[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Try to update arch on laptop >X server breaks I guess

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: 1495314413740.png (27KB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495314413740.png
27KB, 658x800px
>Try to update arch on laptop
>X server breaks

I guess the arch neet meme was right all along.
>>
>be an idiot
>things don't work and I don't understand why

checks out
>>
>>60527011
>trying to update your computer makes you an idiot

This is why people don't want to use Linux.
>>
>>60527023
then go back to wangblows you normalfag !*!*!
>>
>>60527005
Linux is for losers mate
>>
>>60527005
>arch
you honestly got memed. The only distro I would suggest for people not willing to waste time is Fedora. /g/ will shit talk it just because its easy to use and not completely broken on every update, even gentoo is less of a meme than arch, atleast with gentoo you get the ability to use USE_FLAGS and thereby compile everything for your hardware
>>
>>60527100
Is arch only for neets then? If I had a shekel for each time x server broke.
>>
>>60527005
how is it even possible to break X without doing something retarded.

worst case you have to reinstall X and regenerate xorg.conf
>>
>>60527138
it honestly is. I think its legit the most meme linux distro, it offers nothing over debian unstable/testing and nothing over gentoo. If you want a proper desktop distro for real use just go Fedora, it has sane defaults and only packages that you need by default and has selinux enabled and working by default. the installer even lets you setup full disk encryption really easily.
>>
>>60527154
Easily. Merely updating for the first time in months breaks it all.
>>
>>60527155
Honestly fedora is the savior of Linux desu.

Arch is oksy with the wiki and AUR but besides that it can be really shitty.
>>
>>60527183
huh, i didn't use my arch install for like 6months and the only thing that was broken was my boot partition (windows update fucked it up).

had to reformat, reinstall bootloader and kernel, no problems with updates.

git gud.
>>
>>60527198
Okay then tell me how to fix this.
>>
>>60527206
post your Xorg log maybe
>>
>>60527138
>>60527005
my xorg hasn't broken since an ABI change from 1.13 or 0.9 or something 5-7 years ago, and that was because of nvidia being shit
>>60527100
so you think gentoo is better than arch on laptops? do you WANT people compiling for days or something? why would I want to spend 10-20 minutes everytime I wanted to install a few programs
>>
Did you reinstall your graphics driver with the new linux headers?
>>
>>60527214
termbin.com/2pmh

Here
>>
>>60527100
but my wlan card doesn't work on fedora
>>
>>60527005
Sometimes i have to delete pacman database and other useless files left from updates. Aside that i haven't see any problem with it. Maybe you have an nv card or something.
>>
>>60527154
it's not recommended to have an xorg anymore, even a generated one
>>
>>60527234
What seems to be the problem? Black screen?

I thought it was crashing but that doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>>60527206
>Okay then tell me how to fix this.
why are you using arch if you're too retarded to google/fix your own problems? stick to something dumbfuck friendly
>>
>>60527005
>things that never happened
>>
>>60527282
this
>>
>>60527281
Yes
>>
>>60527100
>Fedora
just google linus fedora
>rekt
>>
>>60527183
i -Syuu once a year
it just werks™
>>
>>60527281
It sounds just like the displayport bug with nvidia drivers but he's on a fucking thinkpad lol
>>
>>60527297
what is your /etc/X11/xorg.conf or your /xorg/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
>>
>>60527332
I deleted those just now
>>
>>60527368
okay, you should uninstall nvidia drivers and then see if nouveau works.
>>
>>60527381
How do I do xorg -configure it keeps saying it's already running
>>
>>60527381
fuck off you cunt that literally fucks up every pc ive done it on
>>
>>60527399
that's the point, it helps isolate a little better to see if it's an x11 bug, a kernel one, or an nvidia. wtf are you doing uninstalling nvidia to try out nouveau if it's already working?
>>60527395
pkill X
nvidia-xconfig
>>
>>60527415
Okay it said it wasn't able to locate x configuration file and xorg server package wasn't found somehow it made new x conf
>>
I wonder what people will be bashing Arch with after xorg gets replaced by wayland
>>
>>60527452
yeah nvidia-xconfig generates a new config for you, does it work now?
>>
>>60527462
No startx is still not working. Should I get rid of nvidia package now
>>
>>60527100
Honestly you get memed if you start off with arch just because /g/ says so. I personally use it daily since ubuntu switched to unity.

Used gentoo, debian (mostly in VMs and mostly kali/parrot) and fedora aswell. I just prefer Arch for the amazing wiki and community, because it forces you to understand what your doing but not as much as gentoo (which is great on its own too) and for pacman and AUR.

FYI you can compile the kernel with arch aswell:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels/Arch_Build_System

I'm pretty sure it can be done with debian, slack and other distros. Don't get meme'd yourself with gentoo.

Basically any distro is like the others if you build it yourself. It's just a kernel, repos and a package manager.

>inb4 typos, on mobile atm.
>>
>>60527490
have you tried these first? also I'd still keep your xorg.conf empty / removed

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Blackscreen_at_X_startup_.2F_Machine_poweroff_at_X_shutdown
>>
>>60527554
Ok I removed the xorg.conf and uninstalled nvidia and installer nouveau. Rebootinh noe
>>
>>60527554
>tfw it works

Thank you based anon
>>
>>60527652
nouveau can be pretty slow / shit battery usage on the wrong gpu, if you want to get the nvidia proprierty working you can try the stuff in that link above. Add "nvidia" to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and then run mkinitcpio -p linux and then pacman -Syu nvidia nvidia-utils and reboot

that's if you care enough though lol
>>
>>60527697
I guess ill try to do that. I'm using thinkpad t420 and also I noticed screenfetch doesn't show gpu name
>>
>>60527712
yeah I was just looking at that, you might want to try bumblebee actually

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143672
>>
>>60527730
Ill look into later I think but thanks senpai
>>
>>60527234
>kernel is 4.9
The current Arch kernel is 4.10 you sack of shit.
>>
Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>60527506
Basically this. Pacman is maximum comfy, and building certain packages from source if you want to is super easy.
>>
>>60528826
It does if you install Arch.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.