[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Leap wants more gibs from investors after its record breaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: ext.jpg (20KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
ext.jpg
20KB, 800x420px
https://backchannel.com/magic-leap-could-be-looking-at-an-8-billion-valuation-28eaa0294ad1

>Hasn't officially debuted a prototype
>Overhyped tech
>Rumours of mismanagement and being behind schedule.
>Company recently sued for sexual assault
>Tech purportedly hasn't worked on a small form factor. The first gen won't be using it's proprietary tech that wowed investors like Google and Alibaba

This is Theranos all over again.
>>
>>60712443
>open link
>Magic Leap CEO and cofounder Rony (((Abovitz))).
Yeah it's a shit.
>>
>>60712443
I'm still amazed that after 6 years of developing their tech, and 4 years of asking for gibs from investors, they still haven't showed their prototype. Whilst Microsoft started developing their AR tech much later than Magic leap and have deputed a prototype last year. Abovitz is a pretty good snake oil salesman I'll give him that.
>>
AR would be cool if it didn't have extremely limited FOV, shit resolution, bad latency and tracking, tether your head to your PC, etc...

It'd be nice to have an infinite number of virtual displays while working.
>>
>>60712443
The problem with Magic Leap is the same as the problem with all hyped intellectual property.

They don't need to have a prototype. They don't need to have a product pipeline. They don't even need a business plan. They don't need to do anything at all right now. They can just sit on their cool idea, and wait until a larger company buys them out at whatever the value of that tech is. And if anyone else makes something remotely similar then they can use their massive valuation to hire some lawyers and sue them.

Magic Leap has their priorities completely in order. This is the meta for startups in 2017.
>>
>>60712443
Difference is google is backing this. No amount of shit could stop them
>>
>>60712641
Microsoft deputed a Devkit, not prototype.
>>
>>60712767
Why are you samefagging, "I"?

Also, a devkit represents way more progression than a prototype. Devkits are one step before release so they can have some release software to go with their hardware.
>>
They have a lot going on but everyone is under NDA right now so we don't know. I have a couple friends who work there down in florida and they're currently working on a number of things in respect to AR/VR and mobile
>>
File: Magic-Leap-hed.jpg (83KB, 1612x806px) Image search: [Google]
Magic-Leap-hed.jpg
83KB, 1612x806px
Apparently, they've been showing their prototype to famous people

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YPjc7qAXwy8 [Open]

I think a prototype does exist, but they're a long way from having a product that can scale up. Which is why they need the extra funding. It's expensive to create a product, that has mostly custom made parts built in-house. Companies like ML can't take advantage of any established supply chains. This is similar to the obstacles faced by the first phone manufacturers. Expect them to release their product around 2019. Hopefully by 2018, we get to see the prototype atleast. If that doesn't happen, then I suspect they're going to this >>60712681 #
>>
Why is it always a dirty jew involved in these type of scams?
>>
File: 1345231045450.png (33KB, 218x210px) Image search: [Google]
1345231045450.png
33KB, 218x210px
>>60713418
DELET
>>
>>60712823
>>60712823
They've been under NDA for atleast 2 years. I wonder when the NDA expires
>>
>>60712681
Certainly looks like it in the US. However other countries are not so tardy about patents encumbered by prior art, VRDs were around since late 90s (monochrome and flickering, but VRDs none the less).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.