[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hasn't anyone found a security flaw that is not patched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

Hasn't anyone found a security flaw that is not patched yet in Linux?

I mean, there have been leaks by the NSA for Windows. Where are the leaks for Linux?
>>
>>60510808
You are talking of the most used kernel for high end computers. Of course you could find security flaws, but these don't survive long after being discovered.
>>
>>60510884
>linux is a computer
>>
inb4
>b..but no-one uses linux!
linux = %40 of web pages, find a security hole in linux and hack %40 of world wide web
oh i wonder why any hacker group didn't do that
maybe because it's impossible?
>>
>>60510911
It just doesn't survive that long. Only NSA may have something more lasting, and they probably only would release it if their buddies at Microsoft need it in an urgency.
>>
>>60510808
linux is open source so there are more people looking over the code than at microsoft

even at microsoft only a select few have any chance whatsoever of understanding the clustefuck that is their codebase, and that number is dwindling
>>
>>60510808
Nobody cares about irrelevant operating systems.
>>
>>60510899
>I don't understand what I read
>>
>>60510958
>people who are this clueless are on /g/ now
I think it's time for me to leave.
>>
>>60511033
Just because your /g/'s only official OS is linux, it doesn't make it the one and only for the rest of the world.
Shocking, I know.
>>
>>60510808
>Hasn't anyone found a security flaw that is not patched yet in Linux?
Well yes, but then they get patched.
Pressing backspace 28 times to bypass password entry for example.
>>
>>60511131
Just because you personally hate linux, it doesn't make propriety system x the one and only for the rest of the world.
Shocking, I know.
>>
>>60511131
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
Please stop emberassing yourself.
>>
>>60510899
>Used for
How fucking retard are you?
>>
>>60511407
So you just made him right? Those Linux numbers are embarrassingly low. Doesn't really help that it's combined with all distro's and more random shit like chromeos.
>>
>>60510899
Even that's still correct.
>>
Ubuntu had something a year or two ago that if you held enter on the password screen it would just login.

Other than that, you wont find a 0 day public online, you either have to find it yourself or pay for it.
>>
>>60511321
That wasn't linux that was grub u fuck
>>
File: 1495340261779.jpg (60KB, 1014x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1495340261779.jpg
60KB, 1014x1024px
>>60511407
Someone out there is still using Windows 98
>>
>>60511568
The only issue with that is that it's not modern...
That's why most of us use 7 when Linux is not used.
>>
>>60511453
So, you won't ever bother reading these and that makes you correct?
>>
>>60511622
I guess it can be useful if you're using some super old program that your company has to rely on.
>>
>>60511683
Not him, but legacy systems, difficulty of migration and the need for uptime may also be the reasons.
>>
>>60511504
It's the same thing when you're retarded
>>
>>60511568
Legacy systems are arguably more secure than modem systems since most malware can't run on them.
>>
>>60511131
But you said Linux is irrelevant.
>>
File: 1495324017091.jpg (86KB, 867x898px) Image search: [Google]
1495324017091.jpg
86KB, 867x898px
>>60510808
With enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.
>>
A little search on Google:

"11-Year Old Linux Kernel Local Privilege Escalation Flaw Discovered"

https://thehackernews.com/2017/02/linux-kernel-local-root.html

I remember reading (a long time ago) about a privilege escalation exploit that allowed to gain more privileges, but Linus didn't fix it because he considered that it wasn't worth fixing it since it would take too much time, it was too complicated and had a low chance of happening. It's still in the kernel and it's more than 15 years old.
>>
>>60517338
Local exploits are less relevant than remote exploits.
>>
>>60510808
>leaks for open source software

Use your brain for a moment
>>
>>60517427
Once you get something on your computer, you're still screwed.
>>
File: but_thats_wrong.png (428KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
but_thats_wrong.png
428KB, 640x480px
>>60511131
Nobody said that, retard. He was saying you are clueless for saying it's irrelevant.
>>
>>60517338
Once you have local access to a machine pretty much all bets are off in terms of that machine being safe.
>>
>>60514070
lots of malware is designed to run on old systems as they're out of date and vulnerable

legacy systems being too old (especially with windows and backwards compatibility throughout because win10 is essentially the same shit all the way back) to infect is a horrible meme
>>
>>60511131
>>60510958
here op read this
pretty much /thread
:^)
>>
>>60511407
2.09%(two point zero nine percent)
PWAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAA
>>
>>60510808
Finding linux vulnerability is not such big problem, every now and then there is some. The main difference is that linux folks are not executing random binaries which come in their email box.
>>
>>60510808
To be fair that windows vulnerability was patched back in march but i understand that the windows update system is godawful, it literaly takes hour and multiple reboots if you have the bad luck to receive 5+ updates at once. Linux must have a lot of yet to be known vulnerabilities and even more are introduced for each new feature, remember that writing perfect code is impossible and introducing bugs when you're trying to implement a new feature is much more likely than when you're trying to fix a known mistake. Yet, at least when the source is open multiple parties may be interested into improving that specific project and they're free to do so if a project is active enough and you discover an exploit there's no guarantee the exploit will keep working the next week. This is as long the user has control over their OS because if updates are not pushed (like with a lot of android phones) or not installed by the users the point is moot of course. Also because everyone can see the code for each problem there's a good chance of an uproar, for example companies that use openssl started to invest in it's development after the close call that was hearthbleed, it was just being maintained by a few people and being an important piece of software the best was to invest into not allowing this to happen again. On windows for example you need to trust microsoft blindly and no one can do anything about their software except themselves.
>>
>>60518190
It's not so small if you consider the amount of desktop/laptop users out there, it's literally 1 of each 50 users. Also consider that the desktop is not the only big/profitable market.
>>
>>60510808
Is quite hard to find such things in gnu/linux,
mainly because the source code is largely studied and fixed by hackers.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.