[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>C# is vastly superior to Java >Java is desperately trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 21

File: tfw VS.png (44KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
tfw VS.png
44KB, 312x312px
>C# is vastly superior to Java
>Java is desperately trying to implement mechanics C# had since many years
>most of them are half assed and not quite as good
>the only downside of C# - no multiplatform and lack of opensource is disappearing as we speak since they diverted most of their dev power into fixing them
>new runtime, .NET core is completely open and available at github
>tfw LINQ, delegates, properties, true generics, operator overloading & beautiful syntax
>clean and aesthetic code unlike bloated Java
>non-Microsoft, multiplatform IDE released by amazing JetBrains

Why are you not on team C# yet?
>>
>>60694596
>c# takes things from java
>now java has to catch up

to answer your question, because c# is windows.
>>
>>60694619
>because c# is windows.
not as much as it used to be. you can easily work with it on any other system right now.
>>
File: 155568.jpg (75KB, 512x960px) Image search: [Google]
155568.jpg
75KB, 512x960px
its a great language it was my very first programming language in middle school.
my problem with it tho is that its very platform limited.
devices you can develop for with c#:
-windows
-windows phone(dead)
-kinect(dead)
-xbox 360 through xda(dead)
-windows 10 IoT(nobody uses it and its trash)

>b-but .net core runs on linux and mac
which is fine if you want to write console apps but as soon as you want gui you have to use another language like c/c++/java
also there are no c# on android or ios
>xamarin is an overpriced buggy piece of shit and even if you use it you still gonna need to write java/swift code.
>>
C# is only getting better and more flexible. Microsoft recently stated they wanna improve C# low level code for gaymen, hope it gets more widely adopted.
>>
>>60694596
C# has immutable strings, want to change something in a string? Good luck, u now have 2 strings

All functions in C# throw exceptions. HttpRequest completed but returned 304? 404? Well, thats an exception, here, waste 100k cycles. Exceptions should be removed from release mode and left only in debug, but that was too advanced for pajeets.

Wanna use LINQ? If you have more than 10k objects enjoy wasting 100mb of space for all the overhead and GC heap fragmentation due to LINQ lists extensions.

Wanna use foreach? Enjoy overhead of calling GetEnumerator every iteration + struct boxing.

Wanna call managed function ? Too bad, we need to copy all arguments and check for "CodeSecurity", supress it? sure, enjoy GC pinning and heap fragmentation. Want to write msil for it? too bad u cant, calli is only 8 instructions of overhead, but you need to use C++/CLI to do it.

You have a buffer/array of something? Want to return a sub of it as new temp array, too bad you cant. Create new array obj and copy references ;^)

Want to optimize your code? Sure, go ahead, but you need to use undocumented keywords like __refvalue, __reftype, __makeref.

Want to use delegates? Too bad they hold a reference to obj of function and its checked every time you call the ref.

Want fast C# code without allocating 500megs?

Drop linq, drop foreach,drop strings, drop arrays unless preallocated, dont use any of FCLs, dont use winforms or wpf, use SharpDX, Go unsafe and use pointers for 30% performance vs 300% if u just wrote it in C. Buy 3 monitors each dedicated something, MSIL code, one for ASM output and one for picture of your kids/dreams so that you dont pull the trigger after looking at what ASM JIT shit out which is over 20 instructions and can be reduced to ~ 5, too bad you cant control it :)
>>
>>60694596
If you need to use Java libraries but don't want to deal with Java's gay ass syntax, you can use Scala, Clojure or Kotlin. They are all better than C#.
>>
>>60694876
>very platform limited
Azure, ASP.NET, SQL platforms, WPF, WinForms, Windows Universal, Mono.NET, Windows Phone, Xamarin (Android + iOS), Unity, etc etc etc.

>It's not on these platforms cause I say so! I don't care that it is!
>>
>>60694906
This post gave my dead grandfather cancer.
That's how retarded you are.
>>
>>60694925
>Azure
overpriced $5 linux vms that u can buy on OVH/scaleaway/online.net
>ASP.NET
Only kestrel is good because its using libuv, everything else is pajeet shit, especially DB management
>SQL platforms
lol
>WPF
enjoy the overhead of 5 class 100+ properties/sanity checking abstractions for a single rectangle
>Winforms
are we in 2001?
>Mono.NET
500% performance hit
>Xamarin
never used
>Unity
might as well kill myself
>>
>>60694941
Why? Everything i said is true.
>>
File: 1475635554940.png (289KB, 381x418px) Image search: [Google]
1475635554940.png
289KB, 381x418px
>>60694906
>this entire post
>>
>>60694596
>C# is vastly superior to Java
It isn't, but if it were then Kotlin is vastly superior to C# anyway.

>Java is desperately trying to implement mechanics C# had since many years
They add features with great care and consideration instead of throwing in whatever to make fizzbuzz babies hyped.

>most of them are half assed and not quite as good
On the contrary.

>the only downside of C# - no multiplatform and lack of opensource is disappearing as we speak since they diverted most of their dev power into fixing them
>new runtime, .NET core is completely open and available at github
Far from being production-ready.

>tfw LINQ, delegates, properties, true generics, operator overloading & beautiful syntax
See above.

>clean and aesthetic code unlike bloated Java
They look pretty much the same.

>non-Microsoft, multiplatform IDE released by amazing JetBrains
Still in EAP after all this time.

And then the Java ecosystem has more, superior tools:
>runtimes (HotSpot, JRockit, Excelsior JET, IBM J9, ...)
>security frameworks (Spring Security, JSR 375, ...)
>component-based web frameworks (JSF + PrimeFaces/OmniFaces/..., Vaadin, ...)
>MVC web frameworks (Spring MVC, Play, JSR 371, ...)
>batch processing frameworks (Spring Batch and other JSR 352 implementations)
>web services frameworks (Jersey, RESTEasy, Spring Web Services, ...)
>network application frameworks (Netty, Vert.x, Undertow, ...)
>multiplatform desktop gui frameworks (JavaFX, SWT, ...)
>game development frameworks (LibGDX, jMonkeyEngine, PlayN, ...)
>big data frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, ...)
>IDEs (IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, NetBeans, ...)
>profilers (VisualVM, XRebel, JRockit Mission Control, ...)
>build automation tools (Maven, Gradle, ...)
>other languages on the same runtime that support interop (Scala, Clojure, Kotlin, Groovy, JRuby, Jython, ...)

.NET ecosystem loses in each and every one of these categories.
>>
>>60694906
>I have to manually control every little thing for my code to be fast
>stringbuilder doesn't exist
>>
>>60695006
>on the contrary
How can you say that with a straight face knowing about Java's generics?
>>
File: 1496090529852.gif (954KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1496090529852.gif
954KB, 320x240px
>>60694596
C# doesn't even have a good math library, it lacks the most basic functions. Go bait someplace else.
>>
>>60695249
Never ran into any issues using them. What's your problem wish them?
>>
and Golang is vastly superior to C#.

t. Someone whose converting a C# codebase to go over the next 6 months and getting paid $350,000 to do it.

C# devs are code monkeys.
>>
>>60695006
>defending java
only bad programmers do this.

Bet you can't even program outside of an IDE. Cuck.
>>
>>60695562
You would immediately notice the issue if you used generics in languages other than Java.
>>
>>60695628
>cuck
>>>/pol/
>>
>>60695643
I've also used templates in C++ (which are the equivalent of generics) and don't see a problem with them.
>>
>>60695694
Try creating a variable of a generic type then.
>>
C# just might be the most vile,disgusting and revolting piece of utter shit I've seen in my entire life, and I've seen some shit.
I used to wonder why the fuck do people hate microsoft, but after my encounters with c# and its programmers,I can safely say that java is far,far superior just because it's not at least fucking microsoft.
/g/ is a fucking meme place where 99% people are fucking overweight, or skinny fucks. There is no middle ground, no normal human beings. They repeat each other with no thoughts or experience of their own, and they'll never, ever even get a job closely related to computers or programming, otherwise they'd have realised that in the industry, java is what works.No matter how much they scream "le pajeet ahaha" , it won't change the fact that java is used and will continue being used. Java isn't best, but it just werkz. There are far better languages than java, but goddamn, C# is java AND microsoft amalgamation abomination.
Remember, /g/ is where failed programmers come to cry about how company didn't like their fizzbuzz ,all while filling out for McDs interviews.
It's wonderful how some oldfags start a meme, newfags repeat it long enough and underages start believing it
>>
>>60695707
T variable

Still not seeing the problem.
>>
>>60695628
Who the fuck enjoys mindless typing everything from scratch outside of an IDE? Might as well make your own OS and your own programs from scratch and only then start developing real world stuff.
>>
>>60695724
>C# is bad because someone on /g/ said it's better than Javascript

FTFY
>>
>>60695761
That's how you do that in C++. Now show a working example in Java(use Ideone).
>>
>>60694876
who the fuck wants gui anymore? the only relevant framework on .net is asp.net and it works just fine on linux.
>>
>>60695724
THIS
anons defend c# because muh gaymes they're too dumb to learn c++ for gamedev and defend their meme microjew java wannabe c#
>>
What's the difference between C#, C, and C++?
>>
>>60695859
C# is a Java clone that was named after C and C++ to meme beginners into using it
>>
File: B4_GKwtCEAAjSwz.jpg (76KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
B4_GKwtCEAAjSwz.jpg
76KB, 600x800px
>>60694596
C# is vastly superior to Java. Visual Studio is the IDE of the gods. 10/10 post Anon.
>>
>>60695724
Dear retard. Java has no pointers. Java is twice as slow as C#. At least in C# you can optimized it if you try hard and can be pretty close to metal. C# can be on part and even faster than C++ if you put your time in it. It's just that the framework libs provided are bad because they are created for quick enterprise software that doesn't require any real performance.

As we're speaking ASP.NET Core is getting a new upgrade with Registered IO on sockets which puts it on par with C libs for plaintext benchmarks. As u can see from this C# can be as fast as C, if you put the time into it and read like 8000 pages of MSIL/C# books about CLR internals and EE.
>>
>>60695724
next time rty ro provide actual arguments like this anon >>60695006
>>
>>60695859
C# is C++++ with the last two plus signs stacked below, so you can tell it's really good.
>>
>>60695887
>java clone

gross.
>>
>>60695724
Ctrl-F because
0 matches
>>
>>60695897
>>60695933

wait shit there is actually one. But basically what's your actual problem with C# memes aside?
>>
>>60695724
>oracle
>>
>>60695859
>C#
Inferior java memed by microsoft, who decided to name it "C#" to cash in on the "C" name
>C
Best programming language there is. Concise, fast and works everywhere.
>C++
One of the better languages.Someone looked at C and thought "hey, this is cool, what if I add these cool features to it !". Except the features made it shittier than the original.
>>
>>60695789
The way I did it is the Java way too.
https://ideone.com/EUbsc9
>>
>>60695897
Dear retard pajeet, yes, I can tell by your posting style. I never claimed that java does whatever you think I claimed, I was merely relaying REAL LIFE experience which I accumulated over the years I worked in the industry, and I still stand by my point that C# is shit. Remember, 6 gorrilion devices run java, and only cucks with no actual field experience use C# for their microsoft overlords. Good goy, 0.2 rupees were deposited in your account.
>>60695899
I wasn't aiming to provide arguments ,simply because this is an echo chamber where some retard can simply come and say "java more like pajeet eh" and fags like would shower him with (you)s, all while sucking microsoft jew dick, wasting my time "arguing" is as pointless as arguing with reddit.
>7+ GB"IDE"
No thanks, I'm good with vim
>>
>James Gosling, who created the Java programming language in 1994, and Bill Joy, a co-founder of Sun Microsystems, the originator of Java, called C# an "imitation" of Java; Gosling further said that "[C# is] sort of Java with reliability, productivity and security deleted."
>>
>>60694596
But l am on C# already. Its fantastic.
>>
>>60694596
I would learn C# if I had any use for it tbqh
>>
Why aren't more games programmed in C?
>>
>>60696076
why do people always shit on size of VS with todays dirtcheap HDD?
>500MB+ movie
>No thanks, I'm good with 240p quality
>>
>>60696076
From real life, I can tell you that C# is the language you want to learn if you're looking for work. Java dev IRL is almost as bad and hipsterish as Javascript (the build tools etc.) Primarily Pajeets and some graduates use it.
With C# and .net you're working with an enterprise-grade environment vs J2EE or whatever bullshit. Everyone I know, linux or windows users, hate Java.
>>
>>60696220
What about python? or Ruby?
>>
>>60696076
If you work in the industry you are nothing but a cuck. I make over $300k a year writing low level C#/high performance software. No one cares what you do for 12 hours in some cubicle sucking dicks and writing yet another Farm Manager Enterprise Solution Software TM
>>
>>60696197
Because writing C code is time consuming and it's not faster than C++ anyway.
Also OOP works very well with games.
>>
>>60694596

If I don't want to use Java, I don't want to use Java with a paintcoat.
>>
>>60696197
It's not a scripting language. Most people don't want to reinvent the wheel, they want to fire something up and go
>>
File: csharp-faster-than-java.png (318KB, 1251x913px) Image search: [Google]
csharp-faster-than-java.png
318KB, 1251x913px
>>60695897
>Java is twice as slow as C#.
stopped reading there you liar
>>
>>60696287
>comparing .NET core which is still work in progress
>instead of Java vs C# on Windows running standard .NET

Well done Rasheed! You showed those microcucks!
>>
>>60696241
I work for a meme-worth """digital agency""" that has a consulting business as well and honestly I've never encountered anything built in Ruby. To me, Ruby and Ruby+Rails only exists on the internet with people who have colored hair. Python is widely used where I work for back of house stuff. Primarily because it comes with Debian.
>>
File: 1430261215836.jpg (5KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1430261215836.jpg
5KB, 184x184px
>2017
>his language has no generics with guaranteed type safety
woah...
>>
>>60696350
I love var.
>>
>>60696220
>Everyone I know,linux or windows users,hate java
>users
That's my fucking point.You are fucking USERS with shit pleb USER level experience of working.
Also wrong on the whole "C# for work" thing, Now I know you don't know shit. Stop defending this pile of steaming crap like a gentile.
>java is hipster-ish like javascript
Except it's not. Java was being used when nu-males like you weren't even born.
>With C# and .net you're working with an enterprise-grade environment vs J2EE or whatever bullshit
Now I'm not gonna bother with you, underage pajeet.

>>60696206
>"IDE"
>7+ GB
>IDE
>300 MB
>just as good and fast if not better
>comparing IDE's to movies
literally human trash. Sometimes I wish I pushed your mom down the stairs when she was pregnant with you.
>>60696241
>python
This generation's java, too much version fuckery for me to care
>ruby
Only for homosexuals or subhumans
>>
>>60696287
Nice try, guy.
>>
>>60696220
>With C# and .net you're working with an enterprise-grade environment vs J2EE or whatever bullshit.
Java has the ultimate enterprise-grade environment. Find me a big enterprise other than Microsoft that doesn't use Java.

>Java dev IRL is almost as bad and hipsterish as Javascript (the build tools etc.)
How is having good build tools hipsterish? Java has the most mature and proven tools. It's also very focused on backwards compatibility. This is the opposite of hipsterish.

>>60696313
>comparing .NET core which is still work in progress
Then OP dun fucked up. He should come back and make this thread when it's actually mature enough to be usable.
>instead of Java vs C# on Windows running standard .NET
Linux is the standard server OS. Who the fuck cares about Windows?
>>
>>60696350

>Java gets a new feature
>It's just sugar for something you can already do
Every time.
>>
>>60694596
>C# yet?

because there is cocktlin now and its actually good. like better than C# good imo.
>>
>>60696364
>vim
>IDE
pick one. you probably meant "vim + hundred of barely working addons", sorry, most working people have no time to play with shitty addons made by freetards living in basements.
id rather tick some checkboxes and have all the functionality ready without spending X hours. its like buying a new sports car versus modding honda civic from 90s.
>>
>>60696313
so basically what you are saying is the only operating system where you can write fast code in c# is an expensive nsa sponsored restricted piece of shit os with a longer EULA than my asshair.
>>
>>60696401
>Java adds a new feature
>its a complicated workaround using existing features
JUST
>>
>>60696241
Python is growing as meme learning is hot as fuck right now. Even Google announced their focus will now be AI first instead of mobile first or something.

Ruby's future is hazy. Rails is practically dead.
>>
>>60696364
>users
Forgive me, people, developers, whatever. And honestly, C# and .net translate better for businesses. Java has the reputation of grads or pajeets, and its build echo-system is all a meme. Its far more clean to use .net instead of supporting the fucking JVM, you lint-licker. I program in both and have had more legal tenders bestowed upon me in contracts for jobs that use C# vs Java. Java shops are topkek.
>>
>>60696401

all ever language features are just sugar for you to generate asm. thats really just an non argument.

if you mean adding new stuff to the jvm then iirc lambdas use a different byte code that allows for better stream optimization.
>>
>>60696440
You can write C# for Windows 98 if you want.
>>
>>60696498

can you write C# 7.0 for windows 98? that would be impressive compability.
>>
>>60696467
>Java shops are topkek.
you mean NASA, General Motors, HP, Walmart, Netlix, Apple, T-Mobile, Intel, etc? They look pretty successful to me.

>>60696498
wtf I love C# now
>>
>>60696485

But Java does not compile to asm, Java compiles to bytecode That bytecode limits what you can do in the language - bytecode compatibility is the reason that generics aren't and never will be typesafe.

I believed that lambdas were just sugar for anonymous classes. I could be wrong, but it seems to be the Java way to half-ass everything in order to maintain bytecode compatibility.
>>
>>60694906

Script kiddies in this thread won't understand anon. The fact that people write games in C# makes me weep for the future.
>>
>>60696516
I thought Netflix used silverlight?
>>
>>60696549
Not in a long time
>>
>>60696516
Honestly, all of those companies probably have both running. The C# devs are the ones that go have beer at lunch and want to #MAGA
>>
>muh Java
Call me when you can implement ExpandoObject in Java. Or are you still manually writing class hierarchy like fucking Neanderthals?
>>
>people arguing java vs c# when it's literally the same fucking language
It's like pepsi and cola
>>
File: 9hcoJLY.png (49KB, 1220x900px) Image search: [Google]
9hcoJLY.png
49KB, 1220x900px
>>60696541
This is the code of my local indie gamedev company, this game has 30k+ owners on steam.
>>
>>60696534
>bytecode compatibility is the reason that generics aren't and never will be typesafe.
>never
doesn't the GraalVM/Truffle duo skip bytecode completely?

>>60696549
it did, but I'm not even talking about the video player

>>60696567
>Honestly, all of those companies probably have both running
sure, but they seem to prefer Java

GM on indeed: 8 C# offers, 43 Java offers
HP on indeed: 10 C# offers, 22 Java offers
Apple on indeed: 17 C# offers, 378 Java offers
T-Mobile on indeed: 17 C# offers, 60 Java offers
Intel on indeed: 11 C# offers, 53 Java offers
Walmart on indeed: 8 C# offers, 13 Java offers
NASA partners on indeed: 70 C# offers, 248 Java offers
Netflix on indeed: 9 C# offers, 45 Java offers
>>
>>60696726
pls delete this
>>
>>60694908
>java syntax
>gay
why yes my good sir, Java syntax fills every user with a sense of glee and giddiness not unlike euphoria.
>>
>>60694596
>Why are you not on team C# yet?
Because C++ is vastly superior to C#
>>
>>60694908

>Java's syntax is gay
>Scala, Clojure, Kotlin aren't
>>
>>60696735
why? at least now u know how to make intel branch predictor spit out its guts and commit suicide
>>
>>60696746

I wish someone would just go back to the drawing board with C++, keep the good shit and modernise it a bit.
>>
>>60696534
>generics aren't typesafe
If you are running into this issue you probably designed the generic class or are using it incorrectly.
Lambdas are different than anonymous classes because they share the same namespace (which makes it easier because you aren't restricted to passing in variables declared final from outside of it).
>>
>>60696726
fucking hell. I hate being that guy who re-writes other people's code, but holy fuck I just want to replace it with: SetAchievement("level" + std::toString(level));
>>
>>60696779
What would you like to remove or change?
>>
>>60696862
Or u know they could just precalculate hashes for achievement names and save all that time.
>>
My internship requires me to use Java.
>>
>>60696873

A good start would be to remove the whole header file and function prototype garbage, and just have a straight module system. From there you can simplify things like initialisation since most vexing parse wouldn't be an issue any more.
>>
>>60696862
This just shows how dumb you are. There is absolutely no reason for achievements to have level name, Could just use int as name. Stop writing C++ and switch to Ruby.
>>
>>60696895
yea, or SetAchievement(enum LevelUp, int level);
>>
File: 1473482201912.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
1473482201912.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>60696726
>>
Wait, is java still alive?
I just won't launch ever in my browser, so I thought it was a turd.
Last time I programmed with this shit was like 2004, and it was already trash back then.
>>
>>60696779
>I wish someone would just go back to the drawing board with C++, keep the good shit and modernise it a bit.
literally C#
>>
File: 1494349853072.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1494349853072.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
>>60696899
>Stop writing C++ and switch to Ruby.
>>
>>60695770
That isn't a bad idea actually. Maybe I will invent my own programming language as well as there are few.
>>
>>60696956
C# = java but shittier
C++ = C but more usable and almost as good
C = god language
please end yourself memetard.
>>
>>60696779
already happened in 1995 :^)
>>
>>60696956

Not in the slightest.
>>
File: 8N95RL1.png (77KB, 1481x848px) Image search: [Google]
8N95RL1.png
77KB, 1481x848px
Another one, just for keks.
>>
image related is C#.
notice anything?
thats right: its java but with more code and much worse. Only reason it's areound is because it is close enough to Java.
>>
>>60696956
what an amazing idea anon.lets write in a programming language where literally everything is an object. strings , keywords , variables , enums literally fucking everything.open up visual studio and write a dot after any variable type lets say int for example or after the variable name and see your own jaw dropping.do you really want companies to write the next cod/battlefield... in that language?
>>
File: 1494711428933.jpg (733KB, 3702x2198px) Image search: [Google]
1494711428933.jpg
733KB, 3702x2198px
>>60696983
I honestly don't get why people keep C to such a high standard. I feel completely disabled when switching from C++.
>>
>>60696954
you're very poorly informed
>>
File: C# is inferior Java.png (6KB, 432x252px) Image search: [Google]
C# is inferior Java.png
6KB, 432x252px
>>60697020
forgot image:
>>
>>60697004
Good god, use a fucking switch statement!
>>
File: 1494363339754.png (441KB, 3555x2198px) Image search: [Google]
1494363339754.png
441KB, 3555x2198px
>>
>>60697034
same reason autists keep C# to such a high standard.
>>
>>60696364
Python and Ruby predate Java, JS and of course C#. I will prefer using those than the 'shiny new language of the year.'
>>
>>60697050
You have no clue about programming. Switch to Ruby please.

>>60697058
Yes lets make a standard string, but lets also add all possible overhead use cases such as culture info, its iterator, its end ptr, its start ptr, its end ptr, its casing, its append count, everything possible.
>>
File: 1481048370043.jpg (12KB, 205x249px) Image search: [Google]
1481048370043.jpg
12KB, 205x249px
>>60697004
>DestroyMe(); not using destructor.
>if not game is over
>finding camera with string
>dynamically allocating a vector.
>copy-pasting to this degree
>>
>>60697034

C++ is a fucking mess. It's powerful, but it takes years to learn all the nuance and you'll often need to refer back to external material if you spot some weird edge case you haven't seen before.
All of C can be kept in your head at any one instance. You can read any line of C and know what exactly what it's doing since it's all built out of the same primitives, even if you don't know why it's doing it or what it means. C is a pure language, and that does have a few advantages.

I prefer C++ though.
>>
>>60697085
>Switch to Ruby please.
why?
>>
>>60696726
Wouldn't a compiler catch and optimize this shit?
>>
>>60697111
I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>60697115
not really
>>
Python and Ruby predate Java
Java publication date: May 23, 1995
Python publication date: 1991
Ruby publication date: 1995
python definitely, ruby and java are debatable.
Checked out their wiki, ruby sounds nice because of its reflection.
I will work on learning them after i have learnt Java and C++.
>>
>>60697115
Since its JIT, nope. but C/C++ would probably. No idea tho.
>>
>>60697138
What do you mean not really? It's easy to predict where that shit is going.
>>
>>60697156
>Since its JIT
literally irrelevant
>but C/C++ would probably
no it would not

>>60697168
easy for a human. just think about how you would algorithmically go about optimizing this and ask yourself if any compiler really implements something that specific
>>
>>60697034
because MUH ANSI C is shilled here, on a board full of NEETs.
average /g/ user never worked as a programmer, its just a hobbyist writing fizzbuzz in obscure languages and configuring pain inducing linux distros.
>>
It was conceived in '93 but first release was 12/95. http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/382
>>
>>60697111
What about memed D and Rust? Is any of those worth it?
>>
>>60697144
>>60697306
>James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991.
so Java was conceived first. why are we discussing this again?
>>
>>60697331

D does a lot of things that I like, but I think takes away too much. Also
>GC
I haven't taken a look at Rust.
>>
>>60694596
Why would anybody code in c# when there's c++
>>
>>60694596
> virtual machine
top kek, Swift masterrace reporting in, compiles to machine code, ARM and x86 compatibility, just werks, simplest sintax ever, C performance.
>>
>>60697363

C# and C++ are fulfilling completely different needs.
>>
>>60694906
Please be bait
>>
>>60697377
>c performance
>swift 3 literally just removed ++ and -- and now people must do var x = x+1 which is much slower than ++.

this language cant even compete with java in speed let alone c++ and with this kind of retarded changes apple makes just to appeal to the toodler audience its only gonna get slower.
>>
>>60697256
Best post here. Of course /g/ will shill for oldschool C shit, all they do is spend all day fixing and tweaking their broken distros. Anyone who codes professionally knows the importance of modern OOP languages.
>>
>>60697426
>x = x+1 which is much slower than ++.
x = x+1; and x++; are both treated as ++x;
>>
>>60694596
> C# is vastly superior to Java
Marginally, but actually Java has the other JVM languages to more than compensate.

And the JVM is what .NET was supposed to be: A runtime environment of choice for a lot of languages. But just, you know, in reality rather than in Microsoft's embrace, extend. extinguish fantasies.

> new runtime, .NET core is completely open and available at github
It'll be half a decade until anyone trusts MS, if ever, and even then C# will struggle with matching the currently orders of magnitudes superior Java ecosystem.

> clean and aesthetic code unlike bloated Java
Java is more bloated but C# is not really aesthetic and cute either, so whatever.
>>
>>60697447
by the compiler*
>>
>>60697156
When it compiles to bytecode in can optimize it. Not sure if it world because C# is shit
>>
>>60697426
nice bait

x++ is x += 1 in Swift, that change is just visual and it makes readability much better at the cost of just 1 extra letter.

Java can't compete with Swift in performance, the same applies to any vm language.
>>
>>60697501
>makes readability much better
literally who uses += 1 instead of ++?
was there ever a programmer who had to think what ++ meant?
>>
>>60697501
nice bait
x++ is actually easier to read and understand compared to x += 1
>>
>>60697501
> Java can't compete with Swift in performance
You're wrong. Java has all the high performance stacks and is a major player in big data / big processing. These markets aren't averse to using whatever the fuck works and is fast. But nobody in their right mind uses Swift there.

That's not to say you can't win some microbenchmark with Swift - SOMETHING is probably faster -, but overall it's just fucking useless if you want fast, and Java is pretty much *the most common* choice.

If you want a new cool language that can also play that game, it's Scala. And maybe Go.
>>
File: 1491586089024.jpg (41KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1491586089024.jpg
41KB, 641x530px
>>60697501
>x++ is x += 1 in Swift

ewww... so you are telling me that ios which is praised day and night for how well optimized it is actually implementing ++ in a very ineffecient way instead of just using the built in logic gate in the processor to just bump the value?i cant imagine what kind of other horrid shit this language must have.knowing this i would take a c fag over a swift fag any day.
>>
>>60695612
kinda jelly
>>
>>60697532
>>60697537
Hello new programmers
x = x + 1 is x++
but...
x = x + 2 is... x++++? nope, just x += 2
so let's make everything x += y ok? For consistency.
>>
>>60696287
>subtle BTFO with two denials
the post
>>
>>60697377
Swiftfag reporting in.
It's pretty sexy.
>>
>>60697578
The compiler reads it as x++ anon, that's just sintax
>>
>>60697626
Is it useful on lunix?
>>
>>60697574
T.Pajeet defending Java
>>
>>60697604
consistency for the sake of it is completely pointless.
>>
>>60697641
no its not because it doesnt have the cocoa and cocoa touch libraries and without those swift is useless.also there are no xcode on linux and no gui building toolkit.even though swift is advertised as open source and multi-platform it only works on macos/ios.literally the same case as with c#/windows
>>
>>60694619
>because c# is windows.
lol no
I've completely switched to C# now with .net core
running perfectly on linux
performance is almost identical to windows implementation
>>
>>60695612
Does Go compile to machine code?
>>
>>60697604
Hello new programmers
x = x + 1 is INC x
but...
x = x + 2 is... INCINC x? nope, just ADD x, 2
so let's make everything x += y ok? For inconsistency.
>>
>>60697660
If you think about it, x++ is a pretty dumb syntax
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>60697641
it's buggy and compiles slowly

>>60697652
T.Pajeet defending Swift

>>60697673
have fun upgrading to 2.0
>>
>>60697641
>is it useful
Yes, even IBM is backing it on linux.
https://www.ibm.com/cloud-computing/bluemix/swift
>>
>>60697698
hello new programmer, let the Swift compiler handle your autism for you!
>>
File: 1486656706172.jpg (197KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1486656706172.jpg
197KB, 1280x853px
>>60697672
fugg! They shouldn't port it in the first place without cocoa.
>>
>>60694876
>which is fine if you want to write console apps but as soon as you want gui you have to use another language like c/c++/java
lol wat
literally took me an hour to write a 'good enough' GUI engine in opentk

>xamarin is an overpriced
it's free
M$ bought them out and now you get it for free with VS
>and even if you use it you still gonna need to write java/swift code.
not in my experience
>>
>>60697727
write your own cocoa
>>
>>60697701
sure, we should rename C++ to C=+1 too, lets be consistent everywhere.
>>
>>60697740
>it's free
For OSS development which for the idiots means no money. Cucks.
>>
File: f1nYbWX.jpg (128KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
f1nYbWX.jpg
128KB, 1000x1000px
>>60697776
>>
>>60697779
C++ is just a stupid name, and it's not Apple's fault.
>>
>>60697652
Sucks that the whole tech industry, financial, automotive, web centric, journalistic and basically everyone else that matters is in or even all in on the JVM side.

On the other hand, nobody fucking uses Swift and it has not proven to be useful for anything really. If it is something you like, that just tells us how little you care about a technology being viable in reality and how *you* just prefer to be special. But your special-ness hasn't brought jack shit for proof that Swift is viable either, hasn't it...
>>
>>60697578
void example(){
int x = 7;
x++;
int y = 8;
y += 2;
}

example():
push rbp
mov rbp, rsp
mov DWORD PTR [rbp-4], 7
add DWORD PTR [rbp-4], 1
mov DWORD PTR [rbp-8], 8
add DWORD PTR [rbp-8], 2
nop
pop rbp
ret

I don't see how += is less inefficient than ++
>>
>>60697893
>swift: (adjective) happening quickly or promptly.
>actually compiles over 9000 times longer than java
another great fucking name!
>>
>>60697792
>OSS development
>Xamarin will be in every edition of Visual Studio, including the widely-available Visual Studio Community Edition, which is free for individual developers, open source projects, academic research, education, and small professional teams
obviously if you're working with a big team you'll buy professional or enterprise
or if you're smart you'll enter bizspark
>>
>>60698017
I'm smart and i wait for flutter.
>>
>>60697578
>syntax represents implementation
Why are all frogfaggots complete imbeciles?
>>
>>60697942
what did u compile this in? debug mode?
>>
>>60697026
You have no idea how this actually works. If anything, Java is way worse in that regard - you can't even have an array of classes there(or any other data structure) , you end up with an array of references to these classes. C# also has structs and they even get allocated on stack. Hell, you can even do manual memory allocation because C# has real pointers.
Anyway, when you type int.Something you call an EXTENSION method, which is just a syntax sugar and doesn't perform any boxing.
>>
I'm on team ANSI C
>>
>>60695789
You got BTFO'd by >>60696072 mate, did you seriously think you couldn't create a variable from a generic in Java?

The only visible problem with Java's generics is that in some cases if you need to fetch it's Class type object (e.g. T.class won't work) you additionally need to pass in the Class object you're working with in a second parameter (e.g. Class<T> clazz that you see sometimes.)
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.