[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is outsourcing your IT to India ever cost-effective in the long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170527_185300.jpg (318KB, 1080x1495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_185300.jpg
318KB, 1080x1495px
Is outsourcing your IT to India ever cost-effective in the long run?

British Airways systems have totallycrashed today, not long after they sacked all their IT guys and contracted out to India. Now their planes can't fly and customers are pissed off. The reputational damage alone is incalculable
>>
>be britcuck

>get blown up or ran over by terrorists
>try to leave country
>can't because airlines outsourced work to pajeets
>>
>>60610557
Source or I'll give it as much thought as my grandad's rambles
>>
>>60610588
The biggest laugh I've had on 4chan. Nice one mate.
>>
>>60610588
>be americuck
>Much more efficient terrorists merge flying and explosions by just flying planes into buildings
>>
>>60610557
Never rely on pajeets for anything critical
>>
File: IMG_20170527_192602.jpg (400KB, 1080x1760px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_192602.jpg
400KB, 1080x1760px
>>60610689
It's BBC

British Airways: All flights cancelled amid IT crash - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40069865
>>
>>60610557
Because non-indian Tech workers never mess up right?
>>
>>60610557
Most of my job as a software engineer in America is cleaning up after my incompetent Indian teammates, which costs the company a ton of money, so I don't think it is feasible in the long run. Maybe if Indian engineers as a whole get their shit together, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
>>
>>60611268
Pajeet detected
>>
File: Die-Hard-4-background.jpg (178KB, 1520x855px) Image search: [Google]
Die-Hard-4-background.jpg
178KB, 1520x855px
Hey I saw that movie.
>>
>>60611327
Part of the problem is that many indian engineers aren't nearly as qualified as they claim to be, which results in them being given responsibilities that they are in no way of prepared for.
>>
>>60611268
It's not the fact that they are Indian, it's that they are sacking existing IT workers with years of experience in order to outsource to cheaper workers abroad
>>
>>60611268
much less than pooinloos, yes
>>
>>60611400
Yeah that's been my experience as well. It makes my job quite a bit more difficult.
>>
>>60610829
>almost 20 years ago
Enjoy being bombed daily
>>
>>60610557

P H P
H
P
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
File: Eatdapoopoo1.jpg (27KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
Eatdapoopoo1.jpg
27KB, 500x271px
what is it about pajeets that fuck up everything they touch
>>
File: 1449497618873.png (63KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
1449497618873.png
63KB, 1152x648px
xDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>60612063
Fuck off Rhajeesh
>>
>>60611327
The reason why outsourcing still happens is because it's different wallets. Management can show they reduced costs. Indian incompetency is hidden by the fact that the skeleton crew of devs back home have to fix everything. At the same time it will show that the crew at home is inefficient because they are spending all their time fixing the garbage that comes back instead of actually doing their assigned tasks.

I don't see how anyone would voluntarily outsource their code. Indians for example are horrible to deal with. They will not understand what to do unless you write sample code (solve it basically for them) or write a specification so detailed you could have solved the problem in less time. If you show them a bug or tell them their code doesn't even compile they will take it as a personal insult. If you tell them that the test case they are trying to write would require the universe's age times 10 to complete at 1 line a second they don't understand and keep going with their futile task.

Or well until they give up and write tests based on what the code outputs instead of the specification.
>>
>>60612403
> Management can show they reduced costs
They definitely did.
>>
File: herro.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
herro.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>60610557
"herro am careeng from teh mecrosoft opreting systeem, youwah computer are heve vir00se"
>>
>>60610557

l m a o

I know how insane airlines are about keeping their planes flying. every microsecond that they aren't flying they are losing a fuck ton of money
>>
>be tester
>get hands on pajeet's application
>throw exception after exception
>having a great time
>print out stack of errors
>hand to pajeet
>"you just don't know how to use it"

Four years later. . .

>be higher level tester
>get hands on pajeet's application
>throw exception after exception
>print out stack of errors and hand to manager
>told to ignore it because pajeet works for the same contractor

That, friends, is why you open a sandwich shop.
>>
>>60612441
Short term yes. Just firing the entire IT staff would have the same effect. It would runs nice for a few weeks until everything falls apart.

As we can see in OP it's bad to outsource to unqualified sources and fire your own staff. But I bet the manager responsible for the mess in OP already collected his bonus and is now working in some other company.
>>
>>60612441
They didn't, they kicked the problem from payroll to various "fixing this fucking mess" accounts like customer support costs
>>
>>60612663
A plague in too big companies. They can just axe departments under performing instead of fixing the real issue. In British Airways case they messed with their core business. I'm confident they won't learn a thing from this episode.
>>
>>60612663
not their account, fucks given=0
>>
Sabotage by fired engineers who backdoored the company. India is a first world country with a space program, I am sure their software is flawless.
>>
>>60610557
>The reputational damage alone is incalculable

How much competition is there? People need to fly, they'll still go with British Airways.
>>
>>60612774
Depending on the destination, competition is ever more fierce, especially in the low cost flights.
>>
>>60612403

It's not only that but outages and failures from IT incompetency has now become a risk management thing where companies now only need a cushion of money to pay to insurance companies to handle monetary damages from these situations. They have decided that having near 100% uptime with "expensive" talent is not preferable to paying your way out of a few IT disasters caused by outsourcing.
>>
Pay for cheap labour get cheap labour.
>>
>>60610557
>Is outsourcing your IT to India ever cost-effective
As long as nothing fails, sure.
>>
>>60611268
Because curryniggers are the best programmers in the world right?
>>
>>60613135
I think you mean Russians
>>
>>60613156
That is why I buy Kaspersky AV for family.
>>
>>60611702
holy shit that was almost 20 fucking years ago... jesus christ it keeps getting mentioned that it seems a lot fucking more recent then it is.
>>
>>60610557
(((They))) at the top get currency symbols in their eyes at the prospect of earning even more by hiring foreigners for cheap because they think everyone below them are easily replaceable cogs in a machine.
>>
>>60610588
train faggit
>>
>>60613614
Isn't Britain surrounded by ocean?
>>
>>60613646
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel
>>
also ship
>>
>>60613729
>escaping Britain by going to France

Out of the frying pan and into the fire
>>
>>60613774
Because there are no trains in France right?
>>
>>60610557

I've been telling people for years that as more and more of our jobs get outsourced the quality of our society will decline. Just wait and see when these imbeciles get assigned to designing elevators, you'll see some fucking drama then.
>>
>>60613831
Nothing happens like that without a tragic accident involving a rich little kid, so that's probably another 20 years from now.
>>
>>60610963

>global computer problems

That doesn't sound good
>>
was googling for new and found this:
http://airlines.iata.org/ceo-interviews/digital-in-his-dna-alex-cruz-british-airways

heh
>>
File: 1395605343568.png (303KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1395605343568.png
303KB, 500x379px
>>60614960
>disruptive innovation
>>
https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-airports-ba-cruz-idUSL9N1HZ00T

>BA CEO Cruz says power supply issue caused global IT failure

>May 27 British Airways said a power supply issue was to blame for a global computer system failure which sowed confusion and chaos at London's two biggest airports, with thousands of passengers queuing for hours and planes left stuck on runways.

>"We believe the root cause was a power supply issue and we have no evidence of any cyber attack," Alex Cruz, Chairman and CEO of British Airways, said in a video message on Twitter.

>"We are extremely sorry for the huge inconvenience this is causing our customers and we understand how frustrating this must be especially for families hoping to get away on holiday," he said. (Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)
>>
>>60610557
Remember kids, don't give news websites any hits.
http://archive.is/YAXks
>>
Can we really trust the power-supply excuse ?
Watever the real reason is, they likely tried to cut corners too short...
>>
>>60616379

>trust power supply excuse

No way.

It doesn't have to have the same level of robustness as the ATC system, but is considered critical infrastructure. As such there would be a backup.

So let's say the power did go out. You get the biggest generator you can find and light the shit back up. No generator? Car batteries, there are plenty of those lying around, and a step down. Back up in less than two hours.

If this has anything to do with power, it's a power surge that fried everything and they are hoping to kek that the home office has a backup. All data would be gone of course.
>>
>>60616456
Bringing a complex commercial system back on line is not the same as flipping the power switch on you Dell.
Just bringing the preipherals back up would take time. If any of the boxes had experienced temperatures outside their Start/Operate temperature ranges they'd have to be temperature conditioned before power could be applied.
It's not that simple, which is why most backups are "hot standby".
>>
>>60613831
Otis elevator moved their production to Mexico years ago.
>>
impoort flightsystem. java
replace "delta" go go "british airways"
if return = 0
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.