[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My ISP in the United States has recently implemented a completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: computer-hank_hill.png (769KB, 1062x794px) Image search: [Google]
computer-hank_hill.png
769KB, 1062x794px
My ISP in the United States has recently implemented a completely arbitrary 300GB monthly data cap on its customers. I'm so god damn mad because I feel helpless to do anything about it.

>write to FCC
>get ignored
>FCC officials aren't elected democratically; they're appointed and don't have to answer to citizens

>write to my ISP
>get ignored
>can't start competing ISP because barrier to entry has been made near impossible by lobbied local laws

Welp, I guess I'm out of options. This fucking sucks.

Is there any other recourse I can take?
Will the next president (likely a Democrat) work to reinstate Net Neutrality laws?

I can't imagine all the major digital services (Amazon Prime video, Youtube, Netflix, Valve, etc) are happy about their business being restricted by ISPs.
>>
>>60603369
>My ISP in the United States has recently implemented a completely arbitrary 300GB monthly data cap on its customers.

[fake news]

>Is there any other recourse I can take?

Move. USA is massive and there's gigabit internet all over the country.
>>
>>60603385
>data cap is fake news
lol no.
cableone.net

>uproot yourself and your family across country to get different internet
lol no.

Thanks for providing a comically stupid option for recourse but it's not realistic.
>>
You brainless faggots need to kick out all the fucking indians working in your country!!
Ajith pussy pai is an indian!!
That fatherfucker instead of taking care of his shithole he is fucking your asses with a nigger big dildo
You brainless fucks kick him out issue solved
>>
Welcome to the wonderful world of Republican capitalsim.
>>
>>60603560
I predict at least the next 3 elections will be won by Democrats. Having such a one sided government is never good, but if they're willing to fix my sacred internet, I won't complain.
>>
>>60603369

Enjoy your FREEDOM!

Soon encryption will be outlawed and you will be even safer.
>>
File: 2.jpg (46KB, 640x617px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
46KB, 640x617px
>Will the next president (likely a Democrat)
>>
This reads like leftypol bait.
>>
I blame Obama. Datacaps started under him
>>
>>60603675
Yeah, but it's actually not. It's reality. I'm legitimately pissed off about this.
>>
>>60603369
>can't start competing ISP because barrier to entry has been made near impossible by lobbied local laws
Why is this legal?
>>
>>60603369
Cuckcast did this to me, which is infuriating because I live in Seattle which is a major tech city that you'd think wouldn't stand for such bullshit but comcast is unironically the best provider here, compared to CenturyLink which has a cap of 250gb vs Comcast's 1tb per month, and every literally who ISP only offers to like one or two areas so chances are those are your options

Writing my representatives didn't do jack shit (go figure) so for now, I just had to pony up $50 more per month in addition to the hundred I'm already paying just to remove the cap. I realize this only makes comcast more powerful but what can you do?
>>
>>60603708
Because that's what happens in late stage capitalism. Laws are irrelevant when you have enough money to purchase law makers.
>>
>>60603369
>Is there any other recourse I can take?
You can switch to another ISP.
Comcast also imposed a datacap not-too-long ago (1TB a month, and demand an additional $50 to remove it) but it's better than what you're currently dealing with.
Or you can steal neighbour's wifi and drive their bill through the roof.
>>
>>60603369
you actually really literally fucking think Shillary would have been lax on this shit? ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha!
>>
>>60603719
>I realize this only makes comcast more powerful but what can you do?

That's exactly the internal debate I'm having now. I don't wan to give them another dime but there's no other option.

>>60603727
There's no ISP competition in my area. Well I looked into it and there's 2 other ISPs available. One is 10 Mbps DLS and the other is dial-up. In fucking 2017.
>>
>>60603369
Got get that Weissman score down, man.
>>
>>60603719
comcast had a 300gb cap here for a few months, but the rage train caused them to raise it to 1tb which is very hard to hit. I've never even come close and I basically use streaming in place of television and my pc is online all the time.
>>
>>60603725
Late stage capitalism isn't real you idiotic commie.
>>
>>60603757
Yeah I would totally cave on this if 1TB was the cap. I couldn't hit that if I tried. But 300GB is ridiculous considering how much HD content is out there.

I got a Steam game on sale and was excited to install it, then I saw it was 60GB, which is a significant % of my monthly usage and would certainly put me over unless I scrape by the rest of the month.
>>
>>60603788
Yeah 300gb was aids, i couldn't even join video conferences with any degree of confidence.
>>
>>60603788
See, this is where piracy benefits. The game Nier: Automata is 48 GB large, but a repacker managed to compress the game down to 9GB with it being identical to the original.
Call me a pirate fag all you want, but I'm just saying.
>>
>>60603658
2 dicks in your mouth, Golden Showers. Start swallowing.
>>
>>60603807
Yeah that's ridic. Every time I load a Youtube video it selects auto quality (1080p) and I scramble to turn it down now. Can't believe this shit is happening in 2017 when data is used more than ever.
>>
File: Kuvshinov_Ilya_4.jpg (112KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Kuvshinov_Ilya_4.jpg
112KB, 1920x1080px
>>60603369

There is only so much internet.

If we don't ration it, it will run out.
>>
File: Adjit_V._Pai_headshot.jpg (98KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Adjit_V._Pai_headshot.jpg
98KB, 800x1000px
sorry situation

its almost like someone poo'd in our internet
>>
>>60603369
Get /out/ you slovenly fatass.
>>
>>60603847
Its only going to get worse with the republicans running the show. Expect to be paying extra to access fast lanes and any other bullshit they can tack on.
>>
>>60603421
I mean... I've done it. I filtered the list of colleges I applied to by what their Internet was like for students. I guess it's different because I was already moving, I just picked where based on the Internet I would have to deal with. Would do the same in the future whenever I move.
>>
Ajith pai is an indian motherfucker , just send him back
Everything is solved
>>
>>60603584
The Democrats aren't winning shit for at least a decade
>>
>>60603369
Net neutrality won't save you from data caps you retard
>>
>>60603369
>thinks data caps has anything to do with net neutrality

Proof that only morons support that garbage.

>FCC officials aren't elected democratically

This is a good thing, it prevents a mobocracy from forming.
>>
>>60603369
America is big, i think there will atleast 2-3 isps everywhere, i think
>>
File: 1494242069550s.jpg (2KB, 125x122px) Image search: [Google]
1494242069550s.jpg
2KB, 125x122px
>>60603369
>only capped at 300GB
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.