[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question about technology want to see what you think.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: big eyes14.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
big eyes14.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
I have a question about technology want to see what you think.

Is all of tech stuff made today expensive only because of novelty?

I mean, a graphics card that was worth 500 U$S 10 years ago is today not even worth the silicon it contains.

On the other hand a hand crafted antique chair from 500 years is still a very nice and useful chair, still valuable even in spite of historic and collection value.

My question then is this: will even high end today's technology be dirt chip in 20 years just like tech from 20 years is dirt chip now? or are they close to producing something that is valuable in the long run?
>>
>>60596009
We're rapidly approaching the limit of silicon, and unless a viable alternative appears, it may well be that in the next few years we max out what we're capable of creating for mass consumer market.
>>
>>60596094
is moores law coming to an end?
>>
>>60596094
>>60596137
There are trillions if dollars at stake. An alternative will come around eventually.
>>
Once we reach theoretical maximum processing power per volume. Shouldnt all computers be composed of modules? and the more modules you stack the more processing power you have?
>>
>>60596257
Do you want a job at amd?
>>
You're all cringe ITT.
>>
>>60596388
why?

>>60596405
>scientific intellectual predictions of what the technosociety future will be like
>cringey

pick one and chooooosey choose chose chose only one, cuase youre wrong kiddo diddo
>>
>>60596257
Clustered modules have been just around the corner for decades. PS3 was supposed to blow everything out of the water by scaling with the number of Sony products (all built around Cell as CPU, even TV/receiver) you owned.

That said, yes, op, things cost more money because they are scarce and get cheaper down to materials+manufacturing cost as they get more common. Even the eventually physically optimal CPU will drop in price as the market saturates - Intel or AMD or Samsung will run out of people willing to pay $500 to be the first to get their $50 piece of silicon, but they're obviously going to still want to make money so it'll be time to charge $450 to be second and so on all the way down to $50.01. And since it's not getting any better there'll be a thriving market for used and recycled specimens at an even cheaper price.
>>
>>60596009
Things are worth only as much as people are willing to pay for it. Even the money itself.
>>
>>60596619
no i disagree, i think some things have false value.

Like a chair is a really good thing. IT is maximised techonology.

A piece of wood you sit on. Done, nothing can be improved, will be worth it 100 year in the future or 1000.

But in technology they charge you for shitty non finished technology.

Like, once computers are maximized, THATS how a computer is supposed to be, everything else is the evil copmanies overchargin you for something that is not optimal.
>>
File: Sony HB-101.jpg (909KB, 3251x1829px) Image search: [Google]
Sony HB-101.jpg
909KB, 3251x1829px
>>60596009
I think we might reach a point where things like smartphones can't really get much better in terms of specs being meaningful, this is already starting to happen with flagships that are a couple of years old still being more than powerful enough for most purposes still.. and companies are now trying to differentiate based more on design elements.

We may hit a point like cars did somewhere around the 50 & 60s where they don't need to be any more powerful for what most people need and the design and bells and whistles and other things becomes more important. then eventually we reach another stage like cars have recently where classic cars start to feel like dinosaurs because all those bells & whistles that new cars have add so much value for the average person and they are too expensive or impractical to retrofit into a 60s musclecar
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.