[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever noticed that programming languages are just like musical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 275x183px)
download (1).jpg
7KB, 275x183px
Ever noticed that programming languages are just like musical instruments?
You chose one for its signature style or functionality then all you need to do is learn the notion and apply complex theory to use it.
What language would be the piano?
>>
this is a terrible analogy because music is an artform capable of expressing the most meaningful, complex and nuanced human emotions

but the piano is most definitely C
>>
>>60732746
The piano is very limited in the tones it can produce, but one is still able to go all across the musical spectrum with just the piano. I'm not sure how that is anything like C.
>>
Gentoo
>>
>>60733163
C is just one level above raw assembler.
Everything is just an abstraction for arbitrary pointers to blocks of memory and variables are just pointers to data offsets of the current stack frame.
You can write anything in C, in the lowest terms possible for a computer without relegating yourself to writing machine and platform specific CPU instructions.
You know, like a piano.
>>
>>60733163
What tones can't a piano hit?
>>
>>60733984
I have a feeling he meant things like vibrato, bends, crescendo/decrescendo on a single note without repeating it, harmonics without exposing the strings and getting into prepared piano territory, etc.
>>
>>60733984
>tones
all of them

>>60734124
This.
>>
>>60733984
>>60734149
please read about the different tunings to understand that also pianos lack the full range of harmonics
>>
>>60731380
Gintoo
>>
>>60731380
Once you know, for example, one OOP language, learning a new one will take you a weekend at worst. Pretty sure it doesn't work that way with playing instruments.
Piano would be something like Python - the most intuitive one for someone who never programmed, but beyond that there's serious complexity.
>>
>>60731380
C -> Piano
C++ -> Pipe organ
Fortran -> Hurdy-Gurdy
Python -> Fiddle
Ruby -> Saxophone
Java -> Cello
Javascript -> Guitar
PHP -> Marimba
Haskell -> This shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_LW-eUYt7Y
asm -> hex editor and a .wav file
scratch -> slide whistle
>>
i agree that piano is python since C can do anything but piano is limited to 12 tones per octave within an infinite range of possible tones

C would probably be whatever the most popular fretless instrument is
>>
File: 1472786063002_0.png (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472786063002_0.png
14KB, 500x500px
>>60731380
C/C++ would be the violin, as it requires the most skills and can produce almost all the spectrum

Java would be the guitar as it can be played anywhere

JavaScript would be the piano because it plays a subset of notes but is still widely popular for the complexity it can achieve

Python is a fuckhuge midi keyboard attached to a computer, which can play basically anything you set it for and can plug-n-play any samples instrument. Also, you get shitted on as a "fake musician" even tho all the relevant money in the business is made like this.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.