[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even possible to be truly anonymous on the internet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1458858419435.jpg (26KB, 736x460px) Image search: [Google]
1458858419435.jpg
26KB, 736x460px
Is it even possible to be truly anonymous on the internet?

Is the only way left to tell a secret without some entity knowing who said what to who, where, when, and even why- to whisper into an ear?
>>
>>60603925
no, if you're a pedophile on /g/ you will be found, thank god.
/thread
>>
It's getten more and more complicated over the years, but if all your friends are hobbyists it's still possible.
>>
>>60603925
Yeah, just not on the internet internet.
>>
>>60603925
With extensive effort it is possible to make a one-off anonymous submission (e.g. leaking secret government docs). This involves buying a used laptop with cash, using public wifi, and employing extensive physical surveillance countermeasures plus learning about stylometry and other meta-analysis methods and how to counter those.

As for making your everyday internet use anonymous, no, this is not possible if your attacker is sufficiently determined. The best you can do is make it impractical for a random enemy with no state support to track you down; e.g. by posting no identifying info and using different handles everywhere. For most people, this is enough.
>>
>>60603953
Please tell me your proposed methods for communicating anonymously with your hobbyist friend. I will explain some of the means by which you could be traced.
>>
>>60603992
Short of an actual bug on your specific computer, pgp encrypted dead drops over tor will do everything you ask of.
>>
gauranteed? no, not really
the problem with gaurantees is that it requires trust, which is incompatible with privacy
you can get pretty close though, the closer you get to perfect anonymity, the more inconvenient it becomes, it's absolutely not something you can just apply to everything, or do in such a way that requires no thought
even a perfect setup can't protect you if you identify yourself yourself
>>
>>60603975
Thank you.
>>
>>60603975
This is the best way to look at it. The way to combat mass surveillance is not to make it impossible, but to make it really hard and expensive.
>>
>>60603925
Use Tails on some public WiFi.
It's not rocket science.
>>
>>60604295
on a laptop you rented with cash
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.