't run red hot with (large cache and clock), even when you'd need it to run hot momentarily.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.