[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we ever going to get a revised Kindle Paperwhite? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 7

Are we ever going to get a revised Kindle Paperwhite? It's been two years since its last refresh. Or is the Voyage it's replacement?
>>
Honestly we won't see anything seriously new until they lower prices to something actually reasonable.

For what the device is actually doing, and the components needed it should literally be like $50 max. The fact that this shit is $200+ is just insane.
>>
>>60670079
Other than an updated processor, I don't know how the paperwhite could get any better.
>>
>>60670115
desu it needs better ergonomics for holding in one hand + physical page buttons, and they did that with the oasis already.

Only other thing to upgrade is the screen itself.
>>
>>60670115
I just want one with a USB C port because my Kindle is the only thing I have that doesn't charge on USB C yet.
>>
There's no point to upgrading them, unless they are going to make them a lot cheaper or release them with larger screens and higher resolutions. If they made a 10 inch 1440x1080 e-reader, I'd probably buy it, but the most I'd pay is ~$200. I have a Kobo Aura HD I've been using for years, but it's not exactly ideal for Manga, which a 10 inch e-reader would fix.
>>
>>60670108
>implies the CEOs new Bugatti is free
what are you a communist?

also it costs 140$ without (((special offers)))

i mean yes it´s too expensive for what it is but it´s not 200+ expensive
>>
There is no reason to upgrade between Paperwhite models. I have the newer one and a friend has the older version and you have to really pay attention to notice a difference between the ppi.

The glass screen on the Voyage is way nicer, but I got 3 defects in a row before just going with a Paperwhite. All 3 of the Voyages I got had defective backlights.

I just can't seem to understand why Kobo keeps fucking up so hard.

The Aura one was so close to being perfect, but of course it shits itself with PDFs and the interface is fucktarded.
>>
I was thinking of buying an e-reader myself lately. Reading on my 6' inch phone is alright but I liked the paperwhite display when I used a friend's device.

Was thinking of going with the latest paperwhite and calling it a day but I don't really know the other models.
>>
Who fucking cares, e-readers hit peak. I've got a Kobo Glo HD and that's already overkill.
>>
Im Speculating but commercially, colour e-ink is only 12-24 months away.
>>
>>60671912

Same I've used a Glo since they came out and it's still going strong. Picked up a refurb one cheap for a spare if I accidentally break it, like I did my previous shitty reader.
>>
File: 505fullinfo.jpg (61KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
505fullinfo.jpg
61KB, 500x447px
>there will never be another e-reader as good as the PRS-505
>>
>>60673390
That looks like a pile of shit honestly
>>
>>60671899
Kindles are shit if you want to actually be able to do anything with your device. Completely locked down, you can't change fonts, you can't change screensavers, you can't change pdf readers or the homepage or anything.

Honestly it's fucking ridiculous, but there's no actual competition in the market so it's what you get.
>>
>>60673985
Kindles are great if you actually read books instead of cosplaying a 1337 h4xx0r.
>>
>>60674127
No, I actually read books and within 10 minutes the first thing I wanted to do on my kindle was change the font from one of their defaults.

Don't kid yourself loser
>>
>>60670108
But I paid the equivalent of U$50 on mine.
>>
i have been looking ereader for manga, but they all seem expensive af
>>
>>60674231
They have a nice choice of standard fonts. If you are too much of a snowflake, then you should have lurked more before buying.
>>
>>60674231
>I actually read books
>complains about fucking screensavers and other underage customization tripe
doubtful
>>
Not much business incentive to be developing a new kindle Paperwhite. The eBooks business seems to also be also on a downswing as people are buying less ebooks than expected past the few years. However I must say I find my own Paperwhite perfect for my own usage. Really good batterylife, pretty good UI, lightweight and perfect for travelling etc.

I mean sure, the machine is quite locked down, and you could buy a cheap tablet or something but the Kindle is a solid device that is well built. It will last you way longer than any tablet. Also buy the bit more expensive Kindle with the backlight, don't go for the cheapest base model. You will regret it later.
>>
>>60673390
Yup. I own 4 ereaders(Prs-505, prs-600, kindle 3, Kobo Aura) and the PRS-505 is my favorite. If they uped the internal parts to line it up with todays tech, but kept the layout and build quality, It would be the best ereader ever... Shit, if they just updated the screen and threw in a backlight(but kept the same cpu, lack of wifi, etc...) it would still be the best ereader.
>>
>>60670160
Are you stupid? There's literally no point and it would drive up the cost. You will never connect a Kindle to anything other than a charger or a host device for data transfer. Not a monitor or any other USB peripheral.
>>
>>60675758
>as people are buying less ebooks than expected
I'd consider actually buying them if they didn't fucking charge exorbitant prices for it.
>>
>>60675561
Order 'Kindle manga' from amazon Japan.
>>
>>60670079
How's that cheap Kindle without backlight? I'm thinking of buying one
>>
>>60670079
Im still on the paperwhite 1 and see no need to upgrade it any time soon or ever. Good handling, changed the battery for a bigger one, the original is very good to and the backlight is top notch.

The only thing that always pisses me of is the lack of genre/categories but im almost on pirated ebooks only so whatever.
>>
>>60675623
>I love locked down hardware I can't modify

peasants
when will they learn
>>
>>60675821
That's really just an indication of how bad the current crop of ereaders are, not how good the 505 is
>>
>>60678021
How to make money 101:

>ebooks are $1-3 instead of $10-15
>ereaders are $20-$100 instead of $200-$400

bam, now you're actually selling ebooks and actually selling ereaders

these idiots are pricing themselves out of their own market
>>
Foldable e-reader when?
>>
>>60677762
Amazon is a big company, I think they can handle the cost of switching to USB C in their next Kindle revision. Is it so wrong that I'm slightly annoyed by the fact that I have to dig through my drawer for a micro USB cable whenever I need to charge my Kindle when I could just use the USB C charger I already have plugged in? I'm aware it's a first world problem, but if Amazon is going to make a hardware revision anyways, they might as well make using their product slightly more convenient.
>>
>>60673985
You know what's even more locked down?

A book.

It's a e-reader not a fucking smartphone.
>>
>>60678508
What a great argument, going out right now to buy locked down crap rather than stuff I can actually mess around with and use.

>Less features and less customization is good!
t. retards like you
>>
>>60678508
>It's a e-reader not a fucking smartphone.
It pretty much is a smartphone, just one with a battery, ram, and processor from 10 years ago with an e-ink display on top.
>>
>>60670108
>tfw bought a used paperwhite for $40
lel
>>
>>60671921
They still need to work a lot on refresh rates for consumer models. Right now the tech is only really good for signs.
>>
>>60678508
are you retarded?

Do you think I'm going out and buying books now that I've got an ereader, phone, and computer? How in the hell does someone come to the conclusion that since books are locked down, it's okay for everything else to be locked down too?

Here's how it works in reality:
I can buy a book, $10 - $30 give or take, each; It's bulky, it's heavy, I need sunlight or lamps to read, if I have more than a handful of books I need to dedicate expensive storage space for them. I can't change the font type, the font size, or the formatting, and just using the book will slowly wear it out.

Or I can buy a locked down ereader like a kindle; it's $100+, lightweight, can store thousands of books most of which I can get for free, lasts for weeks on a charge and can even light itself up for nighttime reading, but I still can't change the font type or formatting how I like, and I'm locked into ad-ridden bullshit that amazon forces on me and can't install any programs I want, like a better .pdf viewer.

Or I can buy an unlocked ereader or jailbreak a locked one; it's $100+ has all the advantages of a regular ereader, but I also have full control over the software and can do whatever the fuck I want with it.

GEE WHICH SHOULD I PICK ITS SO HARD

Seriously how does someone come to the conclusion that locked down ereaders are a good thing?
I'm fucking baffled.
>>
>>60678655
I got a used paperwhite 3g no ads for 35.
After chrisman is the best time to search for that stuff, people dont like tech that cant run clash of clans
>>
I'm pretty satisfied with my Paperwhite (300 dpi model). I spent around $100 though, $200 is bogus pricing. It's good, no complaints
>>
>>60678701
>ads
Just buy the 3g modell without

>programs
What is wrong about having a dedicaded ebook reader that is only used for reading ebooks? Is that concept hard to comprehend? Why do all you faggots need an thing that does more than it is build for?

You can download books via3g if you dont cheap out on unlimited, ive never had such a great user experience before.
>>
>>60679020
What is wrong with having a dedicated ebook reader that is used for reading ebooks and doing everything else I could want at the same price on the same hardware as a locked down version?

What is your justification for buying a locked down ereader over an unlocked ereader? What's the benefit?
>>
>>60673985
>you can't change fonts
you can
>you can't change screensavers
who cares
>you can't change pdf readers or the homepage or anything.
seriously who cares
>>
File: .jpg (77KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
77KB, 1000x1000px
>>60673390
But that's not the DX
>>
>>60679064
>everything else
Like what? You know that if you want it to do the usual smartphone stuff the big point ,,battery charge" is worthless and youl end up with a galaxy tab with an amazon brand.
>>
>>60679064
>Ebook reader
>i want to do something different
On a
>ebook reader
Faggot
>>
All I want is a paperwhite with 2 hardware buttons for page turning how hard can it be, Amazon?
>>
>>60679206
fucking this.
why are they keep doing this?
>>
What's the best e-book reader without touch screen?
>>
>>60679020
>>60679121
>>60679134
>>60679151
>I'm only pretending to be retarded

Is this some brazil nigger or something?
>>
>>60679272
Nice argument
>>
Does Kindle/Kobo has an online manga reader app yet?
>>
>>60679302
You never had one to begin with
>>
>>60670079
get kobo aura one, its just better, this is coming from paperwhite and voyager owner (actually my left voyager on a plane)
>>
>>60679367
You can't get one on the kindle unless you jailbreak

kobo probably does
>>
>>60679417
kindle jailbreak is cumbersome and not that great tbqh, its not cfw of any kind, its just an app that you run instead of a book.
>>
>>60679562
I use it and it's a pain in the ass. Some kid did better and installed debian on his kindle so he's got full access, but he couldn't actually do anything with it because no programs.

Wish I'd done more research on kindles beforehand; would've gone for one of the other brands if I knew how shitty the amazon software was. For now I'm just waiting for an oasis copycat that isn't locked down like amazon's stuff is.
>>
>>60679416
Why the fuck does it also not have hardware buttons?

Other than the fact that it's simply more comfortable, these matte paper displays are much harder to clean than the glass displays of tablets.
I wash my hands like 10 times a day but my paperwhite still got greasy on the sides where I turn pages
>>
Genuine question: I never considered another ereader than Kindle just for convenience sake because Amazon has basically every book ever.

How do you buy books with e.g. a Kobo?
>>
>>60670079
why buy a device fro ma company that thinks adware is doing you a favor, and that you have to hack to control?
>>
>>60679911
>buy
>>
File: 1474228593010.jpg (23KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
1474228593010.jpg
23KB, 500x431px
>>60679911
>buy
>ebook
>>
>>60679693
I only want the display itself to be glass, not the rest of the ereader. Glass is too easy to break.
>>
>>60680083
Please don't post it all the time. It has to remain a secret
>>
>>60680110
>he didn't setup a cron job to check and download the whole library everyday and fear the day the website will be taken down
pleb
>>
>>60680157
Mega pls
By the way thank you for deleting your post
>>
>>60680234
It's literally on Wikipedia, I don't know why you think it needs to be shrouded in secrecy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_Genesis
>>
>>60680234
wasn't my post
>>
>>60679911
I use unlimited on az and load books that dont have it from mobilism.
Other sites have almost the same prizes on books and much smaller library
>>
Hardware isn't too important for an E-reader desu, I have the first paperwhite and it still works fine; I want a newer one however just because of reasons.

What I do wonder is about e-ink readers that can do more than just reading. I remember owning a chink shit I bought for about $40 dollars and honestly it did much more than my current Kindle.
>>
>>60680251
There's still no need to post it everywhere. More usage of the pirate sites always wakes the jew overlords
>>
>>60680319
Dude I have a Kindle 3 wifi from 2010 and it is great. I see no reason for an update to paperwhite. All you need to be able to do is read some books and listen to some music maybe.
>>
Anyone know of a an ereader that's good for comics and manga? Preferably full color if possible.
>>
>>60680404
Why do you need a color display for manga?
>>
>>60678478
May I suggest you just keep a C to Micro dongle in your wallet or something? I have a little Micro to C dongle that I always have with me and it's really convenient and does not noticeably increase the size of my wallet.
>>
>>60680319
What I want:
An Oasis with a different OS, open source, with more storage and cheaper.

When I'll get it: 2025 at the rate of ereader progress today
>>
>>60680404
don't think there's any commercial color e-ink displays, let alone ereaders, yet
>>
>>60670115
Normal EPUB support would be nice, though it is kind of pointless when you can wrap an EPUB in an AZW3.

My next ereader will probably be a Kindle again. As much as I like my Kobo Aura, I miss being able to sync my pirated books across my ereader and phone.
>>
>>60678350
DON'T DO IT
it's fine, but having the front light is so useful and so nice.
>>
>>60678919
>can't run clash of clans
lol'd
>>
>>60680433
>Comics and manga
I like to see pretty colors
>>
>>60680383
I just upgraded from that same kindle to a Paperwhite

The frontlight means I can read at night, and that's when I do most of my reading
>>
>>60680682
Sadly e ink technology doesn't support colored screens so your best choice is to read only manga or reading comics black and white
>>
>>60678919
>>60678655
>used anything ever
You do realize other people have touched your used devices before you touched them right? absolutely disgusting
>>
>>60680705
What are the other upsides if you care to explain
>>
>>60680718
Darn. I heard about color e ink displays a year or two back and I thought it had progressed. Is there a lightweight 10 inch tablet with expandable storage? Because that would be ideal.
>>
>>60680824
>I heard about color e ink displays a year or two back and I thought it had progressed.

eink patent holders are extreme jews

don't expect anything new until the current eink patents expire
>>
>>60680746
Now that's some extreme autism.
>>
What ebook reader do you recommend me /g/? Affordable please.
>>
File: 1397133714175.png (76KB, 251x255px) Image search: [Google]
1397133714175.png
76KB, 251x255px
> unironically buying eink devices because of mah eyestrain
>>
>>60680947
chinese are outjewing them for some years already though, they don't give a fuck about patents or eink (a company)

it's inherent limits of electrophoretic technology, not patent problems
>>
If I want a good reader and actually buy books to support writers is a Kindle from Jeff "Faggot Dr Evil" Bezos the only choice? How do you use a Kobo like a normie without piracy and jailbreak shit?
>>
It's almost perfect, but smaller bezels (bigger screen in same size device) and search function that actually works without indexing (which infamously shits the bed) would be nice.
>>
>>60681710

Kobo has a book store too, not as good but it is okay.

You can also just buy from Kindle store, rip drm, and then upload to kobo.
>>
>>60684499
Or just git gud and get them for free.
>>
>>60680067
>e-ink
>glass display
what the fuck
glare would murder you
the point is that it acts like paper
>>
>>60680749
That's the main one
My battery was getting old, so a charge lasted around a week. Still not bad, but its better now
ppi is higher which is pretty nice
>>
>>60685107
Another advantage is that it's way easier to look up shit - just hold afinger on any word for 0.5s (important for language learners).
>>
>>60680383

I have owned every Kindle except original.

Avoid New Paperwhite at all costs.

It is made of creaky plastic, the touch screen is the worst I have ever used, the OS sucks (though is vastly improved with the last big update), and the backlight is a blotchy mess.

Plus amazon charges ridiculous amounts for e-books.
>>
>>60685381
so I should get the Aura 2 instead?
>>
>>60685425

More partial to H20 myself for waterproofing, but up to you.
>>
>>60685510
>H20
If only it wasn't for those fuckhuge bezels I would actually consider it. Though all e-book readers seem to have them.
>>
>there is not a single perfect e-reader yet
fucking how
>>
>>60670079
Can the Paperwhite display PDFs?
>>
I use my Kindle Voyage for regular books and my Nexus 10 for textbooks and manga. Moon reader for Android is great, but I wanted something smaller for when I'm in the train to and from work, which is why I got the Kindle.
>>
>>60670426
Koreader fixes all the issues
Aura is great
>>
>>60671912
bump for kobos
>>
>>60687130

Very poorly.

The only half decent .pdf implementation wad Sony, and they stopped making readers.

Best bet is to hope it ocrs properly and convery it to epub/mobi.
>>
koreader is better than sony (or anything else) and can be installed to anything

the problem is with screens, not readers

page per screen is fine, but if you have to scroll it's crap

also, most PDFs are not scans
>>
>>60688196
>>60688034
>>
>>60685062
current eink displays have plenty of glare, fuck off goy

glass can be covered with anti-glare coating and at least act like a very weak mirror, without that huge glare spot on kindle or kobo, so which one is better is debatable. Glass is only worse outdoors.

eink is nothing like paper, it's worse than both paper and IPS

I'm using eink readers because of battery life and due to the fact it's a physical distraction-free device
>>
>>60680067
>Glass is too easy to break.
electrophoretic displays are much easier to break than any glass though
>>
>>60688270
>>60688288
Oh hey, it's this delusional retard again.

Go back to reading on your minimum brightness phone.
>>
>>60678478
Wow, yeah sure just because Amazon is rich they should create an entire new product line with the exact one feature that you need, because you're such a special snowflake. I have a better idea, maybe you can just live with the fact that you literally need to charge it once between many weeks if not months of use, and also that just having a single type of wire handy would be much easier for all of us.
>>
>>60671912
I still feel like the Kobo Glo HD is endgame e-reader.
>>
>>60688299
who? It's my first post here.

I'm using a kobo though, but i'm also fine with a tablet screen (but not with its battery life). Just put a quality printed book alongside your reader and the difference in whiteness, contrast and reflection will be obvious.
>>
>>60688331
What generation of Kobo are you using? Newer e-ink versions look much better than the older ones.
>>
>>60688346
H2O, so it's Carta. Yeah it's better, but not that much, I also have a 1st gen paperwhite, and an LBook v3. Carta is still nothing like good paper, and you can't really avoid glare in computer screens of any kind.
>>
>>60671912
>>60673204
>>60687991
>>60688320
Seriously a Kobo Glo HD with the memory mod is the best e-reader hands down.
>>
>>60679126

I still wish I could find one of those for a somewhat reasonable price, people on eBay still want way way too much for 'em but that'll never change I suppose.

Damned shame because we really could use a decent e-Ink large display device for a good and decent price, guess it's just not going to happen.
>>
>>60680824
The "default" for colored eink(TRITON) is still 800x600, and i guess Eink is jews about making realistic sizes for sale.
They are also a "license company" so they don't produce their own shit, so the marked is basically at the mercy of major book retailers to not make a completely shit Ereader
>>
>>60685594

They're actully a good place to grip when you're reading.
>>
>>60689760
Memory mod + kobo start menu + koreader.
>>
>>60681518
I have a cheap ass Kindle and I love it. One of the best purchases I did in the last year's, been reading a lot more after buying it.
>>
>>60681710
Jeff always reminded me of Lex Luther but Dr. Evil is much better.
>>
>>60693196
>>60693067
I believe anon means that it's better for the network since people can view stuff before downloading furry shota by accident, and not actually watching what they downloaded. I agree with both of you though that it'd be horseshit for torrenting as a whole.
>>
>>60673985
You can literally do all of those on most models.
>What is KUAL
>What is NiLuJe's screensaver and font hacks
>What is Koreader and Duokan and Librerator and KPV

Read up on your shit instead of being an insufferable cunt
>>
Are there any ereaders that don't spy on me or require me to register an online account to use it?
>>
>>60680067
voyager has glass and paperwhite matte and honestly paperwhite looks much better, it same screen though, also glass on eink display just doesnt look the same as lcd tablet screen with glass on. On a tablet or computer screen glass somewhat increases contrast, on eink the effect is minimal (if there is any att all)
>>
>>60690467
I don't use them to grip.
Honestly when I look around during commute almost nobody uses the bezels for holding. Way easier to just let it rest on your hand, with a few fingers extended so it doesn't slide down.
When will the fuckers get it and produce something good.
>>
File: preeti & priya young.jpg (66KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
preeti & priya young.jpg
66KB, 564x846px
>>60679416
Just remember to flash a previous firmware version. The new home screen is garbage and has ads

>>60679911
#bookz
#ebooks
Calibre to convert if necessary.

>>60685425
Aura one desu
>>
>>60693764
also forum.mobilism
>>
>>60679126
Amazon briefly brought back the DX in..2013? Who knows, they might do it again. That's when I got mine.
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.