[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 373
Thread images: 32

File: stripper-lrg.jpg (30KB, 446x445px) Image search: [Google]
stripper-lrg.jpg
30KB, 446x445px
New thread, old one >>60685181 archived.
If it seems too simple minded a question for its own thread, it belongs here.
At least try searching online first.
>>
I want all the propertiesof everyfile on my system in a text file. Name, date of access, creation, modification, size, access rights, etc. all in a tree- like structure.

How do Ido this? ls doens't do everything and stat isn't recursive
>>
>>60703708
Get stat to output the format you want for one file, then do a "find . | xargs <stat command>"
Or write a program to traverse your directory tree invoking stat(2) on each file, then printing out what you want to see.
>>
>>60703810
Thanks, but i got it.

tree -a -f -R -Q -p -u -g -h -s -F -D
>>
How do i combine two or more proxy?
>>
What kind of a subscription should i get if i have a high bandwidth connection coming and no need for the integrity of my files for now? Besides the risk of burning out the hardware everything is either way fucking old, not strong enough or brand new. Im thinking I could do a usenet style ftp for a bit, probably take it down after a bit. I got a lot of old files and old backups. Contributions always feel nice.
>>
>>60703881
Take one into the other
>>
How the fuck do I change the color of strings, functions, etc in VScode?
>>
does blackberry os have anything for proton mail?
>>
don't know if I should ask mouse or mechanical keyboard, but
do you need a Roccat keyboard to access shift on your Roccat mouse?
and, do you need a Logitech keyboard to remap the shift key (onto the keyboard) from your Logitech mouse?
>>
can /sqt/ redpill on push notifications, what do they do?
>>
File: sdclt_2017-05-30_21-51-39.png (43KB, 436x357px) Image search: [Google]
sdclt_2017-05-30_21-51-39.png
43KB, 436x357px
I'm getting an error named 0X8100033 saying I don't have enough empty space when I try to back-up my files, mostly C: and D:. But this isn't the case since the hard drive I'm using as back-up location has way more free space than the size of back-up, 900GB and 500GB respectively.
>>
Umm, maybe a very stupid question and I'm very technologically inept.

I want to be able to search for very specific information (text, image, other miscellaneous details) on specific websites. These websites are quite large and don't have an internal search engine and would otherwise require inaccurate and time consuming manually searching.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your response.
>>
Fraps is working with fewer programs these days. So im looking for a new screen/video capture program. Anything out there that is good these days?

Im not a pro streamer or anything. I just want something that stays out of the way and takes good quality pics/videos when i want it.
>>
I was just using a fresh chromium install on Ubuntu and it says Google.com is not secure, NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM. Other https sites work fine, has anyone else encountered this problem?
>>
>>60704606
If it's indexed you google foo:

site:yoursite.com searchterm

Otherwise you have to crawl the site yourself
>>
>>60704606
Is there any reason why the "site:" tag wouldn't work for a Google search?

Example: I want to find search results of "Asuka" in website "www.amiami.com":
https://www.google.com/search?q=asuka+site%3Awww.amiami.com
>>
So, I have downloaded some torrents, and I already seeded enough. So, I decided to move them to an external drive, to free some space in my computer. Is there any way to make the torrent software let me know if there are any new updates to the torrent (to get the new files), without having to keep the content in the hard drive? I use qtorrent.
>>
I've just upgraded my processor from a 4690k to a 4790k. Off the bat I noticed that the voltage was way high (I think) at above 1.26. I lowered it manually to 1.2 volts with the clock at 4.0Ghz and so far so good. I then did a stress test with OCCT and my processor lasted all of 20 seconds before thermal limit was reached.

Now, I've never put thermal paste on myself before. Previously I was just using the pre applied stuff that came with the cooler, which is an NZXT Kraken x61. After a bit of research I found that the best way to apply thermal paste is to put a pea sized drop in the center and then just mount the cooler, letting the cooler spread the thermal paste. I tightened the cooler down to just past finger tight, or like a hair past the point where you meet resistance with a screwdriver. In my amateur research I also discovered that it can take a while for thermal paste to reach optimal performance and that it must burn in. I also came across the idea that it is a good idea to find the lowest voltage that lets the cpu boot at stock frequency before beginning the overclock.

Am I on the right track? Should I be worried that my cpu lasted 20 seconds during a stress test? Should I have waited longer to stress test? It was doing fine in games before, just running hotter than the i5 it replaced which to me is understandable due to the higher TDP and double the logical cores. I'm also going to call MSI and have them walk me through installing the latest bios for my mobo because I am a noob at that?

>>60704544
I really doubt that you need matching peripherals for what you are doing. I think you just need the appropriate software that I'm sure you can find on their (Logitech+Roccat) websites
>>
>>60704873
A torrent can't be updated with new files
>>
>>60704567
>can /sqt/ redpill on push notifications, what do they do?
can someone honestly give me a quick run down
>>
File: 1471110376540.png (41KB, 608x528px) Image search: [Google]
1471110376540.png
41KB, 608x528px
>>60704911
Oh, my bad. I thought it could be.

Thanks senpai! Have a rare pepe.
>>
How much can I minimize the spying if I use Win10 Pro? Also, which shell makes it the most like Win7?
>>
>>60705150
>How much can I minimize the spying if I use Win10 Pro?

no
>>
I'm planning to buy a new modem but it doesn't list Linux in supported OS pages and I'll install Ubuntu in a close future, do I have to choose another one? The name of the modem mentioned is Asus DSL-AC52U, by the way.
>>
>>60705180
Is using it in a VM with GPU passthrough fully functional?
>>
I bought a LAMP stack server space, but all I want to do is put a static HTML page on it. How can I lock down & keep the server as secure as humanly possible on my end?
>>
How am I getting targeted ads with my universities name in them?
I'm not not at university so it's kind of strange.
>>
in vim, how do I move selected text to the end of the line?

i.e.
one three two

select ' three' and toss it after 'two'
>>
>>60704877
nothing? well then without changing anything while moving from i5 to i7 what can I expect my temperatures to look like?
>>
File: 61lmY5nUOuL._SL1500_.jpg (71KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61lmY5nUOuL._SL1500_.jpg
71KB, 1500x1500px
My laptop optic drive died, so I thought I should get HDD caddy and external optic drive.
However most of the external optic drive have two USB plugs, should I get one of these?
>>
>>60705397
Clear yer cookies
>>
>>60705290
The hell does your OS have to do with your modem?
>>
>>60705363
"Fully functional" doesn't mean anything. You can usually get upwards of 90% efficiency if you run the VM off another drive.
>>
File: ossupport.png (15KB, 440x270px) Image search: [Google]
ossupport.png
15KB, 440x270px
>>60705599
I don't know honestly, but why would they put an OS support list if it didn't have anything to do with it? That's the part I don't understand it.
>>
>>60705622
If I used the Win10 exclusive Ryzen Overclocking software in a VM, would I be able to Overclock my actual CPU? I assume not.
>>
>>60704577
>2017
>Using windows backup
>>
any open source libs for generating reports and documents like invoices and shit?
>>
>>60705649
Any alternatives you'd recommend? I used it since it comes installed with Windows, does it have a bad reputation?
>>
>>60705643
You're probably going to want to ask that on the relevant forums, which you'll be checking out anyway. One way or another you should be able to get the job done.
>>
>>60705674
The whole point of a VM is that it can't touch your actual PC so I would assume I couldn't use it to overclock. Whatever, I'll just use my GNU/Linux laptop for anything involving personal information.
>>
>>60705642
Sometimes routers come with custom utilities for shit like file/printer sharing, but 99% of the time you should be able to do everything you want from the webGUI. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
hey /g/
if 2 people are generating a tripcode for the same thing say like nigger, what is the likelihood of them both getting the same tripcode characters?
>>
>>60705693
I highly doubt linux users are just up shits creek when it comes to overclocking. That would be a pretty big oversight for AMD.
>>
>>60705700
100%
#tryit
>>
>>60705584
yeah and get a USB dock too. I have one. Best 11 bucks I ever spent.

well that and my HDMI to VGA adapter too
>>
>>60705710
>>
>>60705710
>>
>>60705693
The point of a VM is to run more than one OS at a time. You can use that for isolation, or not. And passing through certain hardware is not the same as allowing the OS to write to your storage, although it theoretically could open more potential attack vectors.
>>
>>60705694
Thanks, this was the only thing bothering me about the device and didn't want to change it just because one goddamn nuisance. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>60705664
It's one of those things that 3rd parties do way better than microsoft.

http://www.freefilesync.org/
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/download.htm
>>
What's the point of having a /home partition and a /root partition instead of having a single partition for both of them?
>>
File: 1433446962326.jpg (395KB, 3283x2188px) Image search: [Google]
1433446962326.jpg
395KB, 3283x2188px
I'm tasked with fixing the WiFi of a school because most students can't connect to the WiFi without doing it multiple times, including adding and removing the WiFi in their lists. Both on laptops and phones.
So far I gathered this:
1) There are two routers. One has WPA, the second one WPA2 PSK.
2)They both have the same SSID, Fr example: installgentoo
3)When you try to connect, it connects to the one with the better security, which is always weaker than the less secured one. So it usually fails to connect.
So what would be the easiest fix? They can't be removed, they're cabled in somewhere in a fucking wall. Would changing the SSID of one router to, for example, installgentoo2, work?
>>
>>60705785
You would put /home on a different partition if you wanted your memes on another hard drive.
>>
>>60705792
why not change them both to use the same security?
although wpa is so useless you might as well just remove it
>>
>>60705792
a) change WPA one to use WPA2
b) change WPA2 to use WPA
c) buy better routers/APs
>>
So today the SATA port connected to my SSD died. Had to switch to one of the 3 unused ones.
I've had this PC for a month tops.

Is it just bad luck, or could this be indicative of a bigger problem?
>>
>>60705829
maybe you just plugged it in badly and something bent.
>>
>>60705752
Thanks for recommendations, I'm looking into it right now.
>>
can I get a quick rundown with what has happened in tech lately?
haven't been on /g/ much for quite a few months now
>>
>>60705792
Changing the SSID of one would allow users to choose which network they connect to, but shouldn't be necessary if everything is working correctly. You want people to be able to flow back and forth seamlessly, and not need second logins. If the security settings are giving you problems, scale the wpa2 back so they match. Better yet, see if you can find a custom firmware that the older router supports. Also make sure they're on different channels, preferably 1 and 11.
>>
>>60705836
It's possible to be such a klutz? Well it's weird that it would just randomly give out after working for a month.

When googling, I found the following
>It looks like the motherboard is dying the little asus fan is to cool the chip set and is essential for trouble free operation. Yes it will burn out the chip set that holds the SATA controller.
If it is not to late you can replace the chip set cooler.
and now I'm worried.
>>
What exactly am I missing if I use Windows 7/8.1 on Ryzen? What's so special about 10?
>>
>>60705891
DX12, some stuff I don't really mind about.
>>
>>60705854
>Vega TBA
>Intel i9
>AMD Threadripper
>OnePlus 5 soon coming
basically nothing missed
>>
File: 1439021178567.png (52KB, 656x481px) Image search: [Google]
1439021178567.png
52KB, 656x481px
Is there any hope for it or should I just get rid of and start looking for a new one?
>>
>>60705653
no one?
>>
>>60705909
What's the other stuff? I knew about DX12.
>>
Are there any internet browsers that allow me this functionality, either natively or with help of extensions:
Block all images from loading automatically, but allow the user to selectively load specific images on the page - without reloading the page.
>>
Is battery discharge percentage based or is it at a sort of flat rate?

Aka, if I have a 1000 mAh battery and a 2000 mAh battery, if everything else about the battery is the same and they're stored in the same conditions (stored in a device that's powered off), will they be "dead" at sort of the same moment or will the 2000 mAh far outlast the 1000 mAh?
>>
Where can I get the clean Win7 Ultimate ISO from digital river? Also what happened to Dazloader?
>>
How do I make chromium use qt's file picker?
>>
is there any possible way to partition space off of a disk that's already in use?
>>
>>60706586
>Also what happened to Dazloader?
what do you mean?
I doubt it suddenly stopped working
>>
>>60706781
Where can I get it?
>>
whats a good free work processor that isn't a pirated version of microsoft office?
>>
Everything use to work fine but now everytime i torrent (qbittorrent on win 8.1) after a while all the other applications (firefox, soulseek etc) lose connection to the internet. The computer is still connected to the internet and qbittorrent continues to work. Any idea of what's going on or how to diagnose? Thanks
>>
>>60706805
same place as always?
https://pirateproxy.cc/torrent/11060926/Windows_Loader_v2_2_2_by_Daz
>>
>>60706805
i have a copy of it on my dropbox, one sec
>>
>>60706843
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j0ahd5xe6vfp7pk/AABluLq3J4y7SJ0sdwBALVGya?dl=0
>>
I need to use a VPN for certain apps to work but the VPN doesn't allow me to post on 4chan.

I was trying to set up a route in the routing tables but I'm still getting filtered by 4chan.

On OS X.

What I tried was
sudo route -nv add 104.16.119.221 [my.router.ip]

I got the 104.16.119.221 by pinging 4chan.org
>>
>>60706821
libreoffice
>>
>>60706586
http://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

>>60706725
Yes, on windows you can do it in disk management, and if you don't have luck there, use easeus partition manager.

>>60706835
Do other devices in the house connect smoothly while this is happening?
>>
>>60706581
I think deadness caps at a certain percentage
>>
>>60707062
could it be that once I connect to the VPN my router's address gets in turn routed through the VPN so even if I try routing through it it's just sending me back through the VPN?
How do I create a direct line to 4chan's server that bypasses the VPN?

how do I figure out what the gateway IP should be?

or maybe is it that posting on 4chan calls some other server that isn't 4chan.org so the DNS I'm using doesn't work?
>>
>>60707173
>Do other devices in the house connect smoothly while this is happening?
Yes
>>
>>60706842
>>60706871
Thanks
>>
>>60705829
>>60705865
Anyone?
Do I have to be worried or can I just forget about it?
>>
>>60707239
Use the pastebin's advice on checking the hash. You don't want to be installing some shady botnet shit.
>>
how do you setup dual monitors for bspwm
bspwm thinks my other monitor is the primary monitor
halp
>>
>>60707226
Is it happening right now? Maybe see if file transfers still work. Also if it's over wireless try switching to wired to see if it makes a difference. You could try reinstalling your wireless drivers, switching torrent clients, and rebooting your router.

>>60707246
Could be a manufacturing defect, or maybe you introduced static somewhere on accident. If you've only had it a few weeks I would RMA it just to be on the safe side.

>>60707218
Policy based routing can be a pain in the ass. Unless you can find a guide specific to macs I don't think you're going to get very far, although some types of VPN have more options/integration than others. The easiest thing would be to do your VPN shit inside a VM, or just shell out for a 4chan pass.
>>
File: 1495846915281.jpg (10KB, 379x245px) Image search: [Google]
1495846915281.jpg
10KB, 379x245px
So I bought a mobo without a pci-e x1 which I need for a wire network card. My mobo had 2 pci and 2 pci-e x16's. Is it possible to stick it in the pci-e x1 into the x16 slot?
>>
>>60707422
aren't VPN bans different from ISP/IP Range bans?
I don't think 4chan gold goes around VPN bans
>>
>>60707422
Thanks man.
>>
>>60707525
No, if it's like a work VPN etc that actually bans the site, then that won't help. If you mean that 4chan refuses to let you post over vpn, then the pass could get around it.
>>
I'm trying to get streamlink to work but it just gives me a "ImportError: No module named 'urllib3'"

Windows 10, latest build.
>>
I tested several Linux distros a couple months ago on live usb and they worked fine.
Now I'm ready to commit to one, but now nothing boots for me anymore. Every time I boot from the pendrive, initialization starts and after about the fourth element the whole PC locks up, black screen, then nothing happens.
I have not changed any UEFI settings, secure boot is also off.
>>
File: DgzG6CM[1].png (5KB, 362x74px) Image search: [Google]
DgzG6CM[1].png
5KB, 362x74px
>>60707623
>If you mean that 4chan refuses to let you post over vpn, then the pass could get around it.
I've forgotten to turn off proxies while trying to post on 4chan a few times, it tells you you're banned & redirects you to the banned page saying permanent ban due to proxy or whatever. Doesn't (or atleast didn't) mention anything about 4chan gold as far as I remember

However, I do have an ISP ban during certain hours exclusively on /v/ right now for some reason and it gives this message. Which is the one you can alleviate with 4chan gold

are you sure you're not mixing these two up?
>>
>>60707841
4chan blocking because of VPN -pass works

Home ISP blocking, bypassed by VPN -pass works

4chan themselves banning your ISP -pass works

-

VPN provider's block at exit node -pass doesn't
>>
Hey guise. Someone may remember me from this thread a few days ago, but I have a project in which I'm going to parse a pdf with a bunch of questions and answers, and, depending on the user input, grab the best matching answer from the answers.
What tool or idea should I go to deal with it? I'm reading about text classification, machine learning, NLTP, but I can't figure out what's the best way to go with it. At first I thought about using a chatbot and training him with the answers, but is that a good approach?
>>
I am fucking done with reading all that bullshit about NUMA and Ryzen and not getting it. Wiki page says that NUMA is memory access characteristic e.g. two CPUs access their own memory. Isn't Ryzen accessing all memory through one memory controller?

Is there a good article explaining that?
>>
>>60708121
>depending on the user input
what do you mean by this ?

Is your endgame to have your user ask your program some question from the set of questions on the pdf and than have your program select the best answer ? Do you expect your user to ask a different question than those on the pdf but still have your program select an answer ?

what do you want to train your chatbot to do ?
>>
Whats a /g/ud torrent client for android?
>>
Are there any good websites/books were I can read more about the application fields of different languages? I'd also want to know what combinations of languages are useful to know?
I already know a bit about Java and Lisp (Scheme) and have a textbook for programming in C.
>>
>>60708622
as far as I understand there will either be a random or a set list of questions.
He wants the bot to find the best given answer to that question from the pdf where the answers will be (I'm guessing) semi random

seems a bit complex IMO because as far as I know machine learning needs an easy way to rate possible actions. With questions it's hard to determine what's correct and what's not since they're pretty open ended especially if you're looking for "closest" instead of correct
>>
>>60708121
So, you have a predefined set of results for each answer and want to select one of them having user input. How does user input match the result?
>>
>>60708658
>>60708622
>>60708715

I want the program to find the best answer based on the user question. The answers are very specific, and I want that, if the user types "What is the meaning of existence?" the program will match the question keywords and stuff and give the most relevant answer. I know it won't be 100% accurate, but I'd like to at least know how I should be doing it.
>>
File: gear-vr-touch-controller-1.jpg (365KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gear-vr-touch-controller-1.jpg
365KB, 1600x1200px
Anyone know if the Gear VR controller (pic related) is compatible with the S7 inside the first version of the Gear VR?
>>
>>60708658
is your input a single pdf with questions and answers or a collection of pdfs with different answers to the same questions and you'd have to select the best answer ?

also one ez way to deal with this would be to approach the problem as a search query into a corpus where you would extract keywords from user question, match these against your set of predefined questions and return the answer to the top ranked question or something
>>
>>60708655
java C family(C#, C++, whatever you want nigga) HTML & CSS should be all you ever need
>>
>>60708637
libretorrent
>>
>>60707422
>Unless you can find a guide specific to macs
I was trying this one I found
https://www.bestvpn.com/how-to-bypass-vpn-for-specific-websites/
I have another VPN service (torguard) but I assume it should work similarly.
It's not very detailed when it comes to OS X though so it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong rather than it being impossible.
I'm going to try contacting TorGuard support and seeing if they can help me figure it out.

>>60707525
Depends on the VPN. With my VPN 4chan explicitly tells me that a 4chan pass would get around the issue.
Honestly though, I think 4chan passes are way too expensive for the service provided.
>>
>>60708766
>>60708783
ye this looks like a search problem not a supervised learning one
index your set of questions, extract keywords from user input, get best ranked question's answer

ghetto way of doing it would probably be to stem and remove stopwords from question set and user input and to rank results using tf/idf or something
otherwise look into some search algorithm, use rake to extract keywords and maybe spellcheck user input's question first

these doods have good libs and tutorials for nlp stuff
https://nlp.stanford.edu/you can also use some nlp toolkit in your language of choice, for instance lucene in java
>>
>>60708856
>Honestly though, I think 4chan passes are way too expensive for the service provided.
they're not meant to provide service, they're supposed to be a way to support the site

the services they do provide are because someone with 4chan gold has a much lower risk of breaking serious rules like advertising or child porn or whatever
>>
>>60708873
I get that, but I still think it's too much.
If it were more like 5$ a year I'd be more willing to get one.
>>
>>60708862
>>60708783

I already parsed the pdf for the answers and saved them on a list. I need to sanitize the output first too, but it werks.
I really wanted it to be a machine learning problem, but oh well. Is there anyway I can fit machine learning on this? Also, it's not in English.
I'd want to use python too. Can't I feed the data to a training corpus from a chatbot and work from there?
>>
>>60708904
Just finishing my statement, this is for a college project, and I want to make something different, and machine learning would be an awesome point maker.
>>
>>60708898
get one every four years
it's probably been out for a few already, no idea when it came out
>>
>>60708995
Ehhh i dunno. Don't really feel like spending 20$ on it all in one go.
When they start providing 5$ options I'll do it.
>>
>>60708904
idk you probably can put everything into some nn framework and have it barf a model at you or something, but i'm even more clueless about nn than i am about traditional nlp stuff so idk, i'not even sure it would be especially efficient

another weird approach could be to use words2vec or whatever it's called to turn your data into vectors and find answers doing funky vectorial calculations

your data not being in english souldn't be too problematic as long as you make sure to use appropriate language specific algorithms when appropriate (stemming algorithms, phonetic algorithms ..)
>>
>>60709029
It's a pretty big scale project, and since I'm interested in ML, I wanted to do something like that. My professor already gave this idea, but I wanted it to be ML. I thought at first about using a chatbot, but it wouldn't be exactly a chatbot if the user only asks one question and it answers with a gigantic wall of text.
The data I have is probably around 10k questions and answers from varied areas. Is that enough for "training" a model?
>>
Hi /g/
I'm trying to install gimp on my office laptop so I can make a flyer to impress the older sales team staff. The problem is I can't install anything because I don't have the right permission. Is there a way I can sneak around this? Alternatively, is there a decent image editor I can work with online?
>>
>>60709018
if you don't want to support the site that's fine, just don't say "oh I would do it if there was a cheaper option"

it's apparently been out for like 5 years, so you could buy one now for the past 5 years & buy another in four
>>
>>60709111
>The problem is I can't install anything because I don't have the right permission.
I don't think you'll impress anyone like that anon
>>
is it worth it to get a $20 SSD just to install my OS and maybe 1 or 2 programs for faster booting/workflow?
>>
>>60709071
no idea
my understanding is that you either want to refine a pretrained model or to have very large set of data to train one from scratch
look into frameworks then try to find a nice pretrained model, i heard tensorflow and cofee are the shit but these mostly seem aimed at image recognition stuff
https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/wiki/Model-Zoo

you're probably in for some long cosy hours reading research papers to find out how the fuck these work so good luck
>>
>>60709111
https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable
>>
Can virusses spread trough a home network?
My sister is really stupid when it comes to computers and she doesn't listen to me when I tell her what to watch out for.
Her computer is full of virusses and that's good for her if she doesn't care but I want to prevent my computer from getting some of that.
We're connected to the same router and network, and in a network. (I don't share folders, she shares some folders)
>>
>>60709196
yes
>>
>>60709199
For fuck sake.
Is there a way not to be part of a home network when we're connected to the same router / connection?
>>
>>60709196
It can happen, but usually though folder sharing. If you want to throw on comodo firewall you can, but I'd say it's overkill.
>>
What's a good and non-botnet web browser for Android?
>>
>>60709222
Thank you for your recommendation.
I have disabled sharing of my folders and I never copy anything from her computer or the network HDD she hooked up.
I will throw in the comodo firewall though, thanks.

Is there no way to completely disable a home network though?
Or well, so that I'm not part of it anymore.
>>
>>60709281
i like firefox but everybody's hating on mozilla these days
>>
>>60709351
can't be a true playa without niggas hating
>>
>>60709301
The "home network" is the very thing the internet travels through to your computers. You can put you or her outside of the network, via the DMZ setting on the router, but that person will be unfirewalled at the router level, which creates a lot of risk. Router's hardware firewalls are much more effective than software ones. You could also stick one of you behind a second router, which would introduce latency and close the nat type but mostly work as normal.
>>
>>60709399
We actually do have two routers in our house. Would it be better to connect to the other router or would that make no difference?
>>
Is VR worth it? I see a bunch of games on Steam that require a VR headset, but I don't know if it's already worth it buying one as they're still being developed.

And if so, which one?
>>
>>60709071
>>60708949
>>60708904
>>60708766
>>60708121

Anybody else? Thanks to the anon who helped, I'l try to read some more stuff, but maybe some other dude knows more about ML.
>>
I'm so fucking confused. I bouhht a new Router yesterday, and it works with my phone, tablet, and PS4, but with my PC I connect and it says "Connected no internet access" what the fuck? I reset it, but that's not doing shit.
>>
>>60709525
There are a lot of ways two routers can be connected to eachother. Like I said, you would need to have one router behind the other, meaning they would both have to be fully functioning routers with DHCP enabled on both. Putting the secondary in a DMZ should minimize consequences, by basically putting it outside the first one's firewall.
>>
>>60709532
The general consensus is that it's still a novelty that could work out, or could go the way of 3D.
>>
>>60709635
Try assigning it a manual IP
>>
>>60709399
>Router's hardware firewalls are much more effective than software ones.
a routers' firewall is still software
there's no such thing as a "hardware firewall", only hardware used specifically for the purpose of running a software firewall
>>
>>60709700
Tried, no luck
>>
>>60709675
Thanks, as far as I understand there's pretty much no way to reduce the risk of data being ''shared over'' completely, as in 100%.
But I can eleminate the risk by quite a bit?
>>
>>60709712
Semantically you're not wrong. Those are just the terms that are commonly used. The firewall on a dedicated router is far more effective and critical than the one used on a PC.
>>
>>60709757
only due to the fact that it's much harder to bypass the firewall on a machine separate to your own
it would be more accurate to call it an "external firewall" rather than a hardware firewall though
>>
>>60709712
>there's no such thing as a "hardware firewall"
what if you light the cable on fire
>>
>>60709800
that would be a firecable, then, wouldn't it?
>>
>>60709747
I mean, a literal 100% is almost unheard of in digital security, but if you isolate one router in the DMZ of another, you're damn close to being completely isolated. You'd practically have to hack the router to pull it off.
>>
>>60709808
>>60709800
wait no, a firewire

ugh, how could i miss that joke
>>
>>60709786
I didn't name them. They are commonly referred to as hardware firewalls. You will not be able to achieve within windows, even with third party software, anything close to the security of a NAT enabled dedicated firewall. If you're working with linux and you know really know what your doing, then you can much closer, although still without the same level of isolation.
>>
>>60709800
Nice dude, I will try this. Thanks
>>
>>60709815
Thanks a lot, I will look into that then.
>>
>>60705785
A separate /home partition makes it harder to screw up your personal files while doing a major upgrade to the OS. Note that I said "harder" not "impossible." Always have a backup of what you don't want to lose before making large changes.
>>
Anyone know why CPU 0 keeps sitting at 50% usage at idle?
Using Windows 10 pro
>>
>>60710313
maybe your cpu is just shit

idle isn't idle, there's still a lot of shit running
>>
File: 2017-03-07T233248434820297-0500.png (74KB, 249x294px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-07T233248434820297-0500.png
74KB, 249x294px
Where can I find a mega or something of technology books?
>>
File: cpu 0.jpg (67KB, 651x476px) Image search: [Google]
cpu 0.jpg
67KB, 651x476px
>>60710313
>>60710345
Forgot pic, my CPU isn't shit at all and it only started doing this since today
>>
>>60710351
I think /t/ has a thread of books for different fields.
>>
>>60710351
look for gentoomen library torrent on installgentoo wiki
lots of outdated stuff tho
>>
File: 1476143276550.jpg (87KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1476143276550.jpg
87KB, 1000x1500px
I have an internet cable hooked in a wifi router. now i got another router and want to connect this two somehow so they both have access from that cable but for them to have different wireless networks. basically i want two separate wireless networks on a single connection. is this possible? can anyone help? tried googling and all solutions involve modems and other stuff which i don't have. my internet cable is straightly hooked into the wifi router.
>>
>>60710373
check performance->resource manager to see what's eating it up
>>
>>60703662
In your own words, explain the difference between linking and embedding.

Linking is putting a link to an external file into the document and embedding is to make the files together as one.

Why am I wrong?
>>
>>60710437
FYI your primary router is probably a modem/router combo. How you set it up depends on what you are trying to achieve. In what way do you want the wireless networks to be seperate? Are you >>60709196 ?
>>
>>60710470
>>60710373
>>60710313
Looks like its fixed now
Windows update reset the shutdown options to not actually fully shutting down
As Windows is completely shit, of course things got fucked after a while, so that happened
systeminterruptions was the process that caused it
An actual restart later and it now works
>>
>>60710551
difference between passing a reference & passing an object I think
>>
Am I okay to get a gtx 1060 6gb gpu with a ryzen 5 1600x.

There won't be any kind of clash or bad compatability between them? I'm retarded at pc's.
>>
File: 1472757120560.jpg (50KB, 660x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1472757120560.jpg
50KB, 660x1000px
>>60710597
no i'm not that guy. ill explain more hope it will make sense
i have my internet cable hooked up directly into router in WAN port and also my pc in LAN port, i have everything set up and it works just fine.
now i want to connect second the exact same type of router to the first one, and i want to make separate wireless network on that router with different password and stuff. i tried to connect them by LAN cable but it didn't work.
>>
How do I completely wipe / nuke a computer and all the data it had on it so that it's as if it were fresh from the factory?
>>
>>60710724
Alright, it doesn't seem like figuring out where your internet comes from is very important here, so I'll set that aside. It's probably most efficient to ask WHY you want two separate networks, rather than a simple extension of your existing one?
>>
>>60710733
Figure out what its recovery option is, prepare it, DBAN if possible, restore from recovery.
>>
File: 1452832757276.jpg (710KB, 2048x3089px) Image search: [Google]
1452832757276.jpg
710KB, 2048x3089px
>>60710788
it is just a simple deal a neighbour made with me, she will pay half of the internet fee and i'll share my internet. she has a barber shop and wants wifi there and probably she is gonna make it public or give password to all the customers so i would like her to have a separate network
>>
>>60708376
>>60708376
>>60708376
bump
>>
>>60709191
Thanks anon.
>>
Which torrent client has the best RSS support on Windows? Been using uTorrent 2.2.1 since forever but its RSS setup thing is kind of really fucking terrible.
>>
HDD doesn't seem to power up; makes no sound.

Would this be the kind of error that can be fixed with a new PCB? Also, does PCB replacement need anything other than the special screwdriver?
>>
>>60710866
You want the ethernet cable running from a LAN port on the primary to the WAN port on the secondary. You want to change the settings on the primary so that the secondary is in a DMZ. If the routers are going to overlap their range very much, put one's wireless on channel 1 and the other on 11. If the primary router's local IP is 192.168.0.1, then make it's DHCP range 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.120, and make the second router's WAN IP 192.168.0.2

For the second routers LAN IP, choose 192.168.x.1, where x is anything other than the subnet you used for the primary.
>>
how can i make a win10 bootable usb on linux? i tried the shit i found on stackoverflow, tried dd, can't make it work - just get os not found on boot
>>
I need a good mic for some voice acting. I have a low budget ($40) and I'm not sure if I can get anything worthwhile for that price
>>
>>60711142
Nice tits
>>
>>60711142
summerfag respect the rules
>>
>laptop has dual gpu
>amd one stops working
>reformat pc
>not recognized by speccy, gpu-z, device manager
>no catalyst driver ever install because "no amd hardware was found"

Please mention even the remotest chance I have of getting it functioning back cause I'm just desperate (and broke).
>>
I keep getting a box appear for half a second on my computer windows 10 pro,
i just installed this shit, just got everything downloaded now this stupid box pops up for a fraction of a second every so often, how do i fix this?
>>
Who exactly is the Shitwrecker and why is he called the Shitwrecker?
>>
>>60710808
I've got Windows on USB.
Do you mean that by recovery?
>>
>>60703662
How the hell do i benchmark the javaGC?
Xint dosent seem really work because it still varies too much.
>>
>>60711574
You can call System.gc() to suggest a garbage collection. Try calling it in your application and measure it.
>>
If I get a shit ton of chink SD cards and raid them together is it better than an ssd
>>
>>60711645
>to suggest a garbage collection. Try calling it in your application and measure it.
Problem is that i dont have access to the source code of the benchmark suite, so i have to somehow make sure it stay consistent across vm invocations
>>
So my external hard drive got unplugged when I was downloading a torrent but I plugged it back in, checked it and it seemed to be fine. However now I can't find the files on my external hard drive but I can play them if I go to my recent files. If I remove my hard drive while playing the file, it closes so they're obviously on there somewhere, how do I find them?
>>
>>60711719
If this is on Windows I think you can right click the file in the "recent files" window and select "view in explorer". That should open the folder where the file is located.
>>
>>60711745
Unfortunately its on >Mac. Its weird though because I've checked the default folder it should be in and its not there and when I search for it, it doesn't show up.
>>
>>60711142
blue board
delete this post
>>
>>60711961
women can be topless mang
its not not safe for work
>>
Need some help with Windows registry files

Hi, I'm going to install Windows 10, and I'm going to look into register to try and remove/modify what I don't like.
I'm gonna Google how to, but I'm not sure what exactly to remove.
Cortana for sure, then I guess all those apps, what else?

Also, is there a reason I should install Windows 10 Pro over Home?
>>
My dad has an old GPS which uses iGo Amigo, but it feels limited.
Are there any free or open source projects which could replace it?
>>
Been trying to install tomahawk on devuan by following the github debian instructions. During the process it told me I need to install boost. Is there a specific libboost package I need to install from my repositories or is there another way I need to go about this?
>>
Going to burn some songs to a CD. What's a good program to use? Windows Media Player is fucked and doesn't want to burn a bunch of them.
>>
>>60712660
Are you from the 90s ?
>>
>>60712643
nvm got it. In case anybody is retarded like me the package is libboost-filesystem-dev
>>
>>60712701
No but my car is from 2005. Want to listen to some songs during my commute because everything on the radio nowadays is shit.
>>
File: 836767367356.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
836767367356.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freshtech-Computer-Motherboard-Performance-Certified/dp/B01FKZYAMI/ref=sr_1_29?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1496431335&sr=1-29&keywords=i7+gtx+1060

is this a good deal, is there anythign that needs changing? I'm buying this PC to play and stream quake champions.
>>
>>60712962
it still uses DDR3 RAM which is already obsolete, so you can't reuse that when you upgrade.
there's no SSD, I wouldn't want to work on a computer without an SSD anymore.

looks alright otherwise, though I'd recommend buying the parts and assembling it yourself.
more fun and you'll know how to fix or replace stuff later on.
>>
Strictly theoretically, how expensive is it to implement AR technology in a mobile app?
>>
>>60712049
>post was deleted
yeah fuck you
>>
>>60713277
Most of the companies hawking AR frame works have free, watermarked, versions to try out before you commit to buying a license. Don't expect any thing but a flagship or near flagship level phone to give you decent frame rates, though.
>>
How can I analyze a USB signal easily using an oscilloscope? I'm primarily wanting to look at the power lines to measure noise, while the device is under load. As such I was thinking some kind of board with 2 female connectors and test points to sit in series would be ideal but I cannot for the life of me find one online. Any ideas?
>>
File: 1489214923762.jpg (653KB, 3000x2805px) Image search: [Google]
1489214923762.jpg
653KB, 3000x2805px
I know how to code in java and c++ but havent done so in like 4 years, whats some books or websites to help me get back into it? lessons, projects etc
>>
should I buy a laptop with an nVidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti at about $1k?
>>
>>60713704
why not
>>
>>60713704
If you have some level of autism you could build a more powerful mini-ITX pc with carry handle and detachable screen, wireless kbd/mouse for about the same price.
>>
Ok, so, I know "not your personal tech support" but I don't know where else to ask.
My brother has a Galaxy S7, which he bought from T-Mobile. He switched to MetroPCS and had his phone working.
He paid the bill, and now his phone isn't working with anything. No network connectivity or data.
He went to the store, and their excuse is that he still owes T-Mobile money on the phone, so they locked it down. Is there any way I can circumvent this so he can use his phone on Metro again?
>>
How difficult would it be to set up my own implementation of Google's SMS search? Google killed it a few years ago. I imagine I could just use some script and a Google Voice number but I'm not sure.
>>
>>60713859
I think that would be going beyond my level of autism
>>60713854
I'm afraid the pascal is just a meme
>>
>>60714131
Pay T-Mobile the money he owes.
>>
>>60711719
Bumping this. I think the location where I saved it may not exist but its went there anyway.
>>
>>60714647
Does your player not display the file path? Perhaps if you went to save it or something. What about the torrent client? Have you tried the search function?

The only time I've ever had to touch a Mac was when I helped my aunt find a file that had gone missing. Coincidence?
>>
>>60714822
I deleted the torrent after, does qbittorrent have a history feature for it? I've tried searching through the files.
>>
>>60714496
He already paid them off.
About 2 months ago, when he switched. He's been on time with his payments, and all of them have been paid in full. So should he just call T-Mobile and have them re-enable it? Or would they not do that?
>>
>>60715007
Sorry anon, I have no idea
>>
Where could I get a nice guide to lighttpd and php that is not outdated? I tried googling for a few days and nothing up to date came up beside some basic tutorials.

I'm more concerned about leaving holes and stuff. Thanks guys.
>>
>>60715071
https://encrypted.google.com/webhp#tbs=qdr:y&q=lighttpd+php+tutorial
>>
>>60715152
Thanks anon, I don't know why I didn't get that kind of results when filtering by date. I will take another look.
>>
>run the wsus update installer
>only choose one update to install
>command prompt opens
>ignore
>
>scroll up
>it's been three fucking hours
Am I destined to meet my fate here.
>>
should I delid skylake i5 6600k?

>OCed to 4.4 with minor voltage bump
>86°C when playing subnautica
>change heatsink from freezer 11 to H7
>82°C when playing subnautica

issue is

1. skylake is supposedly much more fragile
2. benefits are not as great as they were with previous gens
3. unsure about gluing back the heatspreader, different opinions on it around the internet

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/21/relid_your_intel_cpu_on_cheap_no_delid_tools/
>>
How can I install KB2999226 Update for Universal C Runtime on a Kaby Lake machine running Windows 7?
>>
File: 1496437878251.png (29KB, 881x658px) Image search: [Google]
1496437878251.png
29KB, 881x658px
Was messing around with Window 93 and found pic related. How do I learn about how these songs are made (which keywords are linked to this program?)? I wanna make this with C++.
>>
>>60715796
Google beatbyte
>>
My Gentoo install has been acting weird lately, normal users can't use ping,export,reboot,shutdown or create wireless connections.
Nothing online is helpful at all.
How do I fix this?
>>
>>60704155
I would like to know too
>>
>>60711536
If you don't want anything but bare windows installed, then yes.
>>
Im at school in the electrical field, which language would be worth learning if I'm heading towards automation, C or C++?
>>
File: 1460924217272.png (44KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1460924217272.png
44KB, 658x662px
can someone explain to me how CPUs work?

i want to stream minecraft to twitch in a decent quality. why isn't my i3 6100 capable of that? i tried everything google said and the only possible way for me to stream smoothly is in a mediocre quality.
i think i should have bought an AMD a8 in the same price range. they have more cores so maybe that would help?
>>
>>60716562
C obviously, python too and ladder(assembler).
>>
>>60716703
1. it could be a bandwidth issue, stream quality is limited by your upload speed
2. encoder settings can make a dramatic difference, though keep in mind that the faster you encode, the less quality you'll get out of your upload bandwidth, it's a balancing game
3. considering settings your capture software to a higher cpu priority than minecraft, also consider pinning minecraft to one core
>>
What should I google if I want to stream movies in a regular Raspbian install? something like Popcorn Time.
>>
>>60716703
Use Intel QuickSync, your CPU is far too crappy to stream using software encoding.
>>
>>60715508
>should I delid
No. Sell it and buy something soldered. Make it someone else's problem.
>>
>>60713665
Look at your old code until it comes back to you. Try to mess around with your old code. Make a new project based on it. That's what I did after a 4-5 year break.
>>
>>60715197
Check task manager lol.
>>
Is downloading a Windows 10 iso from TPB safe?

Ever since the release of Vista, I've been downloading and using OS's downloaded from TPB. Then recently I read someone saying that they're all shipped with remote access capabilites.

Spooked, I switched to Linux. Now, a few months later, I miss a few convenient windows-only programs. I miss vidya too.

What should I do, /sqt/ ? Should I download the latest W10 image?
>>
>>60717380
windows 10 ships with remote access capability even if you get it off the shelf
>>
>>60717380
You can get Windows 10 isos directly from Microsoft without having to provide a valid product key or anything. Keep >>60717406 in mind though.
>>
I have 10,000+ folders.
In each of these folders are image files and misc files.I want to recursively traverse the folders and remove everything but the image files.
What command has this potential?
>>
>>60717797
assuming linux i'd do this by piping commands, something like
find -type f -exec file {} + | egrep -v '[Ii]mage' | sed 's/: .*//' | xargs mv -t SOME_DIRECTORY

the first command finds all files and executes the "file" command on them, which prints their file type
the second command selects all files whose type is NOT image (that's the -v)
the third removes the type from the line, so only the filename remains
the fourth moves all the files to SOME_DIRECTORY
try running each command to see that the output is what you expect
>>
>>60717797
>>60717870
if you want to preserve the directory hierarchy then what i'd probably do is copy the whole hierarchy to the new location and then use xargs rm to delete the files you don't want. moving a subset of files while preserving their hierarchy is a little tough
>>
why the fuck does a complete fresh installation of ubuntu desktop have 1600+ packages in neofetch/screenfetch when a complete Arch/Solus/Void/whatever even with GNOME installed has close to 600, with no loss of functionality? Am I missing some big botnet dependency chain that I can remove?
>>
>>60717797
>>60717870
>>60717889
oh, and obviously backup before you run gargantuan rm commands on 10,000 directories
>>
>>60717896
why don't you dpkg -l and diff them?
>>
I just installed Kodi.
What's next assuming I want to watch pirate content? any repos or addons that are a must?
>>
>>60717889
>>60717870
he didn't say he wanted to copy anything, just remove non-image files

>>60717797
try this
find ~/Pictures -type f -not \( -iname "*.jpg" -or -iname "*.gif" -or -iname "*.png" -or -iname "*.jpeg" -or -iname "*.jpe" \) | while read line; do echo "$line" >> files\ to\ delet.txt; done

check the text file if there's anything you want to keep, then change
while read line; do echo "$line" >> files\ to\ delet.txt; done

to
while read line; do rm "$line"; done
>>
>>60716703
stream with your video card, either intel quicksync like the other guy said, or nvidia shadow... shadowplay or whatever, or the amd equivalent.
>>
What's the best way to password protect a folder on an external hard drive? I'm on windows 10. Doesn't have to be super sophisticated, just secure enough to keep my kids out of my porn.
>>
Is there a good host for flask? Should I get a VPS?
>>
File: file.png (26KB, 1864x577px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
26KB, 1864x577px
>>60718322
Also, who of these is the best?
I haven't ever registered a real domain before.
>>
>>60718392
I've used both 1&1 and GoDaddy for registration. They were both fine.
>>
>>60718392
Namecheap's nice
>>
>>60718286
gpg
>>
>>60718470
DO NOT USE GODADDY
THEY ARE DOGSHIT AND HAVE CONSTANT DNS ERRORS.

Use namecheap
>>
Can adding more CPU voltage cause throttling?
>>
>>60718580
Probably. Especially if your heatsink/cooler isn't up to the task.
>>
I want to block the sponsored ads on 4chan through my host file. Anyone know what all the urls are?
>>
>>60718707
Look in your browser's network monitor thing.
>>
I really need help. So, I got a new router yesterday and it was working fine till about 5 today. Here's the deal, I'm connected to the internet on my PC, but I can't use things like firefox, chrome, skype, or steam. It says I'm offline on Steam right now for example n but I am technically connected to the internet. Any help would be appreciated. I'm on Windows 7 btw, and tuping this on my phone.
>>
>>60718748
i think i can only block the images?
>>
>>60718762
Pls respond
>>
I'm stuck here /g/. I'm looking to buy the Dexter complete box set as well as breaking bad. (In B4 hurr buying)

The dilemma is either DVD or Blu-ray. The original television broadcast I assume was 480p. Does that mean the Blu-ray set is just 480p upscaled to 1080p? Thus arbitrarily increasing file size for no reason? Or am I mistaken? The price difference is $25 between DVD to Blu-ray for the same series set. Should I just buy the normal DVD set?
>>
>>60718895
Just because something was broadcasted in SD doesn't mean it was recorded in SD.
Get the blu-ray for both.
>>
>>60718762
>I'm connected to the internet on my PC,
Sure doesn't sound like it. What's working that makes you sure you're connected?
>>
File: 876.gif (2MB, 395x258px) Image search: [Google]
876.gif
2MB, 395x258px
I got a old i7 975x CPU, 12GB of RAM, Windows 10, Firefox 64.

PC is starting to slow down. I have dual monitor, but when I watch Netflix on one, and browse on the other its it keeps hanging up, freezing up, taking forever, poor response time.

Resource monitor shows no major load. PC is just acting slow.

yes, its an old PC. but what metrics can I view that will show what is happening?
>>
>>60718895
I have bluray rips of dexter, they don't look like upscales to me.
>>
>>60718890
You waited 11 minutes
fuck off
>>
>create partition for windows 10 install
>then merge the windows partition and the one with all my shit
Can this be done? I think it might be more convenient since I'm on unactivated windows 7
>>
File: 1488520331195.jpg (256KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1488520331195.jpg
256KB, 1280x960px
Say I wanna capture some footage of my PS4. If I grabbed something like an Elgato or AverMedia would I have to use there proprietary recording software or are there other (more free hopefully) programs that'll let me record my footage?

Also if you've got any recording device reccomendations I'd be very grateful
>>
Is there a way to run a program in 16bit color mode and leave everything else running in 32bit mode?
>>
>>60718989
HDD could be fucked.
Windows install corrupted.
Etc.

Try a Linux USB and check if the problems persist.
>>
>>60718978
At the Wireless Network Connection part of Windows, it literally says "Connected to the internet" and has the little symbol of a house, indicating that I'm connected.
>>
>>60718792
>>60718748
Alright I blocked one set but the other one with dog the bounty hunter and some other recommended creepy unexplained photos are linked coming from 4chan in an iframe?
>>
Would my electricity bill shoot up by much simply by having a Raspi turned on 24/7? it will be idling for most of the day except when I sit down to watch stuff maybe two or three hours a day.
>>
>>60717380
Check the SHA-1.
If it doesnt matches get rid of it.
>>
>>60719103
Its an SSD, and Windows 10 install is only 6 months old. Its slow out of a fresh install. PC is just old. you know how you use a PC too old for modern internetting? I have that PC. I just cant tell exactly what is causing it to act slow when Netflix is runnnig. Back in the day you could open task manger and see flash.exe sucking up resources, but I dont even have flash, or java installed. Not even Silverlight
>>
>>60719191
What error are you getting when trying to open a page in the browser?
>>
>>60719034
You can't merge partitions. you can either mount the partition under windows, and it'll act like another drive, or you can copy your shit to the other partition and delete it.
>>
Quick question.

I have a 4k TV, and want to get 4k blu-ray, but my TV isn't HDR. I don't necessarily care, because my TV was cheap, but I've heard the compression algorithm the new blu-ray players use to turn 10-bit HDR color to 8-bit non-HDR color are shit and colors end up looking worse than a standard blu-ray. However, in all the technical documentation I could find on my TV, the display does in fact support 10-bit color with 1.whatever billion colors, it just doesn't support the full HDR standard. The HDMI input also supports 10-bit color.

So my question is, will a blu-ray player see that my device isn't HDR, and automatically compress the colors to 8-bit, or will it see that it can support 10-bit color, leave the colors alone, and disregard all of the other parts of the HDR standard?
>>
>>60719235
No internet connection.
>>
>>60719202
A quick look on line puts the worst case power consumption at about that of an incandescent night light. Seven watts * 730 hours in a month gives 5.11 Kilowatt-hours. Somewhere on your bill will be your rate per kWh.
>>
>>60719202
no. the raspberry pi itself uses maybe 5W at full load. if your power is 13 cents per kwh, you could run it for almost 10 days for 13 cents. that's assuming you were constantly maxing out it's CPU
>>
i tried installing debian on my old ass subnotebook but it fails to boot. i reached the boot choice screen with lubuntu but that's the closest i've come. puppy linux didn't boot either.

tldr why doesn't debian boot on my hardware from 2000?
>>
>>60719202
No, a lighbulb (not a led one) uses more energy than a raspberry Pi.

Idle it will use 1-2w.
Under stress it will use 8w tops (Model B+ 3).
>>
>>60719337
For reference, google says the US average is 12 cents/kWH. So on average it'd cost you around 60 cents per month.
>>
>>60719317
Open a command prompt and ping first your router, then www.google.com, keep track of any errors.
>>
>>60719376
>ping first your router
I'm not sure how to do that, as stupid as that makes me sound
>>
>>60718762
Flush DNS cache.
release and renew IP.
>What

Run this in cmd:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Internet will go out and come back for your PC.
>>60719393
literally
Ping yourrouterwebsiteip

For example, to ping my router i need to use this command:
ping 192.168.0.1
>>
>>60719420
What's an IP?
>>
>>60719420
>>60719393
>How do i open cmd
Open your start menu, search for cmd, open it.

Or:

Windows key+R, write cmd in the run window.
>>
>>60719445
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

TLDR:
Your "Hello, im: x" card for the internet.
>>
>>60718895
>>60718973
this

my copy of The Wire for example, off bluray blows the fuck out of a lot of modern 1080p sources, despite being from 2002

even if it is just an SD rescale, it'll still be better than DVD, while DVD is a nice format, a bluray can provide a much cleaner SD picture than DVD can
if you want to rip them, a downscaled bluray SD copy will be better than a DVD copy
>>
>>60718895
>>60719548
oh, if you're just looking to save money, i guess you might feel morally ok with getting the DVD's and downloading bluray remuxes for actual viewing
it's up to you, but the point is that original broadcast doesn't always mean that was the actual source, plenty of re-scanned film made it onto bluray in far better than broadcast quality
>>
>>60719590
This. In a lot of cases older media has survived better because the film could be rescanned at a higher resolution. Digital productions, on the other hand, can never go higher than what they were mastered at.
>>
>>60718973
>>60718998
>>60719548
Ok thanks guys. I'll just pony up the extra $50 and get Blu-ray of both
>>
>>60719621
the mid-2000's was a dead zone for show quality, as things moved away from film, but HD wasn't always used, resulting in a lot of digital SD content that is forever SD
>>
>>60719640
Shit sucks. I wish studios would just jump to 8k or something (I don't see media going beyond 8k to be honest, as much as I love high resolution), so content could last longer. They'd get to resell it, and would already have the equipment.
>>
>>60719640
>>60719804
Also fuck Disney for dragging their heels on 4k. I wouldn't give a shit, but they own so much of the media world a lot of shit isn't seeing 4k releases when it should, like Star Wars.
>>
>>60719813
while i haven't watched bluray (1080p) versions of starwars, i'd be surprised if something that old could benefit from more than that
what size film was it shot on?
>>
File: bsodvn8.jpg (513KB, 893x1049px) Image search: [Google]
bsodvn8.jpg
513KB, 893x1049px
>>60704606
Something like Ctrl +F ?
>>
I downloaded an album, but it's all a single .flac file. There's also a .cue file with the song positions in the track. How do I split the album into songs, without losing any quality?
>>
>>60719847
>>60719813
looked it up, it was only 35mm
might be a stretch to get more out of it than 1080p (actually 1920x800)

where something like 2001, which is even older, was done on 65mm film, and might actually look better with a 4k scan
>>
>>60719089
No, whole screen must run same mode.
>>
>>60719866
shnsplit.

shnsplit -f file.cue -t %n-%t -o flac file.flac
>>
>>60719847
No, I mean the new ones. TFA and Rogue One will possibly never see 4k releases. The director of TFA said he'd have to convince them to do it. None of their movies have plans for 4k releases.

But as for the original ones go, Disney actually does have a 4k restoration of A New Hope, they just won't release it.
>>
File: a.png (235KB, 1030x796px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
235KB, 1030x796px
>>60719089
yes, though you'll get a small performance hit as the picture needs to be resampled to 24/32bit

for example, here's Xephyr, running in 16bit colour, under a 32bit colour session
>>
>>60719936
huh, that's weird
i though star wars was all about touching up and re-releasing
>>
>>60719950
Usually. That could be why they're not, and this isn't just Star Wars; every movie produced by Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, etc., is lacking a 4k release, so they can re-release in a few years after people have settled for blu-ray copies. It's just incredibly frustrating, and then they wonder why people with a brain on their shoulders don't want to pay for their shit. If they'd release 4k versions now, I'd buy the ones I like. As it is, considering it's 2017 and even I as a college student own a 4k television, I'm sure as shit not wasting money on a 1080p collection when there should be 4k releases, so I'm just going to download what I want now, and if in a few years they release 4k cuts I'll still be inclined just to pirate it for being jews.
>>
Is there a search engine that can actually find what I'm looking for like Google but not manipulate results like Google or sell my data like Google, Bing, DDG, and others?
>>
>>60720048
maybe they're just waiting for 1080p sales to cool off
no use competing with yourself (4k releases will hurt existing 1080p release sales)
>>
>>60720073
Probably. It's just infuriating. Most new movies not owned by Disney are seeing 4k releases. 4k sets are available at bargain rates (mine was $350). There's no reason not to, except to intentionally double sell consumers. Which I can see why they'd do it, but it has consequences of pissing people off.
>>
>>60720068
The manipulating results is what makes google good at finding what you're looking for.
>>
why is colocation so expensive?
>>
I'm having some problems understanding when to use exception handling.
I get how it works and how to set it up, but if you understand why an exception might occur, why would you allow it to occur?
A common example I see of when exception handling might be used is doing division by a variable and that variable ends up being 0 causing a divide by zero error. Shouldn't a programmer prevent 0 from ever being in the denominator in that example (assuming it makes sense, like if they're having a user input the numerator and denominator)? I suppose it might make sense if you're writing general purpose functions and classes where a user might not know exactly how it works and therefore cannot be expected to know what is and is not acceptable.

Any suggestions on reading for exception handling?
>>
>>60720145
maybe you can't prevent every use case scenario from having an exception so you rather than halt the entire process you can continue on with some sort of workaround?
>>
>>60720119
It isn't very expensive in most instances.

Usually between $100 and $400 or so with rack space, power, internet and basic service.
Obviously more if you need a lot of bandwidth and stuff, but that's also pretty normal.
>>
Lets say i wanna make a backup of a website, i will have to download about 20TB.
What would be the best way to organize everything?
And since im going paranoid tier when it comes to this backup im going to buy multiple WD REDs for storage and backup.
>>
>>60720145
> but if you understand why an exception might occur, why would you allow it to occur?
This isn't the same in all languages.

In many of the more modern languages, you try to use Option types and such as much as possible, only handling almost unanticipated conditions with exceptions.

In other languages they're used far more loosely used for even somewhat anticipated errors, and programmers given the freedom to handle them at any "layer" of their program. Could be in the second outermost layer where they might handle logging. But this approach certainly isn't a very safe choice.

Simply put, I suggest you write code as functional as possible and try to use Option types or such if they exist.
>>
>>60720209
> What would be the best way to organize everything?
Data cloud, maybe in multiple sites.

If not that, RAID5 or 6 array on Linux (can also be a commercial NAS rather than home-built) or BSD plus secondary backup to tape drive or HDD.
>>
>>60720239
>a commercial NAS
Any recommendations?
>>
>>60720239 (cont'd)
As a remark, for using data cloud stuff: At this very small scale, it will probably be preferable to use something like Ceph, GlusterFS, XtreemFS or such that can be mounted exactly like a common filesystem rather than only object or block or "cloud database" type of storage.

Might also be good to avoid the relative monster things like OpenStack Manila.
>>
>>60720281
Qnap or Synology are typical choices.

Depending on how you value them managing most software for you and giving you a fancy GUI and stuff for the rest, it's usually still quite interesting to think about building your own at 4+ drives.

Even if you need to be fairly careful in your evaluation what parts to use to arrive at +- the same power consumption.
>>
>>60720149
>>60720214
Thanks. I'll look into optionals since I haven't heard of them before.
>>
>>60720315
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_type

Has a nice index of a bunch of languages and what the option type there is actually called, some don't call it option exactly.
>>
Without resorting to using an Arduino or something like that, is there any way I could use USB to feed raw data into a program of sorts?
Raw data is a binary feed of sorts.
>>
>>60720376
disregard the second "of sorts"
>>
>>60720376
Maybe you have a desktop computer or rooted Android smartphone to connect your USB to?
>>
File: a.jpg (111KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
111KB, 640x480px
>>60720376
depends on what kind of 'raw data' you're talking about
since you mentioned arduino, probably serial and/or gpio is the kind of thing you're after
>>
>>60719043
Nevermind. Found out about OBS, probably gonna go with the AverMedia despite how embarassing their naming schemes are
>>
>>60719420
Sorry guys, I went to sleep, but this didn't work for me at all. I'm completely stumped on what to do. I could reinstall 7, but that means losing everything I've ever downloaded, and I don't even know if it'd work.
>>
>>60720598
>but that means losing everything I've ever downloaded
You know, you have a option to keep all the files when you reinstall windows.
>>
>>60720603
Ah that's true. Forgot that. Still though, I'm scared the network card in my PC is fucked or something
>>
>>60720625
Make a linux USB, boot to it, check if everything is working fine.
No you dont need to install Linux.

Download Linux Mint cinnamon, use rufus to make it bootable.
>>
>>60720633
I don't have a spare USB lying around.
>>
>>60720652
Get one tomorrow? they are a sandisk ultrafit should be $10 tops.
>>
I know im late to it but anyway, does the update KB4012212 that was needed for the recent smb exploit include any kind of botnet/telemetry?
>>
>>60720660
Okay. I gotta say though, I fucking hate having to use my phone to browse 4chan.
>>
>>60720667
Download Clover.
>>
>>60720671
I'm using Clover. I still don't enjoy it.
>>
>>60720679
Well thats the best it gets.
Using a mobile browser for 4chan is hell.
>>
>>60720689
Yeah, I guess. I just wish I knew what caused this. We got a new router and bam, no internet for me on my PC. I don't get it. Why can I connect on my PC, but I can't actually use the internet?
>>
>>60720704
Disable and re enable your ethernet manually?
Right click the ethernet icon.
Network and Sharing Center.
Change adapter settings.
Disable, enable.
Pray.

Reinstall your Ethernet drivers.
>>
>>60720731
Not using an Ethernet. The router is in my brother's room.
>>
>>60720749
Oh its wireless?
Man you should have said earlier, its a complety different thing.

USB or PCIe adapter?
>>
>>60720754
Uh, if I had to guess, PCIe. I can't exactly go in his room and check since he's asleep
>>
>>60720761
Which card you got?
Probably your card is just not compatible with your router stock settings.

Do you know your router website? (the one you connect to change settings).
>>
File: 20170603_015255.jpg (1015KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_015255.jpg
1015KB, 2560x1536px
>>60720778
Pic. Also, one of the black ends fell off my PC 2 or so years ago, they're very brittle
>>
>>60720804
Yeah its the generic mid end PCIe adapter, still you shouldn't have any problems at all.
The only thing that comes into my mind is to check using Linux or to change your router settings.
>>
>>60720830
I mean, I could try the CMD again. I think I'm doing something wrong.
>>
>>60720852
No, cmd would be if you were using ethernet, but you are using wireless.

Can you even connect to your network wirelessly? what icon do you have in your taskbar? is it showing a warning, no warning or you cant connect at all?
>>
>>60720861
I was able to. I partially fixed it a few hours ago actually, but then it just came back when I turned my PC off.
>>
>>60720861
Oh and what do you mean by what icon?
>>
>>60720886
So your problem is that you can connect but the internet fails randomly but you dont get disconnected from your network right?
>>
>>60720917
Pretty much. Sometimes I can post a message or two on Skype, but that's it
>>
>>60720930
I cant confirm you but sounds like its your card.
Try to get a USB to boot into Linux, if you ever start experiencing this problem again use it, and if it persists its indeed your card.
If its not you will have to mess with some settings of your router.

You only experience this problem since you changed router right?
>>
I'll try to explain it as best I can with no images: So, I'm connected to my internet connection, but I can't do anything in my browser (most of the time), Skype, Steam, and Discord all have me appearing online. It's very irritating
>>
>>60720958
Exactly. I think we still have the old router though, and I'm gonna ask my brother tomorrow to set that up
>>
>>60720973
It should be easy to fix if you change your router settings.
Which router you got?
>>
>>60720973
I'd have to ask him, he's the one who bought it. And, like I said, he's asleep
>>
>>60720981
Hey anon, you got a throw away email or something we continue this later? I'm pretty tired.
>>
>>60720992
Well there is not a lot you can do then.

You will have to ask him to check the WLAN settings.
Activate WPA/WPA2 mode instead WPA2 alone.
Change AES to TKIP.
While irrelevant to your problem also ask him to disable WPS.

The problem is related to your card not being compatible with the router settings, thats all, those can be changed easy.
>>
>>60721039
Im here all day long as long im working.
And even if im not other anon will look at your problem.

See you tomorrow about the same hour you first posted your problem (8:00PM if we are in the same timezone, right now its 12:20AM for me.).
>>
>>60721085
Alright, peace, I appreciate your help. Also, it's 2:24 here
>>
>>60721113
Well good night then.
Your problem is easy to solve, you only have to mess with your router settings so dont worry.
>>
>>60719916
thanks anon that worked well
>>
new thread >>60721222
new thread >>60721222
new thread >>60721222
Thread posts: 373
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.