[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I study psychology and have had a love for computers for a long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1493681031945.jpg (65KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1493681031945.jpg
65KB, 720x540px
I study psychology and have had a love for computers for a long time. I've been studying programming on my own for about one year now.

I'm not happy with psychology, so I'm thinking on changing to CS.

Is it worth it? Or does learning it all on your own do it?
>>
>>60681428
Brainlet spotted.
>>
>>60681428
>programming
>computer science

boy are you in for a suprise
>>
>>60681428
The course you're looking for is software engineering, not computer science.
>>
OP Here. I have studied a bit of CS and programming-related math, but I have done so in order to further understand how programs work. Compilers, binary, stack, heap etc. Yet, I would still like to know how the hardware works and all that stuff.

I also like math, and would like to choose a degree that would lead me to learn more math. I am also taking extra courses on linear algebra and calculus.

>>60681558
In my country there is no graduation on that level. It is considered what we would call a "post-graduation", or major, I think. I'm not sure what it would be called in English.

>>60681515
Am I?
>>
>>60681940
At my uni we had 1 programming course. The rest required programming, but taught other things
>>
File: diversity1.jpg (188KB, 1400x1070px) Image search: [Google]
diversity1.jpg
188KB, 1400x1070px
>>60681940
>In my country
>>
>>60681428

Why not try cyber psychology? It's a pretty cool field to be in.
>>
>>60681428
CS is more like a pure math course.

Which your psychologybrain will never understand.
>>
>>60681940
Hardware, compilers, binary etc are all low level stuff, near the metal, where CE lives. CS is the opposite.
>>
>>60682161
Would you care to explain?

>>60682142
>Look at me, I'm mr superior brain!
Oh, brainlet creature, my field of interest goes beyond the humanities. Besides, could you develop further on that? I'm interested in math, as I said above.

>>60681982
Interesting.

>>60682088
Gonna look onto that.
>>
>>60682411
>explain
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-_and_low-level
>>
>>60682411
>Gonna look onto that.

Take a look at The Cyber Effect by Dr. Mary Aiken. Although the book isn't technical or very academic, she a very good writer and extremely qualified. She certainly confirmed a lot of ideas that I have on cyberpsychology.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Effect-Pioneering-Cyberpsychologist-Explains/dp/0812997859
>>
>>60682434
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-_and_low-level
I know the differences between high level and low level, mate. I just asked for further explanation on HOW CS is more associated with latter than with the former.
>>
>>60682411
I said it as a literal warning and I don't study CS (anymore).

I took it one year before switching to
biochem.

So let me explain:
1. You took psychology which is not a science
2. You've never needed to think like a logical human being for years because you took it
3. All the maths involved is only for the very dedicated
4. What have you programmed?
If you don't know at least OOP you're doomed even before you've started CS
>>
>>60682161
You also learn assembly and compilers in CS you retard
>>
>>60682525
I didn't finish psychology yet, and I have been studying physics as an amateur since I left high school.

I have been studying calculus and linear algebra in order to pursue graphics programming as well

I have been programming the front and back end of websites with python and javascript. I have also done some puzzles in C. And I do know OOP.

I also automated some stuff on my PC through python, mainly the building of spreadsheets in a more dynamic way through the terminal to facilitate my work. (I work part time as an English teacher)

I have also programmed a database page with the help of PHP to better organize the sales in the events of an arts collective I used to be part of.

So yeah.
>>
>>60682712
besides we study some math in psychology too, mainly statistics.

also

Some branches of it are mere philosophical, but there are some branches with are scientifc.
>>
>>60682463
That its not self-evident to you from looking up courses means I'm not actually sure how to explain it to you in concepts we both understand. I'll try again. Computer Scientists develop how a system should work, Computer Engineers implement it. CS would be used to design TCP. It took a CE to implement it as part of Windows. If you've been programming - as per your OP - that's a CE interest. If you've been designing a programming language, that's a CS interest.

>>60682556
And I learned the parts of an engine in a physics class, it didn't make me a driver.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.