[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is the software and hardware industry finally going to realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: steve-jobs-240929.jpg (48KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
steve-jobs-240929.jpg
48KB, 850x400px
When is the software and hardware industry finally going to realize that fully backwards compatibility is just a burden to technology's progress?
>Windows
The OS could be much more efficient and secure, but that would mean that old programs would have to be emulated, so they don't do it.
>CPUs
It doesn't matter how much Intel or AMD keep polishing this turd, x86 has been stagnant for years.
>formats
A lot of retards keep using file formats from 20 years ago which are objectively inferior in every way to the new ones.
>ports
VGA and USB 2.0 are still relevant in 2017

As stupid as Apple policies can be, they are right in one thing, forcing the user and developer to get with the times. I bet we would still be using Flash or 32 bits programs if it wasn't for them.
>>
In the real world, business have a shitton of bespoke legacy code that they need to run.
>>
Because the consumer market makes little money so they go after the business market, the business market wants to run 10 year old software and is willing to pay for it.
>>
>>60479881
Intel's next x86 CPU arch is actually removing guaranteed backwards compatibility.
>>
>>60481319
But Itanium failed
>>
>>60479881
>VGA and USB 2.0 are still relevant in 2017
What's bad with them?
>>
Having an OS with more than 2^32-1addressable memory is good. Having programs that need that much memory is pretty uncommon (excluding real computing tasks ).
>>
>>60479881
>Windows
>backward compatibility
I heard this meme in the past. W7 ultimate could have a whole XP subsystem because backward compatibility is always broken. Buy new or die.
>>
>>60482303
>W7 ultimate
+pro and enterprise
>>
You are a massive retard.
>>
The dominant platform is usually the one that's most supported. That means if people have been creating shit for it forever, they will continue to do so.
>>
>>60480776

This.

Its why windows rules the business world wherever linux hasn't kicked them off.

People just want their old shit to work their problems were solved long ago. And if they had to run emulation and containers/vms it would just be another person they have to hire. Worse a smart person who would not be dirt cheap.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.