[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Datamining so popular and why are AMD cards the best at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: ae7285fd1194b425bd1e11fa726e2671.jpg (140KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
ae7285fd1194b425bd1e11fa726e2671.jpg
140KB, 1000x750px
Why is Datamining so popular and why are AMD cards the best at it?

Also what is it?
>>
>>60784440
Cryptocurrency mining, not data
>>
>>60784440
honestly, how much do bitcoin mining rigs such as pic related make?
I've looked it up before out of curiosity and it doesn't seem worth it.
>>
>>60785417
It isn't worth it unless you value the cryptocurrency more than the actual value of the cryptocurrency.

I want some just so I have an alternative currency to gold/silver and regular cash.
>>
>>60785417
The way miners made profit was mining mass coins when they were cheap then waiting for them to go up to sell.
>>
an RX 470 bought before the shortage can pay for itself in 10 weeks or less depending on electric costs.
>>
>>60785475
damn that's pretty gud
>>
>>60785475
which cryptocurrency?
>>
>>60784440
AMD has always valued more, simpler shader units versus Nvidia's larger, complex shader units. While Nvidia's approach is easier to reach high utilization levels in computer graphics, AMD's way tends to be more effective at datamining because of the larger parallelization.
>>
>>60785438
>>60785461
Ah that makes sense.
I guess if you mine these meme cryptos they always come out with and sell at the right time you could make an alright profit.
>>
>>60785475
Ten weeks of 200w? draw.
Wouldn't be good in Aus.
>>
>what's the difference between cpu and gpu
>>
>>60784440
It's not that AMD is 'better' it's that AMD doesn't gimp thier consumer cards as much.

Eth requires double-precision FP, in a 'perfect' GPU/CPU some arithmatic done in Double Precision would take twice as long as the same arithmetic done in single precision.
On nVidia consumer GPUS we see it gimped to 32x longer. (1:32 SP:DP)
On (current) AMD consumer GPUs we see it 16x slower (1:16 SP:DP)

Combined with the slightly lower cost per SP GFLOP anyway and double the DP performance - AMD cards tend to be 2-3x faster than nVidia cards at the same pricepoint.

Workstation GPUs on the otherhand will do even faster DP (a Quadro GP100 is proper 1:2 SP:DP for example, with 5.3TFLOPs DP, compared to only 237GFLOPS (0.237TFLOPs) DP on an RX470 at stock clocks. But the cost of those workstation GPUs is so high that the lesser performing consumer cards actually have better performance-per-dollar.
>>
>>60785577
That's why we don't have shortages of AMD cards... mining is pretty much dead here unless you're either scamming power or have a solar array for it (which was free somehow, since you'll never pay for it with the mining hardware)
Try buying an RX570/RX580 in US or Europe - they're almost constantly sold out because of miners.

Here though, no problem buying one any day of the week since (electronic)mining is dead here.
>>
>>60785707
>RX570 so undersold in Brazil they are one of the few hardware pieces that resellers sell at a loss if they try and import them
Feels bad. Fuck the abusive electricity costs.
>>
Word on the vine is that AMD and Nvidia are both making dedicated mining cards, to prevent the fuckery of mass market consumption.

Basically, same GPU but without the additional PCB hardware such as the display outs and circuitry.
>>
>>60785417
If you're power isn't subsidized there's no chance of a profit.
>>
>>60785417

You need about 30 of them running at once and your electricity bill will be $3000 and you'll make like $4000 or less. That's if the bitcoin exchange doesn't rob you.
>>
>>60785615
What? Ethereum has zero floating point operations, it's all integer and char.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.