[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it more stressful to a computer to cut it on and off everyday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

Is it more stressful to a computer to cut it on and off everyday or leave it on all the time ?
>>
>>60478382
leave /g/
>>
The answer to your question is basically just use sleep mode for short (day or two) inactive periods
>>
>>60478382
With elementary school science, you can deduce the answer
>>
>>60478382
by the time any of that would even be a problem you should have already upgraded from that hardware quite a few times.
>>
just leave it on. my linux box hasn't been shutdown in over 12 years, and it's still going strong.
>>
Definitely more stressful to leave it on.
>>
>>60479542

I hope you are joking.
>>
>>60478382
They differ. I used to leave mine on but it started havimg panic attacks and took up a two pack a day smokimg habit
>>
>>60479612
Not at all. Silicon don't degrade much when off, it degrades when there is electrical activity and when it is hot. Same for capacitors etc.
>>
>>60479652
All materials degrade from heating and cooling cycles though.
>>
>>60479652
Silicon degrades mostly through the heating and cooling cycles of on/off cycling.
The biggest problem with leaving computers on is that the fans wear out.

Compared to wearing out the silicon that's nothing.
>>
>>60479810
>>60479820
The effect from heat cycling is much less than keeping the heat on. There is a reason the vast majority of electrical components are rated at x hours at y temperature, not x on/off cycles.
>>
>>60479843
T h i s
>>
>>60479843
>The effect from heat cycling is much less than keeping the heat on.
Incorrect.

There's a reason the centennial light bulb keeps working. It is because they don't turn it off.
>>
Laptops and desktops off when not working...

My Pi is on 24/7 because it's cheap rnough
>>
>>60479843
I'm going with this just on the basis that I've always turned my shit off when it's not in use and always spend good money on temps and I've never retired a PC to failure since 1998.
>>
>>60480009
>comparing a light bulb to a silicon chip with structures a few orders of magnitude smaller
whew
>>
>>60480009
Are you really comparing old light bulbs to modern fine electronics?

Do you have a source for your claims? Because I have a source for mine, chapter 7.3 of CMOS VLSI Design by Weste and Harris, outlying the most common potential failure modes in a silicon chip, none of which are particularly affected by temperature switching, only either absolute temperature, absolute electric field strength or absolute current, caused by a system to be on. I am actually a masters student in microelectronics, I'm literally studying to make the components we are talking about. So sorry but unless you are also an engineer in the same field I think you are unqualified to have this discussion.
>>
>>60480009
No, it's because it's using a carbon filament and has had relatively clean electricity run through it during the majority of it's lifetime.
Modern light bulbs use tungsten, which has a much shorter life expectancy.
>>
>>60480107
>>comparing a light bulb to a silicon chip with structures a few orders of magnitude smaller
>whew
Oddly enogh electricity doesn't show any signs of caring whether it's going throughsilicon or humanity. The current heats up the conductor and the conductor distorts as a result.
The degree of tolerance to this distortion is important.
>>
>>60480177
>Oddly enogh electricity doesn't show any signs of caring whether it's going throughsilicon or humanity.
It definitely does. It's why chips are made of silicon and not copper or whatever. Besides, it's not the electricity's changes that matters, it's the material it's going through's changes that matter.
>>
So shutting it down when not in use is the answer?
>>
>>60480109
Sure, electromigration is a thing but the rate that it occurs is not something to worry about unless you are expecting to get multiple decades of life out of your processor, which certainly a consideration in some applications but not your desktop environment.

Thermal expansion is a well understood process and has caused any number of failures in microprocessors usually due to shitty solder cracking.

Your system is made up of more than just silicon. All you need is the weakest material to fail.
>>
>>60481133
Doesn't occur at all unless the temperature is north of the materials normal operating parameters. It's a problem for over clockers mainly.
>>
>>60481012
yes, but the culprit is not silicon aging. Power supply is beyond most failures. Chemical caps don't age well under load.
>>
>>60481012
default setting is good. sleep after 45 min or something
>>
>>60483635
any cpu wear is typically only an overclocker's problem. Whether it's the silicone, soldering or else.
>>
>>60478382

>cut

uhh, you mean turn?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.