[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are printers still a network vulnerability? What's the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: WP_20170215_15_35_39_Pro.jpg (129KB, 1632x920px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170215_15_35_39_Pro.jpg
129KB, 1632x920px
Are printers still a network vulnerability? What's the best way to lock down a wireless printer?
>>
>>60599953
I've found the best way to do that is to just use them. It'll stop working and you'll never know why.
>>
>>60599953
Buy HP®
>>
File: 1403723574046.png (206KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
1403723574046.png
206KB, 500x250px
>>60599998
>It'll stop working and you'll never know why.
>>
Question I really wanted to print something off my iPad but I have no idea how to set a printer on this thing. Is it possible to just put the ipad onto the screen of the copier/printer thing I have?
>>
>>60599953
Take it off the network
>>
File: ihJaTEV.png (352KB, 955x538px) Image search: [Google]
ihJaTEV.png
352KB, 955x538px
>>60599998
>>
>>60599953
>vulnerability
of course. modern printers have processors just as capable as some PCs. They have networking and complex operating systems.

>to lock down
VLAN it and protect it with simple firewall rules. Don't let it access the Internet, don't let the Internet access it. Only allow printing traffic to printers.

Also if you're really serious, I believe HP has a free printer security assessment they can do. It's meant as an upsell tool to sell you new HP printers, but it could be useful.
>>
if you don't trust the software the printer uses, "proxy" it by attaching it to a print server running CUPS, and have jobs sent to that to be sanitized and forwarded onto the actual printer
>>
>>60605077
-- there are other upsides to a dedicated print server as well, btw, like being able to have queues that will print on multiple printers, whichever is available
as well as being able to set user priority and stuff
>>
>>60601854
Scanning an iPad screen would not work.
>>
Why is printing so complex? I support healthcare software and by far my biggest issue is printing. Like we can interface across vastly different medical record software but not print to a fucking label printer.
>>
>>60605077
>>60601854
see
>>60586992
>>
>>60599953
If it's on your network, then it's a vulnerability.

Nothing is safe.
>>
>>60599953
lmao just unplug it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.