[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it safe to use an external cooling fan for a laptop with a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: externalfan.jpg (25KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
externalfan.jpg
25KB, 700x700px
Is it safe to use an external cooling fan for a laptop with a fan that isn't working?
>>
>>60490760
Just ebay a replacement fan and install it yourself.
>>
>>60490760
It's safe to use it but it likely won't help. You could, potentially, with a very high end external cooler get a barely usable machine going but if the guts aren't cooling themselves its either going to shutdown or throttle itself to oblivion. If it's modern go ahead and try, it should shut down if it gets too hot.
>>
>>60490760
Nope don't even bother. Those dinky fans won't cool your laptop.
I had a laptop with a dead fan and I have to use a 15" desk fan to keep it running
>>
>>60490760
but why

even my old as fug t420 manages to run fine staying around 55c with the fan turned off
>>
It's not really going to do anything if it's not lined up with your cooling vents.

Just replace the fan, it's like a $5 part and half hour job. Also a good time to replace any factory thermal paste
>>
>>60490760
those external fan pads are totally worthless
how is a little bit of wind going to cool through all the plastic of your laptop to get to the chip? this is snake oil voodoo bullshit
>>
>>60491014
This. Can confirm they have practically zero effect on overall temperature. You're better off attaching and sealing a vacuum cleaner's hose to the exhaust vent and running that.
>>
>>60490914
>laptop be at 50c
>fan still spinning
fucking hate this overheating HP junk butat least it hasn't broken down after 5 years
>>
No, modern laptop coolers are basically blower fans that suck air in through the bottom and push it through a very dense, very small heatsink at high speed
laptop base cooler fans dont have the speed needed to push that much air, theyre not very directional and wont be able to push a large amount of air through a small space and get much of it to pass through the heatsink

Your best bet in this case is to plug a little 60mm fan straight into the wall via a 12v adapter and wedge it directly under, as in touching the laptop, blowing air in.
Then stick that on some stilts of some kind so it has room to suck air in
that will maybe be enough airflow
but its gonna be loud as shit and you'll have a fan plugged into a wall cooling your laptop

just buy a replacement and fix it
if you've never done laptop repair, its surprisingly easy, just google whatever it is you have to do and someone will have done it and probably written a guide on it
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.