[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How unsecure is it to use old android phones such as galaxy s1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: DSC_0384.jpg (19KB, 263x320px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0384.jpg
19KB, 263x320px
How unsecure is it to use old android phones such as galaxy s1 with android 2.3.6?
>>
>>60640848
Dunno just install a new rom on it
t. Samsung galaxy ace back in the android 2.3.6 era.
>>
EXTREMELY.
you can still use one, just don't put anything of any worth on it whatsoever. No real names, no real addresses, no finance or money handling, no social media, etc.

Just use it for shit like dictionary apps and the camera or whatever.
>>
>>60641105
I only use it for youtube and camera. So im safe?
>>
>>60641271
Should be fine. Just keep in mind that anything you do on the phone is basically open to anyone.
>>
>>60641076
I checked replicant for it but they seem to have made the installation as hard as possible. I guess to keep their true GNU spirit alive
>>
>>60641271
Flash a 4.0/4.2.2 ROM on it. The stock samsung rom for that phone is rubbish. So is the camera.

The wolfson DAC is fucking amazing with Voodoo Sound though, so it does make a nice MP3 player.
>>
>>60641364
How do i flash it? Im noob with smartphones. I just to simply install some rom or something on this so i dont have to worry about google jewing me or hackers jewing me. I only need the phone for camera music and youtube. And maybe for navigation if necessary.
>>
>>60640848

There is no ""s1''''. Only a Galaxy S
>>
>>60641271
NO, you are not safe. It must not, under any circumstances, connect to your wifi network unless you've properly set up network security and it's in an isolated sub-network.

The worm risk is huge. Similarly never connect it via USB or Bluetooth to your devices. In fact turn of Bluetooth wholesale as there are all sorts of exploits pertaining to older Bluetooth drivers - these will not be fixed even if you reflash, they're hardware driver issues.

So basically it's OK so long as you keep it totally disconnected from anything associated with yourself. It has to be isolated.

And, of course, don't enter passwords etc. on it, so no going on a web browser to access your webmail. The only way you might be able to use it for authenticated activities is to upload a certificate somewhere private but credential-free and then download it over 3g.
>>
>>60641490
>navigation
The GPS is fucked too by the way. About 60% of Galaxy S1 (and carrier derivatives that uses the same chipset like the Captivate/Vibrant/etc...) don't have working GPS, and the other 40% work about 1/10th as well as it should.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161224204256/https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd

You might have to change some of the link to non archive.org version (especially for the downloads).

For the last step, instead of downloading the latest version of Cyanogenmod (which is dead), get this:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zg5772327r97op5/CyanAOSP-KK44-v4.0.0-galaxysmtd.zip

and gapps from here:

http://opengapps.org/ (4.4 pico)

Its actually ridiculously hard to find shits for old phones. All the old downloads has been dead for years, and the phone itself is like 7 years old by now
>>
>>60641597
But if i connect it to my wifi and and only use the built in youtube player, how can i get a worm? I never use the web browser
>>
>>60641826
Malicious ads. Second order vulnerabilities (dormant malware on your network that can transfer but can't exploit anything, activating on the mobile device to create a backdoor - sounds esoteric but you'd be surprised at the quantity of dormant android malware on windows machines).

Plus it just creates a vulnerable entry node in your network, so if your router security isn't up to scratch there's a vulnerable device malware can try to use as a network node. (this isn't targetted just IP range trawling).

Then there's the fact that one day you'll probably use it for something else.
>>
File: Samsung-Galaxy-S-Captivate.jpg (47KB, 527x503px) Image search: [Google]
Samsung-Galaxy-S-Captivate.jpg
47KB, 527x503px
Still got my awesome Galaxy S Captivate, the best S model. Wolfson DAC in it, I still use it regularly for nothing but crystal clear sound that rocks hard because of VoodooSound pushing that DAC for all its worth.

Fucking thing is awesome, seriously.
>>
>>60641597
>android to windows worms
>or even android to android woems
nigga what>
>>
>>60640848
Donald Trump does it. How bad could it be?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.