[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the point of Budgie and Solus now that Dash-to-Panel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: dash-to-panel.png (22KB, 1061x86px) Image search: [Google]
dash-to-panel.png
22KB, 1061x86px
So what's the point of Budgie and Solus now that Dash-to-Panel exists?
>>
Freedom of choice.
>>
>>60686008
Freedom of choice + ikey wants to get away from gtk
>>
>>60686008
>gnome and such

M I C R O

S T U T T E R S
>>
>>60686566
>>60686619
But is this work not incredibly redundant and fragmentative? Would these developers' time not be better spent on improving GNOME or a big distro or one of the FOUR main package managers?

Or even working on any project that ISN'T Budgie or Solus?
>>
>>60686008
From Ikey:

"We started the evolution around the time we started on MATE in Solus. This might sound odd to people but I made a very conscious decision to decouple Budgie from Solus (and vice versa.) Around that time we moved all of the Budgie stuff into a new GitHub organisation, and we since established a new budgie-desktop.org website. The main thing from our view (Which I think others like yourself are now seeing) - is that Solus itself has plenty to offer without one desktop standing head and shoulders above the rest. After all, what is the desktop but a UI on top of another system?"
>>
>>60686708
GNOME isn't going to improve because GNOME doesn't want to improve. It only wants to remove.
>>
>>60686008
It will be ported to Qt.
>>
>>60686008
what theme
>>
File: 1490307428973.gif (213KB, 250x263px) Image search: [Google]
1490307428973.gif
213KB, 250x263px
>>60686654
Enjoying your 90s experience and the screen tearing? Retro is soo comfy anon
>>
>>60686008
Solus is a lot more than just a way to distribute Budgie. It's a full distro from scratch with a packaging technology that's even easier than Ubuntu "snaps" and are pushing the envelop with "clr-boot-manager" and better handing of kernel upgrades.

As for Budgie itself, it's just a fuck of a lot more lightweight than GNOME but still has the default applications and things people liked about GNOME. It's also moving to Qt soon so it'll be less GNOME than ever.
>>
Can you make the icons smaller? Can you put the status icons on the left and the clock on the right?
>>
>>60689531
>gnome
>customizable
lol
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.