[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late to get into STEM meme if I'm almost 22 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1400057112083.png (35KB, 215x215px) Image search: [Google]
1400057112083.png
35KB, 215x215px
Is it too late to get into STEM meme if I'm almost 22 and have another degree in linguistics?
Like I don't want to study another 4 years at a university to get a CS degree. Can I learn on my own and get a job? I don't want to be replaced by a robot!!!
>>
>>60582745
My friend of 34 had a degree in English. Had been working as a bar tender for like 10 years. He learned front end web stack over the course of a year or two. he now works for a great company and makes $85k/year.

You can do it but it will take effort.
>>
Linguistics is solid for a while babe. You can teach the robots replacing people how to speak properly.
>>
>>60582745
You can basically do it at any age. Bonus points if you can make a meme app out of whatever bullshit you did prior.

Webdev is basically cancer but after 2 months of jabbascript and crapcoding some freeCodeCamp apps grown people are calling to offer me a job, this shit is insane. YMMV, I live in Britbongistania, webdev jobs are common.
>>
I got all my GEs and transferred to a uni at age 23
>>
>>60582745
How good were your grades in that linguistics degree?

Natural Language Processing is a big research area at my school's CS department, as well as many others. You could try to finagle your way into a research assistant-type position where you can learn about computing and apply your old degree at the same time.
>>
>>60583040
Yeah but I should've mentioned that I'm not in the US (though I studied english language extensively) and there are probably no one researching natural language in my country unless it's some branch of google trying to come up with google assistant in my native language.
>>
>>60582745
Linguistics is one of the few humanities degrees that is rigorous enough to not be a total joke, and there is enough crossover between linguistics and computer science for you to get the hang of it on your own (especially programming).
>>
>>60582745
go into the medical field or EE, no point in doing anything else in STEM unless you want to teach.
>>
>>60582936
why is web dev cancer?
>>
>>60583129
I mistyped, javascript-based font-end programming is cancer. It's a pile of hacks upon hacks and endless, useless reinvention of the wheel by guys that found out that Ruby is so last week and now move to jabbascript and start writing muh hipster.js framework.
All I'm saying is that after using 4-5 dependecines to make a tic-tac-toe game the modern webapp way (tm), I actually pulled 300 dependecies, the majority of the being retarded 10 line libraries.
>>
>>60583259
wow that actually does sound like a cluster fuck.
>>
digital forensics, e-discovery and infosec are great but difficult career paths that won't be replaced unlike most basic programming options "let's teach girls, kids, third-worlders how to code". The the fallback for many in these fields is their com skills are bad and they can't break down complex ideas to people outside of the field, so language skills are a must.
>>
Fuck off luke smith.
>>
>>60583288

>>60583259
This. Node.js is mostly a fucked-up, convoluted, and half-assed solution in search of a problem (WebSockets/One Language Fits All) and since all the hype is behind it and all of its' related technologies, you have to know how to develop for it or rip something out of npm (A fucking Javascript package manager) properly to keep up with the times. Javascript's weaknesses really are brought to light when trying to figure this shit out, and good fucking luck trying to do that, since everything's still kinda moving fast in that ecosystem, it's entirely possible to be reading some guide from a year ago that's already depreciated.
>>
File: 34657272813462.png (305KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
34657272813462.png
305KB, 600x700px
>>60583128
>>
>>60582745
Getting a CS degree instead of self-teaching is a meme.

If you've already learned a linguistics mindset then you'll have a relatively easy time with programming. The basics are pretty similar.
>>
>>60582745
>Can I learn on my own and get a job?

Yes.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.