[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What am I in for if I actually use this? Is it as hard to install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: gentoo-signet.png (107KB, 533x533px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-signet.png
107KB, 533x533px
What am I in for if I actually use this? Is it as hard to install as it looks? What are the benefits of using it over another distro such as Arch or Debian?
>>
An experience.

No it's not you literally follow a step-by-step tutorial that has been written to accomodate even the drooliest of users

Easy interface to very much fine grained control over the software you put there.
Also no systemd. But if you care about not running systemd and you like either Arch or Debian there are derivative distributions like Devuan that achieve the same.
>>
Follow the handbook, do everything with the defaults (suggestions) they give you in the handbook.

The gentoo package manager does not install pre-compiled software, it installs all software from source by automatic-compilation (although you can specify flags). The package manager is very "safe" to and requires you to manually edit certain files (but it's easy).

It's a very solid OS if you know what you're doing (or if you juts stick to defaults).
>>
>>60711940
not really hard to install
just follow the handbook and select a desktop profile if you dont want to twinker that much with the use flags. Besides these and the compile time it is same as arch linux
>>
>>60711940
It's fun but absolutely impractical unless you're customizing an install for a very specific use case and/or have a super-powerful computer to run it on and a lot of free time to learn.

It's a nice and educational experience nonetheless. Just don't expect to get it up and running as easily as a baby distro and I would recommend against it as a primary OS for desktop use.
>>
File: gentoo.png (386KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.png
386KB, 1440x900px
Some common gentoo memes you may encounter:

* emerge dep resolution taking 2 minutes (especially with multilib)
* when it works its great, when some port overlay fucks shit up, its a nightmare

Basically it's better than compiling everything manually from scratch, but IMO gentoo stretches power of source distro *too much*. Like literally too much freedom is used as a main mechanism to solve major tasks of a distro (ie things like multilib) in "clever" ways.

BSD ports, on the other hand, while much less powerful than getoos are simply more reliable thanks to their simplicity.
>>
>>60711940
>>60712659
I forgot to add that configuring the kernel might be difficult if you havent done it before.
lspci -k is enough to configure a booting kernel with all your hardware drivers. Also every package you install check your kernel config file and tells you what changes you should make in your kernel config file
>>
>>60712047
>>60712659

Was just skimming through the installation handbook, looks doable but fairly tedious, probably won't have time to do it until next month. USE flags are honestly the main draw for me, I'm attracted to the DIY approach of an OS and Gentoo looks interesting because it seems to take it to the extreme.
How bearable are compile times on a laptop with a 7th generation i5 CPU?
>>
File: install-gentoo-from-source.jpg (108KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
install-gentoo-from-source.jpg
108KB, 400x400px
>>
>>60711940
If you want to learn, LFS is better. If you often install packages, it's unconvenient. If you mind outdated software (gcc5 in anno domini 2017????), check versions of sw you use. Otherwise, it's good and isn't systemD/Linux,if that's a concern to you.
>>
>>60712940
i installed gentoo with a Pentium 967 within a day, so it should be bearable.
>>
Not hard to install, just unnecessarily complicated and time consuming to maintain. Even Arch is pretty retarded unless you're a hobbyist.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.