[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the desktop pc being phased out? I mean to me it seems like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 7ewl0emfqmmy.jpg (1MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
7ewl0emfqmmy.jpg
1MB, 2988x5312px
Is the desktop pc being phased out? I mean to me it seems like it's no longer viewed in the public eye as something necessary as smartphones seemed to cause that, but are they altogether no longer needed besides enthusiasts?
>>
>>60603210
Yes, this has been happening for almost a decade now.
>>
>>60603228
Yea I guess you're right. It only just kinda recently dawned on me.
>>
>>60603210
Yes. People only wanted desktops because it was the only way for a long time to use anything on the internet. With the rise of portable devices, desktops are left for enthusiasts and specialized tasks.

PCs generally have been in decline, as more and more people get all of their personal computing needs from smartphones and tablets.
>>
what do you think happens down the line when people get tired of the micro computing smartphone meme? it's already an extremely tired market losing share and the only reason why it was large in the first place was because everyone thought they needed one and now everyone already has one and that market is now giving way to other memes, it all comes down to corporations trying to find something new to convince you you need it, people who have a need for optimized computing will always use desktops for maximum productivity
>>
>>60603259
Yea and that's really aparrent with how Windows 10 feels like trying to use a tablet with a mouse.
>>
>>60603316
Again, I don't know who else other than an enthusiast would use a desktop for maximized productivity.
>>
Even if consumer-grade computing has generally shifted to smaller, more portable devices I think there's enough corporate / large-scale need for desktop pc's to make sure they'll never fully "phase out"

Also, I simply prefer to use a desktop when available. My laptop and phone don't really compare to the user experience, and certainly not the processing power.
>>
>>60603259
tablet market share is actually declining these days
>>
I don't see the point in a desktop if it isn't a >rig for playing video games. I've been using laptops as my primary computer since 2005
>>
File: ciamemeball.png (294KB, 626x536px) Image search: [Google]
ciamemeball.png
294KB, 626x536px
The CIA wants everyone to have dumbed down shit-rigs that are only good for consuming.
>>
For consumers yes, for developers it seems like a staple. There's that line
>you wouldn't compile software for an iPhone on an iPhone
Same for any real digital media production.
>>
>>60603210
that's a pretty late-generation psx demo unit
dual-shock controllers didn't come out until 1998
>>
>>60603210
>Phased out
No
>Stagnating
Yes
>>
>>60604533
No they're being phased out.

I got a summer job in government, and around the office everyone's desktop is being replaced by a thinkpad + some kind of dock for the thinkpad + second monitor.

The reason is more portability and the ability to take your work on the go nad into meetings and shit.

The only reason to need a desktop in 2017 is if you're an epic 17 y/o gaymer
>>
>>60603423
I don't like staring at one little monitor. I know you can hook up external ones, but then you're just working with a frankenstein. Rather have a desktop and a laptop for on the go.
>>
>>60605001
>The only reason to need a desktop in 2017 is if you're an epic 17 y/o gaymer

This is true but it's not the only reason. Pci slots are handy for one. Not everyone is called to meetings. A lot of pc's are connected to gear. You can put one together cheap and it's modular and you can fix it for little to nothing and change it how you like.

>>60603210

They're being phased out of best-buy for sure. But as long as there are servers needing cpus and motherboards, you can put something current together and put in a box and call it your pc. If it can run a core of somekind you can run a desktop userland on it.
>>
>>60605027
docking stations
>>
>>60605229
>Doing anything processing intensive on a laptop
Enjoy that furnace warranty replacement every three months when the shitty chink soldering cracks around the SoCs.

Only people whose jobs are worthless shit like reading spreadsheets are being shunted to laptops because they're dirt cheap and the current meme everywhere is "OPEN OFFICE/FLEXIBLE FLOOR PLAN"

In a decade when they realize that was a huge fucking mistake for 99% of the workplaces they'll go back to having the shit location placement stations like before.

This shit isn't new. It really does happen every 10-13 years or so.
>>
>>60605001
this is a nonsense arguement, and any governmental job is easily a decade behind everyone else to begin with. literally *anyone* doing video/film editing, audio production, or rendering (to name just a few examples) is using a dedicated desktop computer.

If you've got a dock and a secondary monitor, spoiler alert, you've got a desktop. just because you can take part of it with you doesn't make the part that stays on the desk any less of a desktop, and that's never going to change until society advances to a point where people decide they no longer want large screens.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.