[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech Q. I have a record player from the 80's. There is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Tech Q.

I have a record player from the 80's.

There is an orange neon bulb 12v above the platter.

There are slits in the platter.

There is a light sensor underneath the platter. Depending on what patter of light is coming through, the player will know what size record is on the platter.

The orange neon bulb is broken. Finding a replacement bulb seems difficult (there are no markings on the bulb).

Does anyone know if I can replace that neon bulb with another lamp, say, LED maybe, so that the sensor works again?

Pic related is the player. One of those three sets of slits is open (other two are just for decoration symmetry). The light for the lamp comes out of that semi-rectangular cutout on the left side at the back of the player.

ty /g/ praise terry davis
>>
bump

Asking here because it really has nothing to do with record players, and is instead about light sensors and neon bulbs.
>>
May be an idea to post all make & model info you have on it.
>>
File: Capture.png (213KB, 697x633px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
213KB, 697x633px
>>60674125

Yeah it's a Luxman P-102

It's identical to a Marantz TT530 (this was the european version I think)

Here's a video of a Marantz getting fixed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McG9IC9zibQ

Yes that's me talking to him in the comments, no that's not my real name no doxx pls.

You can see the spotlight/lamp closeup at 2:36 (off), and you can see it on at 4:36.

The exact part is IN128001AR from the Marantz repair PDF, circled in the pic related.

The PDFs for both the Marantz and Luxman are easily found but you need to sign into some sight. And the Marantz has a better scan, that's why i'm using that one.
>>
File: A1B.jpg (21KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
A1B.jpg
21KB, 640x640px
>>60673853
You cannot replace a neon with an LED. Neons have a strike voltage somewhere between about 150-180V.

Go on digikey or mouser or even just ebay and search for neon indicator lamp. Buy whatever looks closest to your neon lamp and whack it in, it will probably work.
>>
>>60674216

light is on at 6:53 my bad
>>
It's just a stupid light sensor you fagit, any lamp will do.
>>
>>60674278

ok

>>60674315

ok
>>
If you want to use LED I'm sure you can use some simple voltage limiter like just a zener diode or a stabilizer.
ask /diy/
>>
Also if you have only one size of LPs you could just tamper the light sensor so it's set on that one size by default.
Or you could wire a manual switch to the sensor and select the LP size manually.
>>
posting this here because turntables, i might get a technics SL-BD20 from my parents thats been sitting in storage for 4 years, what exactly do i need to listen to this thing? do they sell like cheap 20 dollar speakers with analogue plugs or can i just use my dac and listen with headphones?
here is my dac https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4ME4189
>>
>>60674950

OP here same situation as you.

I do know that if they have a stereo "receiver" then that is all you need. That's what i'm using.

According to some of the things i've read, you need a preamp, and an amp. But stereo receivers have all of that combined. I guess the reason more complex systems exist is if you want a specific preamp with a specific amp.

So check if they also have a receiver laying around.
>>
>>60675042
I plugged it into a TV to test it, and its quite faint but i can hear it. It must have been warped by the heat because it skips around a little bit, even on a level surface. :(
>>
>>60675311

oh shit nigger if that thing's been sitting around for a while, then you probably need to make some adjustments.

tonearms are very precise little things, they need to be balanced just right.

if it's skipping around then the downward force is too little, most likely.

look up the user manual for your model, it should say how to adjust the tonearm.

(you also don't want it too heavy or it WILL fuck your records, those needles are very sharp)
>>
>>60675406
sweet thanks anon
>>
>>60674950
You need either a receiver or an amplifier with a "Phono" input. You need to plug it into the Phono so that the signal goes through the preamp stage, otherwise it will sound bad. You can get a stand alone preamp if you want instead.
>>
>>60675525
I should mention that you would still need to plug that preamp into a normal amplifier. The whole purpose of the preamp is to bring it up to a level that is suitable to be properly amplified.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.