[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Ethernet to wall socket adapters a meme? We have pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: DHP-701AV-th2.jpg (8KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
DHP-701AV-th2.jpg
8KB, 235x235px
Are Ethernet to wall socket adapters a meme?

We have pretty decent internet in this house and I see none of that because all of it is bottlenecked as my PC is too far from the modem and I can't get a cable to it unless I run a cable across multiple rooms.

I have to use wireless which slows my internet down like crazy so I was looking into these things and I really like the idea of having a "wired" connection to the modem a lot.

So my choices for increasing speed are either buying a new wireless card that has a 5ghz channel on it or getting some of these and "wiring" my PC to the modem indirectly.

Are these things a meme? Will they give me higher speeds than wireless would to justify buying them over a card with 5ghz?
>>
>>60595102
Haven't been able to test one myself, but I wanted to pop in because if they're shit then chances are 5GHz might not be beneficial in your situation. If your signal is weak, then do some research on your current wireless card/adapter or just replace it with a 802.11n card with a high gain antenna.
>>
>>60595102
no, they're not a meme
Powerline adapters are great when you want to run a hardwire lan in another room away from the modem, I have a TP Link kit with a wifi repeater and its great, but if you want faster speeds you'll probably want the 5GHz Wi-fi unless you're too far away from the router
>>
>>60595102
We have one in my apartment to get better wifi out by my roommates room. They work great, the only thing is that they're half duplex which you probably won't even notice
>>
do these things encrypt your data signal? if so, what's the encryption?
>>
>>60595102
Depends a lot on the way your house is wired. If the powerline apdapters are on different breaker circuits, it can diminish the speed and latency significantly. Also, you'll probably want to make sure both sockets are grounded. With most powerline adapters the socket needs to be grounded in order to use the 4096 QAM for the bigger bandwith. If they're not grounded, you might want to make sure you have one with SISO instead of MIMO.
Generally speaking, you want to make sure you have one of the newer models, the technology keeps improving to work on higher speeds or in worse conditions. But a good set will probably set you back somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars. I wouldn't spend money on anything made before 2015.
>>
>>60595102
I did my own CAT6 wiring instead, although good if you're in a rental or don't have a wall cavity to run cable through
>>
>>60595485
I've wondered this too.

What's to stop the signal leaking into the mains, especially if you're in an apartment

Surely they must encrypt the signal
>>
>>60595593
I have a powerline adapter, and it has a button on each unit that you press to enable encryption between them.
>>
>>60595102
Basically the newer your house the better it will perform.
If you have an old ass house, wifi is better

So assuming you have a new house hard wire > powerline > wifi
>>
I set it up in my house so I could connect two desktops in two bedrooms to the router in my living room.

One of the power line connections was much more stable than the other one. The stable one seemed to have 99+% uptime, but the other was only usable about 70% of the time. Ended up just getting a pcie wifi card for the computer in the room with the shoddy connection
>>
>>60595102
I've had those in my house and they degrade over time. It started out all good, but after a year or half they start to stall and periodically you have massive package loss for ~30 seconds. Sometimes when my internet slows down I had to unplug and reset them to regain my internet speed. Thought the adapters were faulty and got a new pair, same thing with the new ones. I had Netgear and maybe they just suck, I don't know.

I don't know why you would want to get them over wifi when wifi is really solid with proper adapters nowadays.
>>
5GHz will not help, it will slow down your speeds if it goes through multiple walls (compared to good old 2.4GHz).
Powerline works pretty well but you'll have to test for yourself if it's worth it or not.
>>
>>60595102
It's awesome if your walls and copper aren't old. Especially considering there are modules that also contain a wi-fi modem and gigabit ethernet. Of course you can also go crazy and just hook up your own wi-fi router to one of these things. I have a neat setup with two wi-fi integrated Devolo modules, one at my desk and one at my bedside. Works as advertised. It's especially convenient because all my modules are stick-through so they won't hog a wall plug. Good for travels too. Good stuff.
>>
File: 1455738636901.gif (422KB, 464x260px) Image search: [Google]
1455738636901.gif
422KB, 464x260px
Could you make an Ethernet to water line adapter? Just use the pipes as a conductor.
>>
File: smuglain.jpg (20KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
smuglain.jpg
20KB, 490x480px
>>60597820
Why not use water pipes for power also and just run cat6 where power lines are?
>>
>>60595102
I've used them in commercial applications and they improve both latency and network speed. I personally would have preferred not to use them as the create a security hole but if the customer is happy and doesn't give a shit who am I to argue?
>>
for me, it's indistinguishable from the computer directly into the router (as far as internet goes. I don't share files across my network). It's the best compromise if you can't or don't want to run long cables and the interference works out not be an issue.
>>
File: This triggers the indian.gif (8KB, 240x100px) Image search: [Google]
This triggers the indian.gif
8KB, 240x100px
>>60597820
>>60598308
https://archive.google.com/tisp/
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.