[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/, I am an absolute retard in need of help. My old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
Alright /g/, I am an absolute retard in need of help. My old ass laptop is dying and reaching terminal temperatures (90 degrees celsius idle holy fuck) on Win7, so I figured it's high time I jumped ship to a lightweight OS, and Lubuntu caught my eye. I was using puppylinux prior to revive an even older laptop with only RAM memory to work off of, but that one's far too barebones for my tastes and didn't allow me to tamper with wine too much.

tl;dr looking for lightweight linux distro that won't set my PC ablaze. I'm a bloody retard so something simple is preferred. ALSO PROBABLY IMPORTANT: I'm hooking up my laptop to a monitor and I can't for the life of me find out how to make that work properly in Lubuntu (running off an external HDD for testing) since windowed things refuse to take up the full screen, including videos played online
>>
>>60753467
replace the thermal paste on your cpu. It probably dried out. No need to replace the whole OS
>>
>>60753467
90Âșc idle
is your fan broken?
>>
>>60753526
anon it's a laptop. I have no idea how to unscrew this sonuvagun open and I'd need to buy tools and thermal paste, whereas downloading a free OS should be pretty immediate and easy. I'll re-apply it once I get everything since I'm building an actual PC anyway, but in the meantime I'd rather opt for a fast solution.

The reason I wanna do this quickly is because my PC shuts off every 5-10 minutes running windows and I REALLY need to write a bible's worth of work in the coming days, so I don't have much time (nor money but that's another story) to spend gearing up

>>60753567
I still hear it humming along, and now that I'm running lubuntu off my external HDD it's noticeably cooler, but I'd still rather dual boot for the extra internal HDD space. My external one is chock full of steam games and work files because hoarding is fun
>>
>>60753601
>CPU is burning itself out because the thermal paste went kaputt somewhere along a decade of life.
>"gee, let's install a lightweight OS to fix the problem, instead of fixing the problem"

Installing a "lightweight OS" won't do anything to help. If your CPU is frying itself at idle, it will keep frying itself at idle, no matter how little RAM your OS consumes (protip: if CPU isn't a bottleneck when doing something in that device, idle usage will be negligible).

Also, installing a lightweight OS also means keeping drivers and firmware to bare minimum, which usually means crappy throttling support, which means it'll only make everything worse.

You're damn right you're a bloody retard, now get your head out of your arse and get the damn comp to someone who can do that job for you, if you're not willing to. Also, ask for a cleanup, since it's probably got more dust accumulated than Tutankhamun's tomb. It's gonna cost you what the tools and thermal paste would. If you're too cheap to pay for even that, then have a good while banging rocks together until they turn into a new laptop.
>>
>>60753864
>Installing a "lightweight OS" won't do anything to help. If your CPU is frying itself at idle, it will keep frying itself at idle, no matter how little RAM your OS consumes

well whoop de fucking doo, lm-sensors' package says I'm running at ~65-70 degrees now in lubuntu. but hey thanks for running around yelling at me for not understanding computers, that really helped
>>
>>60753955
were you using speccy or something to check temps in windows?
>>
>>60753601
>I'd need to buy tools
>he doesn't own a screwdriver

how are you ALIVE?
>>
I'm running kali, I went to the IM-sensors Ubuntu page but if I download it will it work on kali to?
If not there then where?
>>
>>60754232
I forgot the name of the application. something very basic that checks your temp and sets a critical max, as well as letting you tweak your core % usage to make things more bearable on the CPU. worked nicely, but slowed the PC to a crawl so saving anything was a nightmare. Might have to use that and let the CPU usage at ~30% while I root out all the bullshit adware my family may have been putting on the PC's background while I was back home. I suspect that might take a few aeons

>>60754242
I somehow forgot to bring my basic tools with me when I came to canada. I don't know how that happened, but I suspect I may have severe brain damage
>>
>>60754625
>>60754232
found it

https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.