[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will we make three 100m diameter Petawatt fusion reactors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: 1406.png (1MB, 1394x1385px) Image search: [Google]
1406.png
1MB, 1394x1385px
When will we make three 100m diameter Petawatt fusion reactors on every continent?
>>
>>60580364
I think /sci/ would know more
>>
>>60580368
/sci/ doesn't know shit. Making reactors work is an engineering problem.
>>
>>60580374
It's actually a /pol/ problem because libruls REEEEEEEEEEEEEE when you start talking about building nuclear reactors.
>>
Never because fusion reactors are a meme like transporters and hyperdrives.
>>
>>60580386
I'm a liberal. I'm only against coal and oil. I'm highly advocating nuclear power and renewables as supplementary sources.

Also, EU governance, the liberal power epicentre has been funding ITER for years.
>>
>>60580364
Why aren't we using the most efficient form of energy?

>Nuclear (either fusion or fission)
>>
>>60580386
Don't group green party fear mongering in with liberal social policy.

Fission reactors work. Just look at France. 75% energy production from fission. 12th cheapest electricity per kW of the 28 EU nations. 2nd cheapest for industrial EU nations. Never had a meltdown. Never had actenide waste pollution or terrorist theft.

We could end carbon emissions in 20 years if people actually wanted to.
>>
>>60580419
NOOKLEAR RADEASHUN WILL MAKE MAH BABBIES RETARDED AND HAVE AIDS!!!
>>
>>60580443
Sounds more like coal burning.
>>
>>60580443
I actually know people (my peers) that were doing this line and now they got engineering degrees.

Kill me.
>>
>>60580419
Technically the most efficient energy conversion I know of is tidal forces, specifically around black holes. You could use electromagnetics to slow the spin of a black hole and extract the energy until the black hole stopped spinning. You could gain 29% mass to energy conversion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_process
>>
>>60580518
Pro tip:
There are two types of engineers: pencil pushers and engineers. Guess which type those are.
>>
>>60580422
>We could end carbon emissions in 20 years if people actually wanted to.

That's what baffles me, why do they attack people's vehicle fuel mileage and manufacturing pollution instead of coal power plants?
>>
>>60580554
greed and corruption.
>>
>>60580386
>libruls
no, it's a NIMBY problem not a liberal problem.
>>
I'm sick of no news coming from the Polywell Fusion device.
>>
>>60580386
those are anti-science environmentalists.
>>
>>60580518

engineering seems broad.

wouldnt nuclear physicists/engineers be something very specific, a field that a standard engineer wouldn't be knowledgeable?
all i know is secondhand information from Thunderf00t and he says nuclear power plants are safe. id imagine most engineers wouldnt know unless they went out of their way to study radioactivity.

altho radiation contamination from spent "depleted" uranium rounds in war torn countries does deform children.
>>
Fusion is not a process that produces radioactive waste right? Why would this be a problem?

I understand why fission is a hard sell but fusion?
>>
>>60580364
Never because we wouldn't want to butt in to Big Fossil's profits.

Coal and Oil are the only power sources true Americans use.

Solar wind and hydro is for liberals and sissies.
Nuclear is for Commies and terrorists.
>>
>>60582696

Fusion is currently impossible. It is currently the holy grail of energy production if someone could put together a method of doing it though.
>>
>>60582696
Wellll it turns out that any fusion reaction usable for energy production emits energy in the form of fast moving neutrons (a very dangerous form of ionizing radiation that transmutes other materials into radioactive materials). While it's not going to be blowing anything up it will be damaging the hull and require maintenance.

There is one exception: proton + Boron-11. However this reaction is difficult to perform and tests have shown that even though p+B11 is aneutronic there are other He reactions with an appreciable cross section (rate) that go on around the p+B11 cycle and a reactor would still require neutron shielding.

p+B11 is also a really cool goal because it emits its energy as protons. Protons have a charge and are moving fast. This sounds like current doesn't it? You can perform direct conversion and skip the thermal cycle and potentially hit 50% energy extraction from the reaction.
>>
>>60582761
There's a lot to know about fusion power and saying "fusion is impossible" is verifiably false. We have fused elements together. We do it p regularly. What the particle accelerators do is far more violent than atomic fusion. Have we performed break-even fusion where the energy out is equivalent to the energy in? No but ITER is expected to. Another landmark to hit is ignition where the energy out of the fusion reaction is enough to heat newly introduced fuel to fusion. This is called ignition where all you have to do is keep the plasma confined and introduce fuel to keep the reaction going. If you don't have ignition you have to constantly be heating the plasma to fusion temperatures which is Lot of power. That's fine as long as we can get more out. There are ways that fusion reactors can become insanely powerful even if they can't be small.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_ignition
>>
>>60580422
Look at Germany. Nuclear is starting to die here in France too, it's too expensive to build and dismantle...
>>
>>60582761
Elon will fucken figure it out, he always does
>>
>>60580501
10/10
>>
>>60580530
The white devil has this, no?
>>
>>60583122
>>>/pol/
>>
>>60582839
Green party myth. You believe everything you're told, don't you?
>>
>>60580364
when the goy can be tricked into buying cheap 100m diameter Petawatt fusion reactors that don't work

superconductors and super alloys that don't exist n sheit
>>
>>60580405
I read we're at the stage now where the reaction produces more energy than it needs. to ignite the fuel but the whole reaction time is still measured in fractions of a second.
Still it's progress and when we develop it, the holy grail until we start making microscopic black holes or antimatter cheaply.
>>
>>60583173
conservative myth. You believe everything you're told, don't you?
>>
>>60584805
This literally doesn't make sense. Back to >>>/r/t_d with you
>>
>>60580530
Just break the quarks and get 100%
>>
>>60582781
Wtf i love p+b11 now
>>
>>60584705
You read wrong. Break even has not been achieved yet. ITER will smash that though. It's designed to be pulse based. There's a high chance first generation commercial fusion reactors will be pulse based. However the German Stellerator W7-X has done a half second run plasma run to demonstrate steady state. The temperature was much too low for fusion though. Each project has different goals.

>making antimatter cheaply
Can't be done. Expecting laws of physics to bend for an economic energy source is ridiculous.
>>
>>60584909
Idk enough about tiny stuff to say anything here but while reading about black holes I wondered if they are actually "quark stars" (similar to neutron stars but with quark degeneracy pressure). Something about a singularity that breaks time/relativity seems strange.
>>
>>60584940
>Big leap for fusion
https://arstechnica.com/science/2014/02/giant-leap-for-nuclear-fusion-as-scientists-get-more-energy-out-than-fuel-put-in/

>Can't be done
Never say never. Just can't be done today.

There was talk we could mine the radiation belts for antimatter. Guess there's some trapped there.
>>
>Implying the oil magnates of the petrodollar or the US for that matter would ever allow this to see the light of the sun
If they put as much money into nuclear as they do with useless meme energy sources as solar or wind this would've been solved decades ago
>>
>>60580386
This. Leftist anti progress environmentalist commies will prevent this from ever happening.
>>
>>60580364
With the anti-science agenda prevalent in western societies, this will happen only when chinks ultimately take over the world or russians drop the vodka and go back to uni.
>>
>>60585139
>>60584940
the magnetic fields trap antimatter particles in the van allen belts just like they do all kinds of other high energy particles. They'd have to develop ways to trap it in some kind of magnetic container that can discriminate and not contaminate it with regular matter which would be bad for obvious reasons
>>
>>60585139
That "big leap" wasn't a big leap for comercially viable fusion at all though. Results from ITER and the WX are crucial for possible fusion-powered future.
>>
>>60585988
I think it is all crucial for commercial development which is why researchers are doing it.
>>
>>60586036
It's important for certain conditions. But you won't see that type of reactor supplying the grid with power.
>>
>>60580386
b-but don't radioactive emissions turn the frogs gay?

It's not a librul problem; it's an lack of vision/ignoramus problem. Same as the war on drugs, lack of funding in science, overpriced education, lack of access to academic research, corrupt/incompetent media, overpopulation and closed source technology with vendor lock in.

Some fuck lacks imagination or values whatever it is they get out of the status quo than however cool whatever they are inhibiting might be with no regard for for the future or whatever shithole they create for their peers.
>>
>>60585935
desu I never even heard of Landau or Z'eldovich before I started reading about relativity. Stalin was disgusting and the USSR was a joke but the ruskie physicists are p impressive.
>>
>>60586427
Stalin fucked russia over. Too much talent left after communism got btfo. But even today, russians have many insanely talented people. I went to Moscow for one year during uni and the teachers are something amazing. It's almost like they care about students understanding their subjects. I've never experienced so many aha moments in class during lectures before, it was always during excercises from books at home. It's a shame that only fraction of textbooks are translated into english, i find the russian way of teching math superior. But chinks are still the favourites because 1 fucking billion
>>
File: god.jpg (34KB, 360x235px) Image search: [Google]
god.jpg
34KB, 360x235px
>libtard
>conservatard
>etc.

If anyone buys into an ideology and/or are so adherant to bipartisan politics that they actually hate people they haven't even met, then they are just a tool and not a very sharp one at that.

>>60582726
This is the American 'okey-doke'. Follow the money and the chain from the field to your mouth.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.