[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Gf has nearly $3000 to spend on a new gaming PC >Will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: Viper.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Viper.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>Gf has nearly $3000 to spend on a new gaming PC
>Will be used to play The Sims and Skyrim almost exclusively
>Wants an Alienware tower
>Asks me to help her pick one out

What do I do? She already had to stop me from sperging out yesterday about how Alienware are meme computers, but I just can't sit around and let her get jew'd in good conscience. She seems distrustful of anything that isn't a pre-built PC, so my suggestion that I piece together something for her are out the window. Are there any high-end pre-built computers you guys could recommend that might save her a bit of money?
>>
Build one together as bonding time.
>>
>>60480156
Nope, you're going to get absolutely raped in either overall cost or in making compromises to components by downgrading a few options by buying a "high-end" prebuilt. Prebuilts at the extreme low end (think office PCs) can be a decent deal but for gaming they are absolutely horrible.

>my suggestion that I piece together something for her are out the window
Also, stop being such a fucking beta.
>>
>>60480156
>gf
puffy or flat?
>>
>>60480156
Tell her that she ain't getting dicking as long as there is pre-build pc in her house.
>>
>>60480156
Can't you build your own PC and make it look like an alienware PC?
>>
>>60480156
>distrustful of anything that isn't a pre-built
Time for an upgrade.
>>
Build her one and say it cost $4000
>>
>>60480156
Buy clevo from hidevolution if she insists on laptops. At least you get a removable cpu for it. Customizable and unlocked bios.
>>
>>60480156
Dump that dumb bitch, who doesn't value money. I'm sure she'll bankrupt you too if she marries you and have kids with tyrone leaving you with only half of your savings
>>
>>60480156
http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure%282,384,0%29TornadoF5

May 17 - 31 promotion 1499
>>
File: 1494716179154.jpg (101KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
1494716179154.jpg
101KB, 720x602px
>>60480156

Look lad, its alright to be a bit anxious when building your first pc. Its okay to chicken out and go for a prebuilt instead, especially when youre not made of money or want some peace of mind. You dont have to make up an elaborate story.

Say hi to your 'gf' for me.
>>
>>60480293

Is he going to put it in fresh dell packaging and post it to his/her address as well?
>>
>>60480319
This. She doesn't trust you to build a computer? Since you're in /g/ I should hope you know your tech shit and she should know that too. Doesn't sound like it's gonna work out. In fact she's probably cucking you OP
>>
>>60480230
It's mainly because she's seen me with my own tech shit and how I'm constantly tweaking things. She's concerned that she won't have something that "just works" and that when I'm not around to fix something she won't be able to use her computer because she won't know how to fix it herself. The other thing is that it's her money and while I can definitely suggest better alternatives, I can't force her hand. Last thing is she wants it immediately, like order it today, get it tomorrow, and install her games immediate. She had a stressful semester and is fixated on the idea of playing her games on the highest settings on a computer that wont crash every 30 minutes. I'd love to build her a computer on my own but I'm poor.
>>
>>60480156
>She seems distrustful of anything that isn't a pre-built PC

Then you no longer have any involvement in her computer decision making.

Im being 100% seriously here. But you need to take a hardline stance and
>refuse to take part in her pre-built PC bullshit
>tell her once and only once more the money she saves and the control she has with a custom built, and the money saved can go into a larger, better monitor.
>tell her you will NOT help her with any tech support that WILL need to happen with her pre-built shit. she needs to call alienware for that shit.

#3 is important. When they realize they lose out on ALL free tech support, and they have to rely on the horrid and nightmarish world that is over the phone tech support, they generally capitulate.

I'm telling you to stick to your guns here. And if you do it might cost your relationship, but this is a gamble you need to decide to take.

also, the fact that she is going with some preconceived notion about pre-builts, leaves me to wonder what other issues has she "asked" for your help in picking out only to veto you in the end and go with what she basically wanted to start with and telling you your advice meant dick.
>>
File: 1494905903129.jpg (45KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
1494905903129.jpg
45KB, 392x495px
>>60480430

This... This right here is the best non-tech bit of advice ive ever seen posted on /g/. All you younger lads pay attention to this. If she doesnt have faith in you and trust in your judgement its a sure indicator she wont be loyal to you.
>>
File: 1402204645415.jpg (159KB, 1024x1030px) Image search: [Google]
1402204645415.jpg
159KB, 1024x1030px
>>60480156
Put together a prebuilt one from that company
Then build the same rig with pcpartpicker, and show her the price difference
That is, if you're so inclined
>>
>>60480156
apple/alienware computers are fashion accessories just like jewelry and $600 purses. bitches love expensive fashion accessories.

if you can't stop her from wasting her money, you can still save her from the botnet by immediately wiping Windows 10 off the harddrive of her new alienware PC and installing linux instead. if she only plays two games it shouldn't be hard to get those set up in WINE for her. those two games are also 100% singleplayer so you could set them up in a firejailed Windows 7 VM.
>>
>>60480156
she's a girl. she wants the alienware.
>>
>>60480478
>>60480430
>>60480365

I've been with her long enough and we trust each other in ways that I've not seen any of our peers do. I'm not concerned. I think her distrust of my advice came about because her dad (who works with tech as well and she trusts a great deal) mentioned she should get a Dell as they're reliable. He's a great guy and I think he knows that building a PC would yield better and cheaper results, but he personally didn't have the time to do that for her so just told her to go with a prebuilt cause he wanted to make it simple for her.
>>
>>60480442
>It's mainly because she's seen me with my own tech shit and how I'm constantly tweaking things.

this is what tech savy people do. we tinker.

>She's concerned that she won't have something that "just works"

customs do "just work" what breaks them is when we tinker. you wont tinker with her shit so it will forever, "just work." that is of course, when she decides to click on EVERYFUCKINGTHING that exists on the internet within 12 hours of turning it on. then even her pre-built will no longer "just work

>when I'm not around to fix something she won't be able to use her computer because she won't know how to fix it herself

I really hate people that relegate themselves on down to free tech support for family. You need to make her fix her own shit. Yes, you can guide her and point her in the right direction, but it sounds like to me, that whenever it breaks, she will complain, ask you to fix it, then leave the room and do other shit until its done. Never learning a motherfucking thing. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN. yes. she will whine about needing to fix it and "why cant you just do it?" but if she refuses to learn, you sir, have a lemon and its time to trade it in.

>it's her money
no one can deny this. all you can do is strongly suggest. but as >>60480455 said, take the "i dont know alienware computers. and i didnt build it. i dont know how to fix it.
$100 says the second you try to fix her alienshit, and it breaks again, even if its months later, she will blame you and claim you never properly fixed it to start.

>she wants it immediately
not trying to be /pol/ here but, this is a woman. most have zero patience.

at the end of the day OP, this sounds like a trap. she will get her pre-built, fuck it up inside of a week, ask you to fix it, you fix it, she fucks it up again and blames you.
>>
>>60480505
That's actually a great way to show her, thanks this is wonderful advice anon
>>
>>60480556
To add to that, I can imagine that normalfags aren't aware of the fact that the pieces which that company puts into their build are the same that you'd buy yourself.
Maybe they'd think that they manufacture the whole thing themselves. Who knows
>>
Prebuilds aren't that shitty any longer as long as you make sure you're not getting jewed on the GPU and CPU.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

RX580 and Ryzen 1400 for $750 with peripherals and shit involved. Only problem is that it doesn't have an SSD but when you buy a prebuilt you're going to have to reinstall Windows anyways so it's easy to just add a cheap SSD to use as the boot drive.
>>
understand that it's her money and her choice and tell her that building your own computer is a better use of the money, but if she really wants an alienware you'll help her choose the one that's the best bang for her buck
>>
>>60480156
Shut the fuck up you stupid goy and let her get the hardware she needs
>>
>>60480156
If she insists on buying Alienware, call her an idiot and offer to build her a computer for half the price. Take some of that money you saved and go shopping. Or buy stocks or something.
>>
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/one

Get the most expensive one. If you build it yourself using the same specs and a other case ofcourse will save you about 500 buckaroos. But that is without watercooling. This one is watercooled so it is a pretty good deal.
>>
>>60480156
Protip: dump the stupid whore and thank me later

sage
>>
Women are stupid, and annoying as fuck...
>>
>>60480156
If she doesn't trust building it (it's actually a fair concern, considering you hang out here) grab something from a boutique builder not Alienware.
>>
>>60480554
>You need to make her fix her own shit.
This.
If I have to fix something for someone in my family, I show them what I'm doing and if it happens more than once I'll walk them through how to do it.
It my sound almost autistic, but you're helping them more.
My brother does the same on me about cars, and I don't even own one yet. (not underage, just cant afford one because of insurance costs for U25s)
>>
>>60480554
>">>60480455 said, take the "i dont know alienware computers. and i didnt build it. i dont know how to fix it."

Wtf. This is so fucking lame I can't stand it.if I was your gf, and heard this I would piss all over you in your sleep and leave your sorry ass.
>don't know how to fix it
Fine. Your wither willing to try or not. If your such a bitch that you won't try then fuck you cuck.
Either tell her what she's getting, or support the decision. Stop being a fuccboi
>>
I just build my gf a PC this past week.
She'll be using it for rendering. Since she's a digital animator.

It was about $1000 and a pre-build would have been much more expensive.

Stop being a fag and tell her to build it with you as bonding time as some other anons pointed out.

Just make sure to pick the right components for what she needs, anything over. $1000 is a sizeable investment
>>
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
You pick out your rig, they assemble it and ship it over to you. Last I checked (a couple years ago) none of the parts are overpriced - they're at about the same level you could find on newegg or amazon. You pay an extra fee for assembly and shipping, but it's even with the fast options I don't remember it being much more than around $100 - which is still way less than the amount pre-builts usually overcharge (and definitely way less than alienware overcharges), and you have much more choice.

A friend of mine got his pc from them, and the cable management and general organisation is absolutely top-notch. I tried to make my own pc neat when I was building it, but it doesn't compare.

Of course if you find something local that will do the same thing it might be even cheaper because your won't need to pay shipping. But maybe it will have less part options, or the actual assembly might cost more, or the wait times will be longer. Shop around.

>>60480554
This too
>>
OP here, thanks for the advice. Going to talk through the pros and cons of a build with her, and try to use it as something fun for us to do together. I know I probably didn't spend enough time discussing this with her in the first place.
>>
File: 1463641265162.gif (2MB, 252x280px) Image search: [Google]
1463641265162.gif
2MB, 252x280px
>>60480156
>What do I do?
You get fucking alpha on that bitch and stop being a little cuckshit.
Holy fuck this is just like me trying to help my aunt regarding computers:
>Aunt calls, probably once every week
>some shit with her computer
>or in better words, an Acer nettop toaster
>always some random complaint so fucking vague that I have to fucking go over there to see what the fuck she means
>get there, takes half an hour to figure out what the problem is
>try to help, get the NO ANON YOU'LL BREAK MY COMPUTER treatment
>tell her she can either trust me or pay some mongoloid 200 bucks to fix it and still be worse off
>eventually fix shit
Also
>always complains about the computer making noise
>which is the tiny tiny shitty fan going absolutely nuts to cool the cpu since it's a nettop filled with dust and shit
>offered to clean it out to fix that but still get the NO YOU'LL DAMAGE IT treatment, so it just stays like that

Grow a pair or tell her to fuck off.
>>
>>60480194
fpbp
>>
>>60480539
>im not concerned
this is where youre starting to fuck up. you better start to learn to gauge her anon. people change. if she does not trust you with her money, she does not trust you, period. explain to her that if she isnt trusting you now with this that dont ask you for help later. bitch is not trusting her man is not to take lightly.
>>
>>60481152
I agree with your overall premise but it sort of sounds like you need to take your own advice with your aunt lel.
>>
File: maxdamage.gif (866KB, 324x270px) Image search: [Google]
maxdamage.gif
866KB, 324x270px
>>60481280
Well, I tried to give an example of how bad such things can get and why to act on them. Also I didn't mention that I haven't had a call from her for years now, after I blew my lid like an active vulcano the last time I wanted to help her.

>be there, because computer finally started to completely crap out from overheating because of dust issue
>basically explain to her all I'm doing is opening up the case and blowing out the dust, none of the electronics will be dismantled
>after 5 minutes of NO ANON I fucking snap like a massive 200-year old tree breaking in two
>WELL THEN STOP CALLING ME YOU FERMENTED SACK OF CRAP, GO TAKE A CORPORATE DICK UP YOUR ASS IF YOU WANT IT THAT MUCH
>walked out, and never looked back

Best fucking decision in my life.
>>
just buy her an ASUS and stick a 1050 ti in it. Don't for get to stick and Alienware sticker over the ASUS logo
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.