[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Reddit so obsessed with voice assistants? Don't only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6

File: google-home-product-photos-27.jpg (94KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
google-home-product-photos-27.jpg
94KB, 1600x900px
Why is Reddit so obsessed with voice assistants? Don't only neckbeards and pajeets care about this stupid shit?
>>
It's for retard "tech enthusiasts" goys.
>>
>>60488577
I highly doubt a """tech enthusiast""" is capable of writing software that controls their house and car.

I've got a trashy old iPad that I hooked up to my home stereo/microphone system that I use to automate shit.

Pretty dope to just say "Hey Siri, turn on my car and set the AC to max". All it took was a raspi and arduinos.
>>
>>60488613
So you spent a week doing that so you could save literal seconds
>>
>>60488554
I don't know desu it's for 99 year old house wives.

I do use Siri to activate my home Hue lights which are cool, but that's about it.
>>
>>60488653
>writing software and minor EE shit as a hobby needs to be time efficient. fuck the cool factor, you must only do things that are for pure numerical benefit

Your life must be real fucking boring.

>Hey Siri, pull up the dumbwaiter.
>Hey Siri, water the lawn
>Hey Siri, set the house alarm
>Hey Siri, close the living room blinds
etc. etc. It's fun as fuck.
>>
How should I know and why should I care
>>
Do people not realize this is literally a command line interface?

Why do they like this but fear others when they're the easiest possible interfaces for non-interactive programs?
>>
>>60488754
Because speaking in your native language is easier than typing in another? How stupid are you?
>>
>>60488554
You answered your own question
>>
>>60488698
> fun

That's why you're still using Apple stuff
>>
Won't even try one until it speaks my language.
>>
>>60488554
Why are you so obsessed with reddit?
>>
>>60488554
They're not.
>/r/hailcorporate
>>
>>60488554
shills
>>
Honestly these are more popular with status obsessed "normies" if you will. It's playing on that techno fetish of owning the latest and greatest, the same crowd who upgrade their macbook every year to the latest model despite using it for nothing but facebook.
>>
>>60488675
And the funniest part? Now Apple knows every time you turn on or off the lights and keeps a log. You are the best goy.
>>
>>60489650
You know what pisses me off? English is the single most retarded language that has ever existed. And it's writing system makes no sense whatsoever, any word can be written in any way imaginable. And this makes voice recognition a lot harder for English. Meanwhile, most other European languages use a writing system that more or less follows their pronunciation, making it a shitload easier to transcribe with software. In my particular native language everything is pronounced as it is written. It would be piss easy to make very accurate voice recognition, but nobody bothers because few people speak it.
>>
>>60489926
Tech obsessed pseudo normies are the worst, used to argue with them about muh ifone being shit until i realized the futility of it all and the waste of time it was.
They're all brainwashed consumerist goyim so arguments can't reach their brain since they don't have one anymore, at that point the "it's their money let them waste it the way they like" meme becomes real.
>>
>>60488653

>literally seconds

Of every day, of every week, of every year.

Adds up to longer than a week.

Your cost-benefit argument is pathetic.
>>
File: 1494866236636.jpg (31KB, 352x350px) Image search: [Google]
1494866236636.jpg
31KB, 352x350px
>having an open mic connected directly to the botnet itself
>>
>>60489634
>stop having fun
that's why you're still depressed
>>
>>60490103
Why don't you put a toilet in front of your TV? So you'll never have to go to the toilet and you can save literal minutes every day.
>>
>>60488698
>Using Siri
>It's fun as fuck.
This is /g/ in 2017. RIP in peace.
>>
>>60490064
>In my particular native language everything is pronounced as it is written.
Suomi detected.
>>
>>60489650
This is something americans will never understand. Amazon outside of the US is absolute shit, but you can't explain that to a murican.
>>
>>60490141
Makes the conversations I with my self seem less lonely
>>
>>60490174
Not Finnish, but close. Anyway, any writing system that has less letters than it has sounds is retarded. For fucks sake English has 26 letters but close to 50 phonemes.
>>
>>60490153
Hopefully he/she won't take the time to reply to this trollish comment. I assume anon likes to tinker with technology and gets satisfaction from the usefullness of their projects. Whether or not you view their projects as useful is beyond the scope of this thread.
>>
File: english_language.jpg (58KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
english_language.jpg
58KB, 600x413px
>>60490211
Literally JUST: the language

This retardation is what slows down technological advancement
>>
>>60490238
kek
>>
>>60490211
So it comes as a great surprise that it's the world's most used language.
If you want a plethora of characters try one of the oriental languages. Having to learn over 7000 characters so you can read a newspaper is a great advantage. Not.
>>
>>60490211
Polish? Russian? Any other Slav? Or maybe Hungarian/Estonian?
>>
File: 22.jpg (152KB, 786x715px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
152KB, 786x715px
>>60488554
Pajeets are obsessed with them because the idea of having a white girl be their servant gives them a power trip boner, since in real life white girls find them repulsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0b2LGf9jM

Come to think of it, that's the reason Reddit autists like them too.
>>
>>60490281
>If you want a plethora of characters
I didn't say that. In fact, English is in this regard closer to the oriental languages, since you have to learn every word's spelling since you can't just follow its pronunciation. Same way you have to learn the hieroglyphics for every Chinese word.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170415-025745.png (146KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170415-025745.png
146KB, 1080x1920px
Then only good use I've found for Google Assistant is the mad libs feature.
>>
>>60488554
why are you on reddit or care about a bunch of normalfags then? Only fools lose themselves in the thoughts of sheep
>>
>>60490354
I find the echo chambers and lack of connection to reality that many Redditors have fascinating
>>
>>60490467
I used to actually go on there a long time ago, around the time I read the jolly rancher story. That website is unusable today, the shilling is just obvious, on top of that the memes on there are just out of control, its not even funny, its just shit anymore, but no one does forums anymore and subreddits are cool
>>
>>60490467
how's that new front page going for them? Is it just a new shilling technique? Were hot opinions too much for those babbies?

even /b/tards used to able to troll them with ease getting stuff onto their frontpage but if they weaponized that it could be dangerous given how many drones are in their herd
>>
>>60490560
There was a time when reddit was "cool" and useful. Now there are too many people on it and every subreddit is watered down. The front page is literal fucking dogshit.

Too bad successful websites are destined to go south.

What's the next reddit?
>>
>>60488554
my problem is with always on ones

I use a moto hint, it's discrete and you can't tell I'm wearing it the way my hair is. Tap my ear and I get a google assistant prompt. Audio passthrough sorta works but is oddly works much better with noise from speakers. More importantly it lets me listen to weeb music all the time discreetly anywhere, it makes life a little more bearable.
>>
>>60490467
>lack of connection to reality that many Redditors have fascinating

>Friend days redditfags
>Interrupt him mid sentence
>Whoa whoa whoa did you just say redditfags? Where the fuck did you hear that?
>Yeah, it's what I call all the 4chan people coming and fagging up Reddit with their shitty posts, they are Redditfags. I made it up.
>No you didn't make it up, and that is not what a Redditfag is. I really hope you don't call anyone that.
>Are you kidding, I call redditfags a Redditfag all the time.
>You do realize no one on 4chan is going to be mad that you called them a fag, because everyone is a faggot on 4chan.
>Op, m00t, newfags, oldfags, everyone's a fag.
>Yeah, but they are all still redditfags
>>
>>60490141
Whats wrong goy, if you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about
>>
Reddit was best when /r/atheism was a default subreddit so you could see all the autistic neckbeards wide in the open
>>
>>60490142
At least not buying overpriced shit. And I'm telling you that while I love Steve Jobs and the work done on his first projects and the iPod. But Apple is just bullshit now and since a long time
>>
>>60488698
Did you fucking retarded
>>
>>60488554
>>60488554
>Why is Reddit so obsessed with voice assistants?
shills
>>
>>60490295
Hungary is no where near Estonia. Lithuania and Latvia are the other little countries near Estonia
>>
>>60490787
I struggle to follow this conversation.
>>
$30 for an echo dot and I can set alarms, home automation, listen to radio/podcasts. I'm happy with it.

Not sure where the idea of obsession comes from. I think /g/'s paranoia from an always listening device makes anyone here want to find a way to hate it somehow.
>>
>>60491047
>I may be depressed but at least I'm poor, too
>>
>>60488554
>Why is Reddit so obsessed with voice assistants?

Retards that can't touch type, can't bother to learn shortcuts?
>>
>>60491328
Not really. I prefer spending bucks on things like BTC and trading.
Fucking normie with his Apple "patrician" tier meme
>>
>>60491324
Fascinating. My phone already does all those things.
>>
>>60491741
Amazing. My computer already does all those things.
>>
>>60491765
Amazing, my wife can already do all those things
>>
>>60491765
Other than the whole fit in your pocket thing, which is kind of important.
>>
>>60488554
I slept with a 49 year old woman a few nights ago and she had one of those Google Home thingies. First time I've seen one in the wild. I didn't ask about it but she certainly wasn't a techie type person, I presume it was a present she received.
>>
>>60488554
their tryhard tech losers who dot realize japan leads the front in ai waifus!
>>
I urge people to try voice assistants for setting reminders it's the one application I've found to be superior to the manual equivalent
>>
>>60490809
>tfw nazis said this
>and I don't agree with it
>but I liked the nazis
fuck
>>
Are there any which aren't botnet? I'd unironically consider one, but only if it can work when you disable all telemetry and online connections.
>>
>>60492272
They're made by companies like Amazon and Google, what the fuck do you think? I think you'd have more luck building your own than trying to remove the built-in telemetry in Home or Alexa.
>>
>>60492313
Removing it is the easy part: block all packets from the device at the network level.
The question then is whether it will still work.

Also I was wondering about alternatives which aren't made by Google and Amazon.
>>
>>60492350
I highly suspect that any alternatives will be nowhere near as good. Companies like Amazon and Google have spent billions of dollars and the last 15+ years developing the technology to create these devices and they're still not that great. Other companies are going to really struggle to come close in the near future.
>>
>>60488698
>cool factor
lol no
>>
>>60490064
>It would be piss easy to make very accurate voice recognition
Why don't you get started on it then Pajeet
>>
>>60488653
you're on the wrong board
>>
>>60492482
There arent good alternatives to voice recognition / AI. There's a reason these companies have been investing so much time and money into them. Just look at S voice; samsung is a hugely successful company yet their voice assistant is garbage. Some guy in his basement isnt going to compare to google
>>
>>60490141
this is why i told my gf she can't have one.
>>
>>60492619
You're on the wrong board.
>>
>>60491741
So does mine but my Echo can do it while my hands are still on my keyboard or from across the room. For $30 it's an easy quality of life improvement.
>>
>>60488554
>Own a smart phone that already has all the features of one of these speaker bots with the download of an app or two

Like the smart watch, most consumers realize its a stupid meme.
>>
>>60490281
>jeffe what's a plethora?
>>
>>60493492
So can a computer, point is you can do it hands free. Google Now or even the new Assistant still doesn't grab podcasts or radio stations from IHeartRadio, or do home automation, etc
>>
>>60490281
>So it comes as a great surprise that it's the world's most used language.
fuck off, english is not the most used language
>>
>>60493717
It is in anywhere that isn't 3rd world.
>>
>>60493717
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_as_a_lingua_franca
>>
>>60488554
>neckbeards and pajeets
sounds like reddit to me.
>>
File: 210.jpg (35KB, 323x327px) Image search: [Google]
210.jpg
35KB, 323x327px
>>60488554

Why is /g/ so obsessed with mechanical keyboards? Don't only neckbeards and pajeets care about this stupid shit?
>>
>>60488613
so since I automated my entire garden and house with gpios on arduinos and raspberry pis I am not a tech enthusiast?

my cousins call me a geek

but what am I?
>>
>>60490235
reddit ass comment
>>
>>60494601
a faggot probably
>>
>>60493825
There's two types of neckbeards: those that have beards because they don't care, and those that have beards because they want to show the world they don't care.
Neckbeards, anyway.
There are more categories of beards, but neckbeard is a specific subcategory of itself.
Nu-males and pajeets are 90% of reddit.
>>
>>60488721
Please don't bother tryin to find her
She's not there
>>
>>60488698
>Hey Siri, turn off the house alarm
>Hey Siri, open the door
>Hey Siri, where did I hide all my valuables again?
>Hey Siri, while you're at it, transfer all my money on PayPal to [email protected]
>>
>>60490196
Everywhere outside of the US is absolute shit
>>
>>60488554

DELET THIS BUY A VOICE ASSISTANT NOW IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER

http://i.4cdn.org/gif/1495293087863.webm
>>
>>60498628
cortana is best
>>
>>60488554
I'm. I wouldn't know. Why do you know what Reddit is obsessed with, eh? Faggot.
>>
>>60488698
>hey Tim Cook, come over so I can suck on that faggot Apple dock of yours again
>>
>>60488613
>dope
>>60488698
>etc. etc. It's fun as fuck.

>these are the best excuses someone can come up with for wilingly feeding the AI botnet
I won't be sorry for you when Apple's PMC knows everything about you when they finally decide to wack you.
>>
>>60488613
>I highly doubt a """tech enthusiast""" is capable of writing software that controls their house and car.

import "voice control"
import "house control"

house.control(voice.control)

Look /g/, I made a program to control my house via voice!
>>
The futurist star trek nerd part of me loves the idea, the pragmatic cyberpunk of me hates them since its a pretty gross violation of privacy.
>>
>>60488554
because they have money to blow and they get bored
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.