[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some essential networking gear, and other general tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: apartment.jpg (339KB, 2508x1672px) Image search: [Google]
apartment.jpg
339KB, 2508x1672px
What are some essential networking gear, and other general tech that you need for your own property?

I'm moving into my own place for the first time, and I want to know what I might need. All that comes to mind so far is:
>3rd party router
>Ethernet cables
>Ethernet switch
Anything else I should have? I couldn't do much before because my parents had the whole "we don't need it so why buy it?" mentality. Because I'm renting, naturally I can't make any modifications like run ethernet through the walls.
>>
For networking you are set. If you get into difficulties with running cable, you should look into getting PoE adapters (or whatevers is it called).
Your router probably already has WiFi, if not, get one that has.
Assuming you already have a PC and a phone, you should be set.
Everything else you should buy as the need arises.
>>
Dear Americans, please use an electric kettle to boil your water. A microwave is not made for boiling water.
>>
>>60570309
nice meme faggot
>>
>>60570309
no one uses a fucking microwave to boil water you fucking inbred faggot
so what if people do it anyways? trigger your yurpoor faggot brain?

I wish you yuroniggers would all die already.
>>
>>60570250
I think you're thinking of powerline adapters- the signal runs over electrical cables.
I have this solution at my parent's house (walls are too thick to drill and I can't run a cable), and powerline sucks because the speed degrades, i.e. it doesn't perform as advertised and also varies a fair amount.
>>
File: Mfw_americans.jpg (83KB, 700x434px) Image search: [Google]
Mfw_americans.jpg
83KB, 700x434px
>>60570309
>>
>>60570424
I gained fifteen kilos from reading this post.
>>
when you get your cables, make sure they are long enough.
>>
>>60570896
This. I have a powerline adapter that says 500mbps on the box but only gets around 50mbps even though I have 100mbps internet. To be fair the wiring in my house is pretty old but I mean the thing only has 10/100 ethernet ports on it so how the fuck did they get it to do 500 ever?
>>
>>60570309
You can't stop me. Just because your police state laws require you to use a kettle doesn't mean I can't boil water in a microwave the quick way.
>>
>>60570309
>not boiling water on a gas stove
pleb
>>
Real talk though, why is a microwave bad for boiling water? That's how I tried tea, and I can't imagine how it could possibly change things. Hot H2O is hot H2O.
>>
>>60574391
If you throw a wooden spoon in with it it should be fine.
>>
>>60569055
>router AND switch
nigger how many ethernet connections are you making
>>
>>60574391
There's nothing wrong with it. They probably heard some story about superheated water exploding when they pulled it out, which is hard to achieve even if you want to.
>>
>>60574455
A switch is useful if his router is on one end of the house and all the rest of his shit is in one room
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.