[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>$60 a year for UNLIMITED online storage How's this possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: backblaze.png (514KB, 1226x900px) Image search: [Google]
backblaze.png
514KB, 1226x900px
>$60 a year for UNLIMITED online storage
How's this possible? What's the catch?
>>
Shill ----->/out/
Fuck you for ruining /g/
>>
420 blaze it xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>>60517806
this
>>
>>60517806
I'm not shilling anything you stupid faggot I'm wondering how they can offer online backup that would cost less than buying an external hard disk.
>>
>>60517833
you buy a hdd once
>>
>>60517789
two catches. One, it runs through their (non-free) application only. You can't use the unlimited plan from the command line or from Linux. If I remember right from when I looked into backblaze a while back, this also means that you can't encrypt data before they see it. Two, most significantly and related, it's one of those things that's based on offering something "unlimited" on the assumption that most people will never use much of it. Their business model is lots of normies backing up a few gigs of photos and shit. Watch them cut you off if you try to use their unlimited plan to pack up several terabytes - like how the mobile operators did with data plans some years back.
>>
>>60517789
Few options
1. They are selling your data further for profit
2. They only allow you to upload data that you have on your drive (backup not storage), hence you are limited with size of your HDD.
3. They are during client grabbing phase and pricing will change.
>>
I'm pretty use it's UNLIMITED***
>>
>>60517912
/Thread
>>
>>60517789
1TB icloud storage is only $9 a month my goy
mass cloud storage is dirt cheap nowadays, and i wouldnt use any (((third party)))
>>
>>60517789
>"""""""""""UNLIMITED""""""""""""""""""""
read the fine print goy.
>>
>>60517896
>on the assumption that most people will never use much of it.
Pretty much this.
Something similar happened with OneDrive from M$ awhile ago where like 2% of users were actually using the "unlimited" part and they had to backpedal and say OKAY GUYS NVM ITS JUST 1TB
>>
I had a storage account for a few terrabytes on that one Chinese site but they closed down. I lost terrabytes of my photos.
>>
>>60518003
>3-2-1
>>
Protip: Just get an Usenet account, encrypt your shit and upload it there. Literally unlimited storage for as low as $4 Clapistan coins per month :^)
>>
>>60517896
>>60517994
>offer unlimited something
>someone actually dares to assume paying for unlimited something means they're actually allowed to use it for unlimited whatever
>the fucking audacity of these people!
>WE EXPECTED YOU TO NOT ACTUALLY USE WHAT YOU PAID FOR. THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THEY PAID FOR ARE """""""ABUSING""""""" THE SYSTEM BECAUSE WE NEVER ACTUALLY MEANT """""""UNLIMITED""""""" NOW GET YOUR SHIT OFF OUR SERVICE OR WERE GOING TO DELETE IT ALL

bravo corporate anything
>>
>>60517789
>buy a 50$ 1tb hdd
>backup everything
>buy a pizza and some candies with the other 10$
>>
>>60517789
B O T N E T
>>
File: 1435346725397.jpg (1MB, 1141x1141px) Image search: [Google]
1435346725397.jpg
1MB, 1141x1141px
>>60518393
Was looking at 4g usb modem and wireless subscription, ~1-2 year prior to 4g being common in mobile phones. Every company except one had their highest plan being """unlimited""" data, which meant you would get throttled to unusable speeds when you got over 10 times the average of 1,3 GB data.
>>
>>60517789
Try storing 20 TB on there and see what happens.
>>
>>60518393
Its a well known marketing trick, its just a stupid idea to do with most tech stuff because it's a sunken cost tactic, like offering "unlimited appetizers" at applebees. They expect you to get one, two, MAYBE three appetizers and then order a bunch of other food and drink while you're there. Or those $5 rotisserie chickens, they offer those at a loss so you'll buy other shit when you're at the store.
>>
i don't know much about this but doesn't google drive have unlimited storage for free?
>>
>>60518823
Nope

https://www.google.com/drive/pricing/
>>
I'm doing my first backup as we speak onto Crashplan. Same price as backblaze. 2TB is all I have but supposedly its secure enough that not even (((they))) have access to my data.

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Code42_app_reference/Security_settings_reference#Custom_key
>>
>>60517789
It's unlimited backup, not storage. To store 10TB, you have to own 10TB. Most people aren't going to have anywhere near that much, so they subsidize the 0.01% of data hoarders.
>>
>>60518693
>a terabyte is unlimited
>>
>>60518735
I get that but it's still incredibly stupid to offer it then come back and say WHOA, WHOA, WHOA NOW SALLY. YOU MIGHT BE PAYING FOR UNLIMITED BUT WE CANT ACTUALLY LET YOU USE UNLIMITED! ARE YOU STUPID? DO YOU REALIZE HOW EXPENSIVE THAT WOULD BE?!?!?! WE MAY SAY ITS UNLIMITED BUT YOU CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF IF YOU EXPECT TO GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR!
>>
>>60518892

Actually this is the link:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Configuration/Archive_encryption_key_security#Securing_your_archive_with_a_custom_key

Also, as an FYI for people thinking of doing this. The upload speed is slow as shit, eta 30 days at the start of my upload which was two weeks ago. Now at 30%... RIP.
>>
Fair use clause + average user doesn't have much data to backup.
>>
>>60517789

*We will throttle the shit out of your upload and download speed over 5gb.
>>
>>60517789
Get the fuck out of here and don't come back you shill.
>>
>>60517966
2tb hard drive is 44 dollars once. How is your Jewish pricing scheme a "good deal"?
>>
>>60518393
>tfw I live in BFE and have T-Mobile (((unlimited))) data.
>They start throttling you at 26 GB/month used in "high traffic areas"
>Live in BFE so there are never any high traffic areas
>Use 300+ GB/month data minimum

Take that, you pink faggots
>>
>>60518896
What if I sync my /dev/random or /dev/full? They're both files on my computer so I should have the right to backup them.
>>
>>60518896
>you have to own 10TB
what if I told you I have several exabytes of white noise stored on my hdd?
>>
>>60519101
>>60519218
Those are device "files", not regular files. I don't know about Backblaze, but Crashplan does not allow backing up device files obviously.
>>
>>60517806
No, he needs to come here >>>60514523. It's why I created the thread for people like us. And we did not ruin /g/.

Fuck you.
>>
1. You are only allowed to back up one computer and any drives attached to it
2. File revisions are only kept for 30 days
3. You must reconnect any drives every so often otherwise their backups will be deleted
4. You can't back up a NAS
5. They probably look at your data or at least compress it

>>60518892
Rumor says that crash plan is removing their consumer product on June 1st and will stop supporting and keeping the data for those users
>>
>>60519595
>Rumor says that crash plan is removing their consumer product on June 1st and will stop supporting and keeping the data for those users
Fine by me as long as they refund my subscription. I have a fat NAS now.
>>
>>60518693
Or get the $5/mo plan, buy whatever you want with the other $45.
>>
>>60519041
>>60518693
>backup drive dies
>lose 6 months of backups
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>60519041
>>60518693
If your house catches on fire while you're away, what are you going to do once that hard drive is destroyed and your backup files are gone?
>>
File: 1490623147214.png (262KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
1490623147214.png
262KB, 600x421px
>buy the storage
>fill it with rare pepes
>Get classified as a national security threat for posting hate symbols
>>
>>60517896
>you can't encrypt data before they see it
How would they even enforce that? What's stopping you from uploading a truecrypt volume or even a password protected 7zip archive?
>>
How does it actually work? Reading this thread it makes it sound like they have some software that scans your PC and backs up files you have on there automatically. I can think of so weak points in this scheme - from reverse engineering whatever web API they use and uploading anything (including /dev/urandom) to programmatically generating terabytes of "files" for the software to pick up and backup, filled with either random noise or some pattern.

How are they able to enforce the "unlimited backup, not unlimited storage" bit?
>>
>>60521212
They can make it go slow for people who use it more
>>
>>60519794
>if an asteroid falls in you backyard and destroys your country and the neighbooring continent, your hard drive ain't gonna help you you know
Holy shit
>>
>>60517789
Their b2 storage plan seems more reasonable. I signed up the other day after amazon essentially closed their "unlimited" clouddrive and it'll cost me as much as buying new drives every year, but it'll also be a proper off-site backup.
>>
>>60519794
I can't keep everything off-site, but the important stuff I burn to DVDs. When I see people I know I give them a DVD and ask them to keep it in a drawer somewhere in case there's a disaster.

I offer to keep backups for them but they're always too lazy to make them
>>
>>60519595
>You are only allowed to back up one computer and any drives attached to it
>any drives attached to it
Plugging in an Ethernet cable is basically attaching all drives in the world so I can back up the entire Internet?
>>
File: jesus.jpg (43KB, 379x503px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
43KB, 379x503px
>>60522232
>>
File: 1489613162455.jpg (92KB, 745x497px) Image search: [Google]
1489613162455.jpg
92KB, 745x497px
Company gets paid and they set some of it aside towards more storage. Their entire business model is capitalizing on knowing normies who use it aren't going to max out their storage before they get paid again. Most people who are dumb enough to fall for this aren't going to store that much but with that kind of cash they could buy a 1 TiB hard drive which is ten fold of what they ever expect the average user to use. Also haven't even heard of them but I assume their privacy policy will tell you alot about what they might do with your data. After alll its not the cloud, just someone elses computer and in this case tbhat someone else is a corporation thirsty for cash.
>>
>>60517896
I emailed them to check if I could use their service to backup my 26 TB home server and they said it'd be alright. The harder part will be transferring 26 TB over the network, and the hardest will be restoring from their backup.
>>
>>60517789
Did they always offer this or are they just trying to capitalize ACD blocking rclone?
>>
They have a proprietary client that only allows local drives, not mounted network shares. Technically you could use software to mount a network share as a local drive to get around this limitation.
>>
File: 1481898848747.jpg (18KB, 239x215px) Image search: [Google]
1481898848747.jpg
18KB, 239x215px
If you start uploading 50tb of shit I guarantee there is a clause in the end user agreement that either limits how much you can upload within a specific timeframe or gives them the ability to bottleneck you.

Either way, it's unlimited in theory but in no way practically. You could probably get away with 5tb a year. But when this bullshit startup dies in 2 years like every fucking other startup. You're gonna have 10tbs of storage you have no idea what to do with. Just do yourself a favor and delete some of your shit you dont need or buy a harddrive yourself.
>>
>>60517896
this is called overselling and is done by literally every single hosting company, every single telco, every single cable provider, and every single cellular provider.

unlimited calling and unlimited texting isn't unlimited; they're expecting a certain amount of usage and adjusting rates accordingly. sure, there is always the top 1% that will use more than everyone else; but of paying customers, they are outliers and their expenses are covered by other customers.

do you really think if every dickhead that has access to 300mbps DOCSIS cable started downloading shit at 100% load all the time wouldn't rip those networks to shreds.

welcome to the world of IT boys. nobody over-engineers here.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.