[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fun fact, you can still browse 4chan on MS-DOS. It's a pain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: Arachne Browser.jpg (472KB, 2196x1324px) Image search: [Google]
Arachne Browser.jpg
472KB, 2196x1324px
Fun fact, you can still browse 4chan on MS-DOS. It's a pain in the ass to set up due to the fact that the 0x60 hook is a thing and packet drivers have to be manually installed, but it can be done.. (Also DOS doesn't take screenshots and virtual machines are too fast for that authentic DOS experience.)
General DOS thread, I guess.
>>
Bump out of interest
>>
>>60569026
That's neat, but I assume you can't post due to javashit.
>>
How fucking old are you, OP?
>>
Imageboard on Dos you made my day
>>
>>60569078
Exactly, I would have posted, but I can't captcha. I can't set it to captcha v1 because the settings are also in javascript and won't work either.
>>
>>60569198
Since it can't post, this would be the perfect browser for newfags while they lurk kek
>>
>>60569026
I wish I was around for dos programming
everything was simpler back then
>>
>>60569325
Well x86 assembly and machine code was still pretty prominent, so it wasn't a walk in the park there either.
>>
>>60569293
kek haHAA lol XD
>>
>>60569475
>x86 assembly and machine code was still pretty prominent
that's what I mean
everything was a lot closer to actual hardware
I actually wrote a really basic 8086 disassembler
I planned to implement 80286 -> 80386 and so on since they share a lot in common but I haven't really gotten around to it yet
>>
>>60569957
That's pretty cool actually. For one thing, you didn't have all these hardware abstraction layers back then, you could actually know what you were doing.
>>
File: IMGP2002.jpg (1MB, 2793x2500px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP2002.jpg
1MB, 2793x2500px
>>60569026
I set up my IBM AT for that, with it's blazing-fast 8MHz 80286. It crashed trying to load 4chan. Could handle stuff like motherfuckingwebsite.com though, albeit with a ton of swapping.

There's a TCP package called mTCP that some dude wrote. Comes with a DHCP client, an FTP client and server, a telnet client, and some other stuff. He GPLed an older version, no idea why he changed his mind for the newer one. But if you bring the packet driver you can run a telnet server on your Linux machine and use your DOS box as a terminal.
>>
>>60569293
>lurking

thats obsolete lmao. when i started browsing earlier this year i just read all i could on know your meme and other meme wikis.
>>
>>60569026
Anyone remember a DOS painting/graphics program called "Splash" or similar? I can't find any record of its existence, but I used it a ton on my 286.
>>
>>60569293
LMAO ANON GOOD ONE YOURE TRULY AN OLDFAG LIKE US XD
>>
>>60569026
this is not an MSDOS GUI
wow did you know you can browse 4chan on MSDOS?!
>loads up windows 95
>>
>>60570541
what constitues an "MSDOS GUI", then? arachne doesn't require windows, it doesn't even have a windows version
>>
>>60569198
Export settings with a link and use that to change settings?
>>
>>60570467
neo-/g/ everyone
Before KYM existed we had ED anyway, which was actually amusing in its own right.
>>
>>60569083
how fucking gnu are you faggot?
>>
>>60570649
A good thought, but having to copy a link like that by hand would be slightly tedious.
>>
>>60570788
Put it on a website as a link then
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.