[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even possible to buy a brand new laptop without an OS installed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1492317825807.jpg (305KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492317825807.jpg
305KB, 639x480px
Is it even possible to buy a brand new laptop without an OS installed?

I don't wanna pay the windows tax and Dell's Ubuntu laptops cost just as much as their windows laptops, they're basically a scam.

Can I just buy a laptop and ask for a refund on the windows license?
>>
>>60655569
>buy laptop from china

or
>buy laptop
>wipe hard drive and flash motherboard
>>
>>60655569
>Is it even possible to buy a brand new laptop without an OS installed?
last i checked at least some dell/hp machines could be bought with freedos preinstalled
>Can I just buy a laptop and ask for a refund on the windows license?
doubtful, how can they remove/reuse the license once you have the machine? you'd probably need to take it up with microsoft
>>
>>60655569
Depends of the country, In guess.

>Can I just buy a laptop and ask for a refund on the windows license?
Here in France (and elsewhere in Europe i think) you definitively can, but since manufacturer get cheap keys, the refund is only about 30€ or 40€
>>
HP sells some business notebooks (probooks?) with freedos. And you can buy a barebones clevo or MSI. Or system76
>>
>>60655630
It's true but OP notices that the cost for those laptops are almost the same.

He's trying to Jew more than actually wanting to use a different OS
>>
>>60655569
There is no Windows tax. Since 99.999% of people want Windows, they assembly-line install it on everything. This saves more than Windows costs. (they get money for the crapware they preinstall, too.)
>>
>>60655879
Yes there is. Do you really think that manufacturers are just going to eat OS lisence costs and not pass them on to the customer?
>>
>>60655569
>>>/csg/
>>
the teeth girl
>>
>>60656088
they probably offset most of it with pack-in ads like trial antivirus software
>>
>>60656088
There's a "Windows tax" but it's much less than the retail cost of Windows as they get significant discounts for buying in bulk. It's not like you'd save $100 by buying a laptop without an OS.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.