[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programmers of /g/, are you having fun with doing programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: images.png (2KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2KB, 225x225px
Programmers of /g/, are you having fun with doing programming as a job, is it an actually good job which doesn't make you want to kill yourself every workday?
>>
>>60650022
programming as a job will make you want to kill yourself
>>
>just programmers
>not developers
Yes, you will want to kill yourself.
>>
>>60650022
It's a lot more stressful and less fulfilling than doing construction, but the pay is an order of magnitude higher so I can deal.
>>
>>60650022
yes, fun. but why are you asking? it is an individual choice
>>
>>60650022
>Programmers of /g/, are you having fun with doing programming as a job,
Yes
>is it an actually good job which doesn't make you want to kill yourself every workday?
Yes

I run my own company so I pretty much decide what projects I want to do.
>>
I've been enjoying it. It pays well and it's pretty interesting.
>>
File: 1488930982543.gif (2MB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
1488930982543.gif
2MB, 400x286px
>>60650022
>Live in fuckoff nowhere
>Every dev job in 50 mile radius is web dev shit

Shit sucks and the pay is pretty lame for the field. I'm moving the second I'm finished with my master's, at least. If not for that light at the end of the tunnel I'd consider an heroing a lot more seriously
>>
File: 1486690537265.png (21KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486690537265.png
21KB, 500x400px
>>60650022
literally depends on who you work with, if you work with
>people who have no fucking idea what they are doing and rely on you for everything
>people who can't communicate well in english
>diversity hires with a chip on their shoulder
>bad management
good luck
>>
Relevant: https://medium.com/@mr.ed.dunn/how-to-be-about-that-tech-talent-life-instead-of-some-lame-ass-coder-with-a-tech-job-dbc0934f48f
>>
>>60650022
I don't much care for programming, but I'm good at it and it pays well. Following your dream is a fucking scam. Make as much money as possible and retire as early as you can. If you have the brains, then there is no reason to not get some sort of STEM degree and get a relevant job.
>>
File: 1479620699787.jpg (162KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1479620699787.jpg
162KB, 1462x1462px
>>60653065
>retire as early as you can.
>>
When I started out I loved it. 4 years later, it's meh. It's pretty stressful, especially if you've got a quick deadline. It's somewhat fulfilling because you're never doing the exact same thing over and over again and some problems can be interesting to solve, so you're always learning something. There's the sense of accomplishment you feel when you complete the full implementation of something but it's short-lived (especially when you have good QA guys). It's decent money and pretty easy to find a job if you're learning the right stuff. I think it really boils down to your environment. If you've got bad managers, co-workers that depend on you too much, a shitty stack of legacy spaghetti code to maintain with no conventions, it'll suck hardcore.
>>
>>60650022
it sucks. not as bad as customer service though. i'm trying to get out.
>>
>>60653133
algo:
>If you've got bad managers etc
then
> pretty easy to find a job

you have all the answers in your post
>>
>>60653133
What is the right stuff?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.