[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For an East Coast recent college grad with mediocre grades and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

For an East Coast recent college grad with mediocre grades and a couple cool ideas, is it worth it to search for jobs in the Bay Area? Or is that meme overplayed by now, with elusive job prospects for people that aren't pooinloos, women, autistic, or summa cum laude 5.0 GPA honors students?
>>
>>60739693
Remember the saying that D's make degrees. Your GPA doesn't really matter as long as you got your degree.
>>
File: screaming geometrically.gif (1MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
screaming geometrically.gif
1MB, 500x280px
>>60739779
It's just during my sophomore or junior year or something, I got a co-op with some shitty company and quickly discovered I couldn't even build a simple switching power supply (one of the first things they asked me to do as a practice project for bigger ones). Granted I hadn't taken some of the early electrical engineering classes yet and didn't even know how a diode worked. But I feel like my education was kinda shit compared to some Stanford grad or something and I'm not sure I could do that stuff even now.
>>
>>60739693
Why on earth would you want to live in a SJW, liberal hellhole?
>>
>>60740479
>I couldn't even build a simple switching power supply
Is this a joke? Switching power supplies are really complex and I would never expect a student to be able to design one from scratch
>>
>>60740526
Seriously? well fuck me then. That job was a pile of ass. Company with lazy management who were going nowhere in life, and everyone there was stuck in the 70s (they were just renovating the place when I got there, tearing down the old wallpaper which was yellow from decades of cigarette smoke, when you could still smoke inside)

>>60740490
I luv the culture :3
>>
I will give you some friendly advice, anon.
Don't work in the Bay Area.

What little time you have away from work will be spent commuting to and from work.
You will make good money, but you will spend it all trying to find a place to live.
You can make more than a doctor in most parts of the country, but you will still have a roommate because you can't afford your own place.

It's a soul sucking experience. It's a sweatshop for software.
>>
>>60740941
This
one of my buddies moved out there and said you spend $2000 to live in someones basement.
But if you love to work, its probably a great place to.
>>
>>60740757
>Seriously?
Yeah
In fact switching power supplies are commonly used as a joke in academia ("ha, you can't even build a switching power supply?")
It sounds like your company was either trying to see how you'd respond when faced with an unreasonable task, or trying to get rid of you.
>>
File: 50v-bench-power-supply[1].jpg (33KB, 700x312px) Image search: [Google]
50v-bench-power-supply[1].jpg
33KB, 700x312px
>>60741238
Well that's interesting to hear. My first rotation around my boss tried to get me to design an IR motion detector, I had some ideas but wasn't able to prototype anything concrete. So the 2nd rotation around, feeling quite dejected, he said let's try a switching power supply, I won't give you any help but I'll step in after a while if you really get stuck. I couldn't figure out shit, so he finally threw a diagram my way as an example (not a guide, which I found out later, wasn't clear to me at first) and searching google I'm having trouble finding the exact one but I remember clearly it looked very similar to this, with the 2 op-amps in the middle and surrounding circuitry looking pretty close to what he had.

That diagram haunted me for months. I pored over it every day in futility trying to gather a semblance of an idea about how it might work, my boss was no help of course, but he was the only other EE in the company (by my second rotation, the only other EE co-op had graduated & left because he knew what was good for him lol)

Anyway. That's pretty fucking enlightening :/ All this time I've pretty much thought I was a grade-A dumbass
>>
File: schem1[1].gif (15KB, 1000x405px) Image search: [Google]
schem1[1].gif
15KB, 1000x405px
>>60741238
>>60741586
Update, after some searching I found it, lol this was the exact one. Fuck this thing
>>
>>60741775
Did he expect you to design something like that from scratch, or just build it given the schematic?
Because the former is unreasonable, but the latter isn't.
>>
>>60741824
Hell no. From scratch. Design from my head, lay out the PCB, and order the parts and breadboard it. None of that ever happened obviously...I did get a bit of experience hunting & analyzing datasheets though.
>>
>>60739693
>cool ideas
unless you've put considerable work into making those ideas reality, they're worth less than garbage.
apply to where you have the most relevant and valuable work experience
>>
>>60739693
I was just looking at Google jobs last night. Check out GlassDoor for company reviews.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.