[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would happen if instead of my phone I connected something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 4.jpg (23KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
23KB, 750x750px
What would happen if instead of my phone I connected something else to the USB port and then plugged in the charger?
>>
>>60665160
You'd initiate a thermonuclear reaction that would burn up the planets atmosphere.
>>
You can hack the electrical grid
>>
You'll short circuit all of Africa
>>
>>60665160
Most probably nothing. If the charger is a chink piece of shit, you might short something.
AFAIK, if you manage to get your hands on a male to male usb connector and plugged it into your laptop, you'd short the shit out of it. But I might be wrong.
>>
>>60665304
youre wrong
>>
>>60665160
It would power the device.
>>
Assuming that the charger isn't complete crap and the device you're plugging into it only needs 5v and an amperage level that's not higher than what the USB charger is rated for, it'll actually power the device just fine.

Source: Powered and successfully tested last night a Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 (both 128GB) SSD via a home-made USB to molex power connector (power was conencted to a 5v 1.5a USB charger, data was connected to my desktop PC)

Maximum power consumption measured via an AC energy monitor was ~5.3 watts for the Samsung and ~4.1 watts for the Crucial, though idle was ~0.7w on the Crucial while only ~0.1w on the Samsung.
>>
>>60665345
/this
>>
>>60665160
depends what is on the other end.
usb has signal pins and two power pins +5 and GND. so it depends on what they are connected to on the other end. but it is logical to assume that they would power that device.
>>
>>60665449
why are you measuring power consumption instead of the current in mA? it is easier to think in terms of current, i,e the device is drawing, say, 100mA. and you can calculate power from that if you want.
>>
>>60665304
it would most definitely fry whatever youre plugging the charger into. USB Female ports are 5v OUTputs. A Male to Male USB cable is made so that data is transfered without power.
>>
File: F1Z5RIWHMMF58S3.MEDIUM[1].jpg (17KB, 493x321px) Image search: [Google]
F1Z5RIWHMMF58S3.MEDIUM[1].jpg
17KB, 493x321px
>>60666919
why would it fry it. if it is data only the two power pins wouldn't be connected that's all.
>>
>>60666888

Because watts is all my power meter reports.

It's worth noting that said power meter is designed more for things that pull hundreds of watts, like desktop PCs and such which is probably why it only measures to a single decimal place and it even drops the decimal as soon as wattage hits 100.

>>60666919

That's only if you're connecting two USB power sources, like a charger to a PC, not if you're connected an unpowered device (such as a 5v fan) to a USB charger.
>>
>>60667060
>like a charger to a PC
so what would happen? you'd be connecting the two power output pins together, +5 to +5 and GND to GND. it is like connecting two batteries in parallel and since there is no load that would draw no current. should be harmless.
>>
>>60666919
>A Male to Male USB cable

A what?

You mean USB-A to USB-A?
No such thing (should) exists.

And all USB-C devices are designed to deal with it.
>>
File: 1492648610934.png (36KB, 335x169px) Image search: [Google]
1492648610934.png
36KB, 335x169px
easy ps4 remote charge
very comfy
do it
do it right now
keep it plugged in
>>
>>60667060
>It's worth noting that said power meter is designed more for things that pull hundreds of watts, like desktop PCs and such which is probably why it only measures to a single decimal place and it even drops the decimal as soon as wattage hits 100.

You're also measuring AC power.
So that includes any loss from converting to DC (ie: what the adapter consumes)
>>
File: 1496071485433.jpg (489KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1496071485433.jpg
489KB, 1536x2048px
>>60667150
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (150KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
150KB, 1000x1000px
>>60667198
well we don't know what kind of power meter he has. could be a dc watt meter. can hook it up between the power supply output and the load. and that is the most likely setup in his case since he mentioned USB.
>>
>>60667297
>what is reading
>Maximum power consumption measured via an AC energy monitor was ~5.3 watts for the Samsung and ~4.1 watts for the Crucial,
>>
>>60667384
ah so he clearly said he measured AC power
but you still pointed out
>You're also measuring AC power.
makes sense now
>>
>>60667198

I'm aware it includes the conversion loss, but the entire reason I was measuring power was to see how close I was to the USB charger's maximum output.

Therefore, since the max wattage pulled was less than the USB charger's maximum output even with conversion loss, I found it to be a non-issue.

The whole reason I made the USB-molex adapter was so that I could have two SSDs in RAID-1 running off two separate power supplies (one being the PC's PSU, the other the USB charger).
>>
>>60665160
Mustard gas
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.