[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>python - 40 times slower than bare C, terrible multhreading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 9395_8b74_960.jpg (63KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
9395_8b74_960.jpg
63KB, 960x720px
>python - 40 times slower than bare C, terrible multhreading
>node.js - 30,000 nested dirs with modules, terrible multithreading, no numerics
>c++ - turned into shit after 1998, with template metaprogramming and having to override 7 constructors
>java - abstract dildo factory patterns like it's 1990
>scala - fine conceptually, ruined by having java everywhere, bloated ide, no numerics
>c# - kinda ok-is if not for the lack of repl, numerics, and dodgy runtime environment

it's 2017 and everything sucks. so what's the plan?

i'm considering becoming a barista.
>>
All those languages are good, apart from the JS ones.
>>
>>60501586
C++11/14 is fine.
>>
>>60501621
compared to rust and swift it's shit and everyone wishes it would die already, but we have to stick with it because of the legacy code and lack of libraries anywhere else
>>
LuaJIT
>>
>>60501644
Nah I'd hardly call rust or swift better than modern C++. Perhaps the lack of libraries for rust and swift is because they actually are shit though?
>>
>>60501586
the plan is for you to kill yourself
>>
>>60501644
>>60501733
Nothing wrong with modern C++, and it does not need a replacement.
>>
>>60501586
great now I want a Sonic shirt
>>
>>60501586
>node.js - 30,000 nested dirs with modules, terrible multithreading, no numerics

Can't even copy and paste all the dirs without windows throwing an error.
>>
>>60501586
>Pascal - still strong
>>
why do we even have languages other than C or perl. literally anything else is superfluous
>>
>fizzbuzz babies acting like they've got any fucking clue

FACT: only unskilled baby programmers try to start flame wars over different languages
>>
>>60502604

In the "real world" there is very little room for arguing about languages. The decision which language to use gets dictated to you by the domain of work and its traditions, coworkers, clients, boss, hardware vendor, hiring opportunities, libraries/tools you have to use. Only places where there is any freedom at all to pick languages are single man hobby projects.
>>
File: D.png (232KB, 1000x758px) Image search: [Google]
D.png
232KB, 1000x758px
>>60501586
>>
>>60502985
>Only places where there is any freedom at all to pick languages are single man hobby projects.
Or hipster startups. I'd bet many startups have failed due to some snowflake coding stuff in a dead language only to leave for better opportunities within a year leaving a mess.
>>
>>60501586
C++ has vastly improved since 98, what are you smoking. And also there's official repl for C# in VS2017
>>
>>60501586
C# is great
>>
>>60501586
>having to override 7 constructors
Sure, having option for better performance is so bad.
>>
>>60501586
> ruined by having java everywhere
No. Java gives Scala a lot of power. 3/4 of the really cool libs are making use of things developed for Java over years, and adding more.

> bloated ide
IDEA takes only a small fraction of a modern computer's processing power and RAM.

Scala's compiler could sure be faster, but most things in life are as of yet imperfect like that.

> no numerics
Wat. The standard lib has them and if it's not good enough, you can pick from a few dozen alternative implementations written in Scala or a gazillion written in Java.
>>
>>60503131
>most companies not using STL, rolling out their own "C with classes", because of STL being engineered and lacking in performance
>C++11 literally forces you to use STL making a library a part of the language
>rule of 3 was a pain in ass? enjoy the rule of 5.
>2017, still mocking interfaces

you can write the same shit in Rust or Swift using 1/2 - 1/4 lines of code. it's a terrible fucking abomination of language that was actually better as an upgraded C before C++98
>>
>>60501586
>it's 2017 and everything sucks. so what's the plan?
While I practically don't agree with any of the points you brought up for any of the languages indicated, I must say one thing is fucking weird:

You do have various algorithms and data structures on WP, in books like CLRS and so on.

But virtually all programming languages do not feature anything but a very bare and random sample of these in their standard library. It's not enough to even cover the standard fare undergraduate introductory courses in almost all instances.

Do you have a collection of various trees in your standard library? Is your standard library able to give you an eulerian path through supported graphs? Almost certainly not, and that's very shit.
>>
>>60501586
>node.js
>multithreading
Node does not have threading at all. It has an event queue running inside a single thread. It is WebDevs can't into concurrency.
At most you can fork child processes, each one running its own V8 instance.
>>
>>60501586
crystal - the fun language
>>
>>60503461
>Almost certainly not, and that's very shit.
In reality most things other than hashed dictionaries and sets and dynamic array either suck ass or are too exotic for 99.9999% of all task so they don't matter.
>>
>>60501586

>>c++ - turned into shit after 1998
C with Classes was garbage.

C++ didn't get good until C++11.
>>
>>60503647
>C++ didn't get good until C++11.
This, although they should have added modules from day one.
>>
>>60503576
No. There is no 99.99% in this. And undergrads learning about them is not an accident for shit.

If we had these data structures properly in a standard library, we'd use them. Shit, most standard library themselves uses these "useless in 99.99% of the cases" data structures like graphs and trees (say, std::map's typical implementation with a red-black tree). Many graphs / trees even get used frequently.

But somehow this is virtually always not designed as an externally accessible component but the magical blurb behind the scenes. It's retarded.

And it continues into all fields of maths really. Algorithms that existed since antiquity (never mind various new methods, deterministic and stochastic and what not)? Plz reimplement yourself or maybe find it in a 3rd party lib. [Lel who needs maths beyond sqrt on SOME types of numbers, for programming.]
>>
>>60503079
>Or hipster startups
Not necessarily.
I work for an oil company. We use Scala for a lot of stuff these days.

We use it since it's concise and terse so it's great for scripts, but also because it can interface directly with our existing Java systems.
>>
>>60501644
C++ rekt
>>
>>60503838
>No. There is no 99.99% in this.
Probably far more than that.
>And undergrads learning about them is not an accident for shit.
Of course not, but that doesn't mean it's useful in the huge majority of all cases. Take all forms of linked lists. In terms of performance, arrays slaughter them in most scenarios. Asymptotic advantages of linked lists for inserting simply aren't relevant enough in most parts of reality.
>If we had these data structures properly in a standard library, we'd use them.
I doubt it. About half of those data structures are either optimized versions of the default ones and are used to implement parts of the stdlib that makes the discussion irrelevant or too specialized, think about zillion variations of graphs you could have.
>Shit, most standard library themselves uses these "useless in 99.99% of the cases" data structures like graphs and trees (say, std::map's typical implementation with a red-black tree). Many graphs / trees even get used frequently.
Implementing an easier abstraction might be one of the few use cases most of that stuff even has. Prototypical OO is another of such cases.
>But somehow this is virtually always not designed as an externally accessible component but the magical blurb behind the scenes. It's retarded.
Probably, but it might simply have been considered irrelevant.
Now on the other hand, external iterators actually have a couple of use cases, therefore they exist in actual programming languages.
>And it continues into all fields of maths really. Algorithms that existed since antiquity (never mind various new methods, deterministic and stochastic and what not)? Plz reimplement yourself or maybe find it in a 3rd party lib. [Lel who needs maths beyond sqrt on SOME types of numbers, for programming.]
Well, scientist don't have a say in a tool that is mostly made for the industrie. In the two edge cases, there's boost.
>>
>>60502369
so windows being shit is now node's fault?
>>
One day you will grow up and realize there are different tools for different jobs.
My algorithmic trading software is 100% Python and that's fine, because fast development is very important, and speed completely irrelevant. 99% is waiting for I/O.
>>
C, C++, Scala and Java are all fine. Java has more problems than the rest and c++ is a little overcomplicated, but I would be perfectly happy using those languages until I died. js and python are both useless though.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.