[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just signed up for CompSci classes at Uni, and they're going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: 24823_963e_12.jpg (31KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
24823_963e_12.jpg
31KB, 750x422px
Just signed up for CompSci classes at Uni, and they're going to make me learn Java.
If I learn Java, do I become a poo in the loo? Will I have to move to India?

>post your Java experiences
>>
>>60653020
Java is pretty great. It only becomes annoying when you get into the advanced shit.
>>
>>60653027
This. For basic object oriented stuff, it's just C++ with different semantics.
>>
>>60653020

>all programming in uni cs classes is done in Java

Are you me OP?
>>
>>60653020
That's a strange post. Didn't you plan to learn specific languages including Java when enrolling into CS? You sound like it is totally unexpected?
>>
>>60653052
All of the CompSci classes are focused on Java. I'd be okay if I learned extra stuff, too, but nope. Java.
>>
>>60653052

Java is the only language the uni cs courses use, unless you count shit like matlab
>>
>>60653108
engineering dept makes you learn matlab

I am pretty sure oracle shills visit my uni
>>
>>60653105

Just pick your other language (s) of interest. Whenever you have an ssignment, do it in Java for the turn-in, and then do it again in each language you want to get gud at. If you're like me, you can also turn in each language variant of the assignment in until the instructor tells you to stop giving him extra shit.
>>
>>60653124
mathworks* I was thinking about java when writing my post
>>
>>60653020
>Will I have to move to India?

No, but you'll have to poo in the street. It's the secret to mastering Java.
>>
>>60653020
>paying for college to teach you shit applicable to the real world
>surprised when java is applicable to the real world
>>
>>60653020
you don't need to worry, judging from your post you'll fail your first semester anyway
>>
>>60653105
>>60653108
That's odd. I had C, C++, Java, Python, Node JS, and a bit of scala and some meme language called Go (invented by Google). Also did some basic assembly with the emphasis on debugging (disassemble C code using gdb etc).
Where are you guys based. I am in the US.
>>
>>60653038
It's just C++ without pointers and memory management.
>>
>>60653020
People will tell you java is easier than c++ but dealing with strings and comparing different variable types is garbage. Also getting user input and output with buffer or scan is so much more retarded than the ease of cin and out. Anybody who says c++ is so much harder is retarded
>>
i gotta related question, im a senior rn taking CS through community college for dual credit and theyre teaching me java also. when i goto uni should i major in compsci or comp engineering? i had expected that java would be used for the intro programming courses but if im just going to learn to be an epic java pro in cs maybe i should avoid it?
>>
>>60653020
>If I learn Java, do I become a poo in the loo? Will I have to move to India?
If you're a Muslim or shitskin, you can move now regardless to a computer language.
>>
>>60653203
senior in hs btw not uni
>>
>>60653175
University of Hawai'i here. Java only, final destination.
>>
>>60653199
You sound way too extreme. Both languages have cons and pros. Java strings are not better or worse than C++ strings but STL and iterators in C++ are unnecessarily complicated. Java containers and manipulations with them are much simpler.
>>
>>60653020
i also had my intro to programming and algorithms and datastructures 1 + 2 classes in java. and these were the only 2 classes where i had to program something in the first 2 semesters
after that they expect you to just learn the languages you need for the other classes on your own
had to do: c, amd64 asm, avr asm, ox, yacc, flex, matlab, prolog, common lisp, eiffel, smalltalk, dlv, haskell, forth, postscript, ....
>>
>>60653199
This. So much this.
>be doing java assignment
> tfw == "op is a fag" --> false
> tfw.equals("op is a fag") --> true
Fucking bullshit implementation right there
>>
>>60653220
Damn I used to live in khaneohe. Miss it there.
>>
>>60653177
Basically shit.
>>
>Just signed up for CompSci classes at Uni, and they're going to make me learn Java.

the point isnt to teach you a programming language, its to teach you how to program
>>
>>60653177
Basically poo in the loo
>>
>>60653020
Starting with Java not c or c++. Yes poo in loo!
>>
>>60653020
>If I learn Java, do I become a poo in the loo? Will I have to move to India?

Yes and yes.
>>
>>60653199

this.

>Java doesn't have pointers except everything's a pointer lmao
"foo" == "foo" // Could be true, could be false. We're comparing reference value not referent value
"foo".equals("foo") // member access is the only way to dereference and compare the value of the string itself.

It's ass-backwards and confusing, yet every POOlang does the same fucking thing. I'm actually glad that Java doesn't allow you to overload ==, otherwise you would have no idea whether == is comparing the reference or the object.
>>
>>60656408

But this is wrong.
"foo" == "foo" always returns true.

>>60653020

You should be glad.

I'd like to see you learn programmign with something like C, C++ or Scala as first language. Or something like LISP or Hasklel.. Uhm, probably not a good idea.

Java is somehow a middle ground between toy languages like Python and complicated languages. Just do it man, Java ain't that bad.
>>
>>60658209

It works with literals, but not with arbitrary string objects.
>>
java... youll be using bluej to write shitty code and wont have anything explained proerly. its a do first ask later sort of course. Made me quite my first uni because it showed me how shit their compsci is
>>
>>60653175
same experience as you, i'm a britbong
>>
>>60653346
After taking an intro to programming and intro to compsci course, each in Java, this actually makes more sense in my fucked up object oriented thought process
>>
>>60653175
Also this, had basically the same languages (with some python thrown in).
>>
>>60653177
C++ without the good parts, so poo in loo
>>
>>60653020
>Study Java in Uni
>Go to take a poo in the loo
>Professor enters loo and tells me to poo in designated shitting hallway if I want to pass the class
>Poo on floor in classroom
>B-
>>
>>60653020

In uni, I just did java for GUIs
Everything else was C and C++
>>
>>60653385
This, anyone who thinks otherwise is a poo in the loo
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.