[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any ideas for teaching an intro to programming class involving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Raspberry-Pi-3-Flat-Top.jpg (228KB, 1200x823px) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry-Pi-3-Flat-Top.jpg
228KB, 1200x823px
Any ideas for teaching an intro to programming class involving Raspberry Pi devices?
>>
rewrite the hurd kernel in vimscript
>>
Do you want to make it fun or do you want to start them on a path to becoming great programmers?
>>
why would you use a pi for teaching programming?
>>
>>60582369
Connect the GPIO to an LED array then have them program it to light up in different patterns. Good way to demonstrate loops
>>
Get Processing and go through the tutorials.
>intro to programming class
>involving Raspberry Pi
What stupid class is that?
>>
File: Homu-cut.gif (64KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Homu-cut.gif
64KB, 600x480px
Are you going to do something with the GPIO ports? Then come up with something that involves taking and giving input from them.

Are you not going to use the GPIO? Then scrap the Raspberry Pi and just teach programming.
>>
>>60582369
Lesson 1. Installing Gentoo
>>
>>60582369
WRITE A FUKKEN COMPILER
>>
>>60582429
definitely this
>>
It's a 5 week class for AP high school students over the summer.

I was going to do a brief intro to some programming basics and have a project based curriculum around RasPis. Give the kids free reign to Google for projects they think are cool to help keep them interested.

Nothing too crazy, I'm just looking to give them a small taste of what they can do if they pursue a STEM career.
>>
>>60583121
Will you be providing the Pi's? Some kids can't afford so it wouldn't be fair to force them to buy, while other kids get left behind.
>>
>>60582369
man i wish my high school had cool classes

dream class:
>first learn about electronics, make some neat circuits with some simple mechanical parts
>then learn about about more advanced mechanical parts and how to build shit
>then learn how to program some little microcontroller and get input and output from mechanical components
>final project: everyone builds a machine combining all of these skills. best ones get shown off to the next class
>>
>>60583710
Basically my school atm, but a bit higher level in every step.
>>
>>60583744
i wish i had gone to your school 5 years ago
>>
>>60582369
Is this a summercamp thing or do you work for some kinda faggy ngo?
>>
>>60583765
Its not all fun and games, they teach the 'rough' parts to: dealing with clients, product owners and or bosses. Also got calculus and linear algebra and shit. + Cryptography and security. I like it.
>>
>>60583796
fuck dude all we had was early-2000's style web design :(
>>
>>60583796
Too*
>>60583842
Im 19 btw, and one of the younger students. It's a university for applied sciences. Its never too late to learn. Most of my family finished their studies after they had marriage and kids. Impossible in the USA though, unless youre rich, ehich we're not, if we'd live in the usa we'd probably be homeless because my parents went bankrupt 14 years ago.
>>
>>60582369
No. Just fucking NO.

This "learning programming on raspi" meme needs to die.

Do programming LITERALLY anywhere if you want to learn programming. Use an arudino or similar AtMEGA device if you want to do small automatization programming using GPIO pins. Use one of the many simple ARM boards (which are similar to the arudino, except they have an ARM chip) if you want to learn ARM assembly. Use qemu if you don't want to invent the wheel but want to write ARM programs for existing operating systems.
>>
>>60583599
The school has given me a $1000 budget, so I was planning on buying a dozen or so.
>>60583771
The class is through a grant funded program at the local university.

>>60583948
My goal isn't to make them great coders. They're high school students with an interest in STEM. Just trying to get their feet wet with a project based curriculum. I'm not a programmer myself, so I figured learning raspi with the kids would be fun for everyone.
>>
>>60582392
kek
>>
Teach them ARM assembly, have them write large programs with it, and make them rewrite in x86 or some other annoying CISC assembly language.
>>
>>60582369
Have them come up with a gadget they can make using a rpi (accessories within your budget of course). Once their gadget is approved, have them write up a plan how they will build it. Again once its improved, have them research how to achieve their plan. Then spend the remaining 3 weeks building it.
>>
>>60585456
You guys should really work on your material if you think these suggestions are remotely funny.

It's a 5 week course just to keep the kids engaged over summer break, basically daycare, not a boot camp.
>>
>>60585486
Approved, not improved**
>>
>>60585486
This is very similar to the curriculum I had planned. Let them choose a project based on their interest (upon my approval), and then I would modify the project slightly so they can't just copy/paste code from a DIY guide.
>>
Teach them the joy of programming while crossdressing using raspberry pis
>>
>>60583948
you want OP to use something that's like the raspi but does less with longer dev cycles, or like a raspi but with less support
the only reasonable bit of your post is using qemu to teach ARM

the raspi isn't fundamental to learning programming (and really, if you aren't using gpio, there's fuck-all reason to use the pi unless you're literally being as cheap as possible while still looking for something where you can get actual support resources), but it's certainly a decent choice if you're looking at doing small, hardware-oriented projects
>>
>>60585562
Lol.

I do contribute to trap threads every now and then.
>>
>>60585506
Alright fine. I guess teaching them the basics of a simple yet powerful language (I guess not really powerful, but easy to make visual progress with) such as python could be interesting. They could actually do things they want (like scripts to grab information and things that interface with things like HTTP) with it relatively quickly compared to a lower level language like C.
>>
>>60583599
school didn't provide my $300 physics and calculus books, was that not fair? i didn't know
>>
>>60585421
Get some servo motors, dc motors, and a ping sensor

Make a little robot that is able to detect objects in front of it and maneuver around them
>>
>>60582411
This is good for beginners. Nothing hooks them quite like seeing their code do something in the real world.
>>
>>60585675
Maybe as the end goal of the class, definitely not as the first project. First project is maybe like "make a motor spin".
>>
>>60585695
Yeah that's what I was meaning to say with >>60585609
>>
>>60585695
Yeah, I have a starter guide that has some basic assignments that use the GPIO very similar to that suggestion.
>>
>>60582401
>implying you can't do both
>>
>>60583121
>I'm just looking to give them a small taste of what they can do if they pursue a STEM career.
You should ask them to produce them something they cannot do in 5 weeks and tell them they get kicked out of high school if they don't have it ready by the end of the course. Offer no help whatsoever, but anytime someone asks for help, give them additional tasks.

This is what STEM feels like.
>>
>>60582369
Yeah incorporate a GPS module to the rapsberry pi that they need to interface with on the UART serial pins. GPS is fun, gets you outside, and gives you instant feedback. It's also simple as fuck.
>>
This is why American education is so expensive
>>
have them develop client and server programs and put the server on the PI and make them have the server talk to the client
>>
>>60583121
>I'm just looking to give them a small taste of what they can do if they pursue a STEM career.
kick them all out of the class and tell them that curry niggers will take their spots. that should give them a pretty good taste of stem.
>>
>>60585948
if you are so stupid that a 'curry nigger' is more skilled than you are, then you don't deserve a job in the first place desu senpai.
>>
File: upset_harold.png (1MB, 1065x902px) Image search: [Google]
upset_harold.png
1MB, 1065x902px
>>60585802
>anytime someone asks for help, give them additional tasks
>>
>>60582448
>>60582369
>be op
>be a nigger
>don'twritemyowncompiler.msi
>kill self
>>
>>60582369
i think you are better off using an arduino or something, a rpi just for that is overkill
>>
>>60582369
If it is for beginners you could ask the students to create something like a personal website using python, flask, html, css and js and have it run on a pi.
>>
>>60588063
That's honestly a pretty good idea.

Create a web based client/server app.
Probably use something like node so you can be consistent with the language.
Have an image for the students and walk them through writing it to an SD card.

There's some decent simple js game libraries. You could have them make some simple games.
Like turtles moving, apes throwing banannas, quiz show style games, stuff like that.
Get some cheap gamepads and make the project involve using the browser gamepad API.

Make the final day playing games on RetroPi or something. There's a few sites where you can buy NEO GEO ROMs if you need to keep everything on the up and up.
>>
>>60588426
Those are cool ideas, but keep in mind these are high school students who probably haven't been exposed to much of this. It's a rural, impoverished area and the program these students are enrolled in is for first generation college students or kids that may have difficultly affording college. They are smart, as it's an AP program, but I'll just have to get a feel for everyone's comfort level on the first couple days of class.
>>
File: IMG_0318.gif (6KB, 560x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0318.gif
6KB, 560x384px
>>60582369
Install an Apple II emulator and teach them BASIC and assembly.
>>
>>60583948
This, don't use raspi to teach programming, hell, I've had a project with raspi this year at uni, I was surprised how I didn't need to do a single line of code for it
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.