[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no open source linux phone without android or ios?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: zerophone.png (966KB, 693x1419px) Image search: [Google]
zerophone.png
966KB, 693x1419px
Why is there no open source linux phone without android or ios? I was thinking of just getting a x86 tablet and install debian on it. or bulding that rasbian brick.
as far as mobile os'es:

ubuntu mobile - dead
firefox os - dead
tizen - has potential but no one seems interested? only 3 pajeet phones, many security risks
nokia linux thingy - dead -> moved to sailfish os. what about the Neo900? Is this still a thing? or is it old?
sailfish os - proprietary ui. fuck that!
kde mobile - is it dead? what is the dev doing? the last update on the website is 2016. you know I don't want an OS that is handled by one dev, that's just as worse as ungoogled chromium.
cyanogen mod - proprietary libraries, but dead -> became lineage os
lineage os - proprietary libraries
>>
>>60575918
open source on mobile is dead. no one cares about phones.
>>
>>60575918
You would get arrested too often if anyone saw that shit in your hands.
>>
>>60575918
does it have e911 shit? I dont want no tracky by the feds
>>
>>60576145
You're right. I forgot about that. So I guess I'll get a tablet.
>>
>>60575918
>lineage os - proprietary libraries
For the phone hardware?
>>
File: 1495574945713.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1495574945713.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>60576171
I think this is like Stallman saying that Debian is nonfree because it let's you install proprietary stuff (if you want!) and that is sacrilegious to the gnus.
>>
>>60575918
You could mount that in an old walkie talkie.

Can you make a call on a pc or laptop with a sim card? Like a usb thing? I'd like to just use a laptop and run linux or whatever. Anything would be better than having to buy a phone at the mall.
>>
>>60575918
I was planning on testing plasma-mobile, but you are right, the last update was december 2016.
It uses technologies that is updated more often, so I don't know how the update process is.
Android is designed to be restrictive for the user and I wouldn't mind switching to something else.
We need to get rid of the ROM paradigm if we want phones to be secure.
>>
>>60576388
Completely agree with you. I want a phone that I can sudo update. I don't want to be stuck with a ROM that deleted everything everytime I manually update it.
>>
>accidentally touch open curcuitry
50 dollaroos down the shitter.
>>
>>60576230
It's not just that, lineage OS has lots of blobs, Replicant tries to remove it but it still has to use some blobs to make calls, a smartphone that is libre as X200 just not possible
>>
>raspberry pi
>open source
kek
>>
>>60575918
I'm in the same boat OP, I want a fully open source tablet. It's ultimately a hardware problem. You could root a phone /tablet and format it but there will be no Linux distro that will have compatible drivers for the specific phone/tablet.

>>60576526

I distinctly remember reading that the Rpi is fully open source.
>>
>>60576784
I thought x86 non ARM netbooks/tablets work with distros?
>>
File: triangulation-by-gsm.jpg (31KB, 316x266px) Image search: [Google]
triangulation-by-gsm.jpg
31KB, 316x266px
>>60575918
what is the point?
a cellphone is a tracking device per se
>>
>>60576145
Why? do you live in a shithole?
>>
File: loonix.jpg (104KB, 1024x749px) Image search: [Google]
loonix.jpg
104KB, 1024x749px
>>60575918
This is an open source car that's powered by a outboard motor.
It runs on wooden wheels and you can make one for yourself using parts worth $50. One can use it to travel 2km, load a sack of potatoes, and pull something, Soon, car's crowfunding is also expected to go live.
>>
There is a fsf approved android ROM called replicant they recently updated it to marshmallow. It only runs on some specific devices though. And even if you had a fully foss ROM your gsm provider can still compromise your privacy and security.
>>
>>60577013
>I thought x86 non ARM netbooks/tablets work with distros?

Although technically true, x86 2in1 and tablets are pretty much non existent.
>>
>>60577156
>>60577478
So basically you need a nearly non-existent x86 tablet without cellular data or gps, just wifi.
>>
>>60575918
Congratulations. You now have an ugly, easily breakable, poor performing device that is going to fail due to an unlimited number of factors including water damage and bend damage.
also the screen is shit.
>>
>>60576159
I always make the 911 operator pull my gps coords instead of fucking around with google maps trying to figure out where I am
>>
>>60577697
>without cellular data or gps

Even if it does have that you could easily disable them. It's having hardware compatible drivers that's important.
You could build your own tablet/phone from a Rpi by adding a touch screen from their store. It won't be as aesthetic/slim as a regular tablet and will have a higher $/performance cost but at least it will be open source.
>>
>>60576007

Err, LineageOS?
>>
>>60578174

>Since that time, LineageOS has been described as highly popular and forcibly developed; within 4 months from the initial announcement, LineageOS development builds covered 152 models of phone, and over a million users, having doubled its user base in the month February–March 2017.[7]

Not bad.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=raspberry%20tablet%20phone%20&sm=3
>>
>>60577175
>Why?
Probably because it looks like a home made detonator.
>>
If I could make a wish: I'd like a chocolate bar sized, haswell i5 level fast x86 device with a good attachable keyboard, basically a small surface pro with a custom os on it

And I'm sure such a device is coming within 3 years though I'm not sure of its success since consumer touch-only devices are driving people away from actual computers.
>>
>>60578900
>since consumer touch-only devices are driving people away from actual computers

This is exactly why having open source tablets will become more and more important.
>>
>>60576784
Binary blobs for gpu means the rasping is nonfree. No sbc is certified free according to fsf
>>
>>60577697

>x86

horrible architecture and ME still isn't fixed
>>
>>60578661
what is a case?
>>
>>60575918
>cool clock ahmed

that is why
>>
>>60583461
>>60580972
>>
>>60575918
Freetardation isn't profitable in any way whatsoever
>>
>Why is there no open source linux phone

Because, astonishingly, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR 0.001% NICHE FREETARD SHIT. You can never even be 'free' with a mobile phone unless you create your own carrier too, what's the fucking point of all of this when in the end you cancel all the autistic shit you did and connect to an average cell tower that tracks you?

Freetards are the biggest fucking idiots.
>>
>>60578900
>'real computers' are not allowed to have a touch screen
>>
>>60580720

They said they'll release an open source gpu driver for a few years now. They haven't done it already?
Anyway, tbf a gpu blob isn't really a problem as long as you have control over the rest of the hardware.
>>
>>60578661

It looks like a printed circuit board with some buttons and an LCD. Nothing on it looks like it's connected to explosives.
>>
>>60576230
>Ubuntu has that option too

Isn't that just java/flash?
>>
File: intredasting_fb_3031129[1].jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting_fb_3031129[1].jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>60575918
sounds cool, but my levels of autism are very low, maybe in a future could try it like a personal project
>>
>>60584295
learn to read the thread. this is already discussed that a tablet/netbook x86 with debian is an alternative as stated in the op.
>>
>>60584573
>Ubuntu has that option too
that's why ubuntu is a nonfree gnu linux os.
>>
>>60575918
Isn't AOSP entirely open source? wanting a non android phone with no apps is autstic
>>
>>60577156
a hardware switch to disable cellular functionality makes that less of an issue.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.