[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the /g/ approved way to deal with storing, backing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: network-data-storage.jpg (67KB, 382x313px) Image search: [Google]
network-data-storage.jpg
67KB, 382x313px
What's the /g/ approved way to deal with storing, backing up and making available ~10 TB of data?

NAS?
Linux server?
>>
Windows Server 2003 FTP
>>
>>60743979
a raspberry pi + usb hub + sata to usb adapter

yeah, /g/ is fucking retarded, just like you. you could at least mention what kind of data you want to store, how important the data and redundancy are for you, what kind of backups you actually want, specify what you mean by
>making available
etc etc
>>
ZFS SAN running on FreeBSD with fibre-channel interconnects. Make sure you mirror your pool at least twice.
>>
>>60744097
available over network connection

they're a collection of hard drives i've filled up with data over the past decade or so
>>
>>60743979
Put it in the cloud since you're a good boy and have nothing to hide
>>
>>60744203
>available over network connection
how many users, how do you plan to make them available (nfs, dlna, sftp, ..... ) what other operating systems and devices in your network should be able to access it, ...
what's your netwokr infrastructure, what kind of network speed do you want / need ?

>they're a collection of hard drives i've filled up with data over the past decade or so
do you want to keep them or get new drives ?
how many drivers ? how / where do you want to back the data from the drives, or are they the backup ?
>>
dropbox
>>
>>60744276
1 user
home network, so either 100Mbps or 1gbps wired ethernet with a single router.
>>
>>60744309
so you basically just want to make the harddisks available on the network, nothing fancy ?

whats your budget ?
>>
>>60743979
What kind of 10TB of data?
Share with us what you're storing there, senpai.
>>
>>60744438
yes.

whatever makes the most sense, but preferably under a few grand
>>
>>60745160
if that's really all you want to do:

just get the board with the most SATA ports you can find, pick some low power cpu, 4-8 gb ram, a case with enough space for your harddisks and not the cheapest PSU and set up debian.
or if you have an some old computers lying around, just use one of them: your requirements are literally nothing.
>>
8 TB Video + 2 TB Audio

I want to run a Plex and Kodi so I can stream music and movies to my phone and smart TV and some Windows computers in the house + one Linux machine.

So I need it to be able to stream 4K and downconvert to 720p for plex on my phone at work

and it needs to be able to seed most of the data and be able to encode BD to MKV in reasonable time.

I want it to take a little power as possible because it will be on all the time. Stability is key.

What kind of price area am I looking at?
What OS?
>>
Also any good cases that house six drives and are small?
>>
>>60747267
>stream 4k
>on the fly transcoding and encoding
>as little power as possible

You're asking for things that don't exist.
What you need is a fucking 12+ core
>>
File: Untitled.png (426KB, 1625x946px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
426KB, 1625x946px
>>60747347
>12 cores
?????

encoding can happen passively at night

its not like im not racing

I was thinking of something smaller and less powerful
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.