[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I replaced the stock 40mm fan in my ebike charger with a noctua

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (151KB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
151KB, 2144x1424px
I replaced the stock 40mm fan in my ebike charger with a noctua fan in order to keep the noise down. However, the noctus fan would never spin up.

OEM: 12V, 0.13A, 2-pin
Noctua: 12V, 0.05A, 3-pin to 2-pin

I tested the Noctua and 3-pin to 2-pin adapter on a 9V battery and it spun up fine. So obviously the ebike charger circuitry was refusing to spin up the Noctua fan.

Anyone know why this would happen? I would understand if the new fan required more power than the OEM (maybe the circuitry couldn't spin it up) but I don't know why it wouldn't spin a lower powered fan.
>>
Maybe the OEM fan does PWM over the 12 volt line, instead of a separate line. Noctua doesnt accept that.
>>
>>60654404
The voltage is probably so low the noctua doesn't spin up. A lot of these oem fans have stupid high rpms and sound like a buzzsaw, so they're run at extremely low voltages. Below start up for the noctua. Maybe? What happens with the oem connected to the battery?
>>
>>60654467
oh that's interesting, I didn't even know that was possible, but it sounds like it could be the issue

The pwm is probably a failsafe to keep the charger from burning up, I'm assuming.
>>
>>60654506
I tested the fan header with a mm and it came out to 12v
>>
>>60654467
I can't seem to find any info about these types of fans

>>60654506
>What happens with the oem connected to the battery?

I'll have to check this out. I'm assuming the oem fan will spin up fine on 9v
>>
>>60654744
Youll have to look with an oscilloscope to see if theres a squarewave. Then you know its using PWM.
>>
>>60654766
>>60654744
A fix for this is to find another 12v point on the board and attach the fan to that.
>>
>>60654766
can you point me at some two-pin fans that can operate via pwm

>>60654792
it's a bit risky considering I'm not an electronics expert and this thing outputs 60V. In fact I don't know what else would even be running at 12v besides the fan. Maybe the leds?
>>
>>60654810
>Fan that runs on PWM
Dunno mane, most cheap fans do.
>>
>>60654810
Also, the 12 volt for the PWM signal has to come from somewhere. Can you make a picture?
>>
>>60654810
Pps: im just making assumptions about the pwm fan, dunno why the noctua wouldn't work otherwise
>>
>>60654404
Traditionally for PCs there are 2 types of fans:
-3 pin ones for the case. Two pins are for voltage and the third one is a RPM sensor. They are voltage controlled.
-4 pin ones, which you use for the CPU. They have an extra pin for the PWM input so that the speed can be controlled more efficiently.

If you put a 3 pin fan in the cpu socket, they used to run at full speed. Some mobos might be able to actually voltage-control these as well.

Now a 2 pin fan is a different beast. I assume there is no speed sensor pin and the two pins are voltage ones. I bet my ass the charger is PWMing V+ and the noctua does not support it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.