[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOI https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201 7/05/qualcomm-micro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (436KB, 800x387px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
436KB, 800x387px
BOI

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/qualcomm-microsoft-announce-snapdragon-835-pcs-with-gigabit-lte/

>Qualcomm is trying to shill their ARM boards to Microsoft, Snapdragon 835

>Asus, HP, and Lenovo are all planning to introduce Snapdragon Mobile PC systems at some unspecified time in the future, for some unspecified price.

>It may be a chance to have another go at Windows RT, that got properly fucked for not having true ability to run x86 programs, with a Windows 10 for ARM package

>The prototype board from Qualcoom is an area of 50.4cm^2, has snapdragon 835 processor and Gigabit LTE

>Thanks to Qualcomm's battery management, and Windows 10 feature of Connected Standby capability, estimated battery savings could be up to 50% than x86 systems,
>>
>>60688784
>estimated battery savings could be up to 50%
By being more off?
>>
>>60688784
i hate it that they probably signed something so only qualcomm can make these windows 10 boards
mediatek, samsung, allwinner and broadcomm could have made some nice boards too and i bet laptops with their socs would be way cheaper
>>
Anything that gives intel more competition is good. The most expensive Snapdragon is cheaper than the worst celeron/atom.
>>
>>60688838
Could you imagine a $99 laptop with decent specs? Or proper windows SBC's?
So long as Microsoft doesn't limit the fuck out of it this could be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they're sticking to Qualcomm is because it's the only chips they've got windows to compile to. Windows is such a shit to compile regardless let alone for a bunch of random arm SoC's.
>>
>>60688982
But what OS has a strangehold on the PC market?
>>
>>60688784
Finally we will have PCs that can't run anything except botnet10 because of a completely locked down EFI
>>
It will fail just like windowsRT. Qualcomm are morons for not letting their SoCs go in chromebooks and linux SBC machines.
>>
>>60689494
>linux SBC machines
but they do
>>
>>60688838
>Mediatek

Yeah, no thanks, we already have plenty of laggy subpar processors.
>>
>>60688982
>$99
No, they'll jack up the price, they'll probably be "premium" products.
>>
>>60689672
fuck off
my helio x10 is great
>>
>>60688798
by not running actual x86 programs
>>
>>60689748
Nice Stockholm syndrome, Anon.
>>
>>60689762
In other words: run nothing that can save it from being the new Windows RT
>>
>>60689013
Windows, and what we got here is Microsoft trying to kill off win32 in a quest to make Windows platform-independent. They are probably not the only ones who can see that Intel has stagnated and made extremely little progress the last 5 years while progress and more importantly, competition, in the mobile space has been amazing in the same period.

>>60689494
Does it really matter of Qualcomm puts their SoCs in chromebooks? I think it's inevitable that we get ARM (and eventually Risc V) based light notebooks. Someone will make it and sell it. I'm guessing Xiaomi or some Chinese brand. It will happen with or without Qualcomm.

>>60689672
Mediatek SoCs are totally amazing but it depends on which one you get. The Mediatek Helio x25 is a great SoC. If you buy a $99 phone with a 6750 then you're going to get a slower SoC but that's also the case if you buy a $99 phone with any other SoC.

What Mediatek don't have is a good GPU part paried with their SoCs. The CPU part of their SoC is fine. Their GPUs on the other hand.. is like they almost forgot about it.
>>
>>60689770
can you even compete?
>>
>>60689822
>Does it really matter of Qualcomm puts their SoCs in chromebooks? I think it's inevitable that we get ARM (and eventually Risc V) based light notebooks. Someone will make it and sell it. I'm guessing Xiaomi or some Chinese brand. It will happen with or without Qualcomm.
Almost none of the ARM manufacturers will provide chromeOS or linux drivers for their SoCs. Only one exynos model and rk3399 have them.

I think the issue relates to completely stupid business models involving paying for drivers. If you build a SoC using the latest ARM mali GPUs you don't automatically get drivers. They are demanding either the semiconductor company or device manufacturer to pay them for enabling features on drivers. The cost depends on features, Android + opengl = cheap Android + opengl and vulkan = more expensive, linux + opengl = more money, linux + opengl & vulkan even more, linux + opengl + vulkan + opencl= $$$$$$$$$$

Of course this leads to the problem that if one manufacturer pays for linux drivers nothing stops people transplanting even a binary driver into any other device using the same GPU. As a result this creates massive asspain at qualcomm and ARM, they don't want people being able to download drivers, they either refuse to release linux drivers or insist they only be used on devices where consumers will never be able to easily access the OS. Usually they finally allow public linux drivers once the design has been out for 3 or more years.

This is why Qualcomm keep trying to push windows on ARM, they want to sell drivers on top of their silicon, a locked down windows system doesn't allow users to install their own drivers.
>>
>>60689672
Qualcomm shilling... Really?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.