[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /g/, i've decided that I want to move on from wincuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: download.png (4KB, 390x129px)
download.png
4KB, 390x129px
Ok /g/, i've decided that I want to move on from wincuck and move on to any distro of Linux, but i have no idea which one. I want one without systemd. Which one? I heard pix related is gud
>>
> I want one without systemd.

Why?

Arch comes with systemd btw.
>>
File: 20140927939039-22a04aa4-th.jpg (5KB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
20140927939039-22a04aa4-th.jpg
5KB, 250x175px
Gentoo is one of the few distros left that don't use systemd
>>
>>60549039
Look, I have been using GNU/Linux for 17 years now, and I dislike systemd. But for a new user like you, there is nothing essentially wrong with it.

About what distro: Fedora is pretty good. Just remember to install the Gnome Tweak Tool and some nice theme (like Arc).
>>
>>60549182
Ive lurked in /g/ for awhile, and i just dont want exploits like wanacry for linux, and ive heard that systemd sucks because of exploits
>>
>>60549039

try void linux, it doesnt use systemd and it seems to have some cool features

or you can go the BSD route, BSDs dont have systemd and everything comes from one source, ZFS and jails on freeBSD are worth it
>>
>>60549895
>ive heard that systemd sucks because of exploits
You've heard wrong. Security is a hard thing to draw a bead on in Linux because each distro has it's own solutions in that regard. Plus, you have the option to run hardened kernels and all kinds of other weird shit. Don't write off systemd because of rumors, you'll have an easier time getting assistance with problems if you stick with it.
>>
systemd is fine, don't listen to suckless memers
>>
>>60549039
>I want one without systemd
Then go with Gentoo. Here is everything you need: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page

Enjoy your Kino OS
>>
>>60549039
search for openRC Arch
>>
dumb wincuck.
>>
Just install Ubuntu.
>>
>>60549895
The problems people have with systemd are mostly for ideological, not technical reasons.
>>
>>60549039
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>60549065
I'm an arch user and I hate systemd. I'm planning on migrating my arch to nosystemd or going full gentoo and bsd.

My reasons are:
>boot is becoming slower every systemd update
>had to tweak my systemd to disable coredumps because systemd made coredumps write my whole ram footprint in my 2gb free disk
>other issues like my networkmanager suddenly not using my custom dns and using the google dns fallback by poettering systemd (fucking shit)
>systemd is slowly eating all security features. although the code is FOSS as in GNU FOSS it's fucking insecure and trashy like the tty priv. escalation incident
>>
>>60553851
It's actually not hard to migrate to a nosystemd arch. There's an arch-openrc repo that you can add and get working with a few commands. Just have a live usb ready in case you fuck up and need to chroot.
>>
As a beginner you won't know shit about about inits system d, etc

First learn to get around the CLI before you start worrying about shit like that.

But Arch is fine for a serious beginner. Install by advising the wiki, and actually pay attention to what you're doing and the commands you're learning. Use the opportunity to learn how to use commands to partition, set up WiFi, etc.

You can always swap out sys d later, don't worry about it for now
>>
>>60549039
gen2. it's actually the best linux avaliable, if you're moving because you don't want loads of shit and services that need attention on your system.

and if you're fine with that than you should stay on windows, cause linux desktop distributions are even worse.
>>
Just installed Debian, uh I'm exhausted. It's so simple to install an encrypted arch from cli, also I'm under a university network so I need to login sometimes (curl -u <password>) so I can't do it using debian installer. No wifi drivers, no touchpad drivers. Almost 1 hour making it usable vs arch just works.

Well I'll keep debian for now since I don't have enough time to update arch daily on both pc and laptop.
>>
Gee, there totally isn't a fucking comic about this because this never happens
>>
>>60554125

I disagree, actually its very good if a begginer worries about stuff like that because he will probably learn more by questioning and then resreaching everything than by ignoring advanced stuff, its all about attitude, if he is determined to learn and rice the hell out of system then by all means he should do that
>>
>>60554332
I agree with that, but I don't think he should worry about replacing system d right now, and rather should brush up on basic fundamentals.

Don't get me wrong, in just a few weeks he could go full autist on it, if not earlier. But either way, he doesn't have to pay too much mind with it if he goes with Arch.
>>
>>60549039
Haven't started using linux yet and still don't want systemd? Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>60549039
>still on windows
>worried about systemd
>haven't even tried linux yet
Just give mint a try in a vm and see if you even like it.
>>
>>60554391

well there is truth to that, or he can go with something like gentoo and bypass the problem

in any case its best for him to just play for a while and just explore the stuff in VM, when he learns it will be easy to build a complete system to preferred specs
>>
Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

It's brainless and just werks.
>>
>>60549120
really?
>>
>>60554239
>I don't have enough time to update arch daily
The updates are literally less than a minute if you do it daily and maybe 5 minutes if you wait a week
>>
>>60554533
Problem is he's not at a point where he can determine whether he actually wants systemd or not apart from being exposed to anti-systemd sentiment.
>>
>>60549120
It uses systemd, just not by default.
>>
>>60551827
explain
>>
>tfw there are people using gentoo with systemd.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.