[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>27 yo >finished med school earlier this month >always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12

File: lordofmanlets.jpg (379KB, 880x641px) Image search: [Google]
lordofmanlets.jpg
379KB, 880x641px
>27 yo
>finished med school earlier this month
>always wanted to get into coding and such and always been interested in becoming a "hacker"
>learned a bit of python earlier this week but can't really see how one could transcend into becoming a "hacker" from being a coder

not trying to be a the le meme hacker we see on tv that develop viruses, etc. but more so the actual term of being a hacker where I am able to hack into an existing code and manipulating it in order to make a program do whatever I like

Where do I go from here? Like I said I have very basic knowledge of coding in python
>>
>>60475506
Are you Indian OP?
>>
Proof you don't have to be intelligent to make it through med school
>>
>>60475529
asian, I'm pretty good at math
>>
>>60475506
>med school
Just give up, you're too stupid for programming.
>>
>>60475506
it's easy op, you just start with ida pro and try to crack a game so you get to play it for free
>>
>>60475549
th-thanks

.. just looking for guidance
>>
>>60475549
This desu senpai.

You might need some autism to get through medical school but the kinds of autism you need to hack computers is on a whole different level.

Hell I bet you don't even using a tiling window manger do you?
>>
You have to learn a lot to hack and with all that med knowledge you won't have room. Learn social engineering like mitnick
>>
>>60475591
>Hell I bet you don't even using a tiling window manger do you?

He probably doesn't even know what a window manager is senpai.
>>
>>60475549
>>60475542
What do you need for med school then?
>>
>>60475506
>Where do I go from here?
hackthissite.org
>>
>>60475570

Alright, I'll break it down for you. I'm not a hacker by any means, not even a programmer.

But being a hacker is more of a mindset than a set of skills or some esoteric knowledge.

You want to be a REAL hacker? Then you have to love learning about what interests you when it comes to your subject(s) of choice.

Into games? You can learn how to code games, or how to write cheats for them. There are books for this.

Want to break into systems remotely? Learn about networking and encryption for starters.

You just want to make your computer do some cool shit that you can't find in an already existing application? Learn how to program.

The most important thing is to know WHAT you want to know and WHY, and to have fun with it.

Also, learn a UNIX based Operating System like Linux or one the BSDs. Try a newbie friendly distro like Ubuntu or Mint and you can do the more complicated stuff in a Virtual Machine from there. You'll save yourself some headaches.
>>
>>60475506
are you 27 or 17? grow the fuck up dude
>>
>>60475506
>learned a bit of python earlier this week but can't really see how one could transcend into becoming a "hacker" from being a coder

Let me put this on terms that you might understand. How would you feel if someone was complaining that:

>watched a few episodes of Dr. Oz earlier this week but can't really see how one could transcend into becoming a "surgeon" from being a couch potato
>>
>>60475656
Aren't almost all OSX Unix based?
>>
>>60475668
I mean not saying hey let's do this by next week -- I'm trying to make this a hobby and if it takes a decade to become good I'm ok with that

Even thought about taking some basic courses at the local community college then I remembered that I pretty much self studied my way through med school and everything I need to know is online so why not put forth my effort that way
>>
>>60475722
>I'm trying to make this a hobby
Hacking is not, and cannot be, a hobby. You want programming.

Copy/pasta incoming.
>>
Learn how to do a NOP-Sled and do the overthewire problems. Figure out what metasploit is.
>>
>>60475506
Learning this kind of stuff is a long road. I assume you don't mean using a program, social engineering, or brute forcing etc. My recommendation for getting started is that first you need to understand the basics of both digital information and computer science.

By the former I mean you need to understand how bits can be both encrypted and compressed - if someone brings up AES with CBC or LZ compression you should kind of understand what all 3 of those mean and how it might approximately look in terms of bit manipulation. You should know why something like CBC is necessary at all, and what it means for encryption to be diffuse. You should know what hashing and salting is and how it might be realized through methods like SHA. You should also understand what it means for encoding to be fixed or variable.

For the computer science aspect, you need to understand how code is generally laid out in a program.You should be able to answer what a register is (on a software level, at least) and what the main types of registers - not just the main general purpose registers but also the instruction pointer (aka program counter) and stack pointers are. Also know where the stack is, what it does, and why it is used, ESPECIALLY for function calls. If you can answer why an out-of-control recursive function that is not properly re-worked by a compiler might cause a stack overflow, then you are getting somewhere at least.

Finally, I recommend you look into binary reversal. Your knowledge you already acquired will be useful in understanding things like packing and working a debugger. You can be working with 32 bit applications using the famous Olly debugger to get started - there are sites like The Legend of Random and there are tutorial series like Lena's which can really help you go through the basics. These tutorial sites can then help you progress into stronger forms of protection following that.

Oh, and try watching some DEF CON videos.
>>
>>60475755
So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
http://www.learn-c.org/

For C++:
http://www.learncpp.com/
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html
http://en.cppreference.com/
https://isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
http://www.learnpython.org/
http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.
>>
>>60475656
This reddit spacing is raping my eyes.
>>
>>60475548
Are you though? Or did you only complete a couple calc classes and think you can do everything now?
>>
>>60475755

Are you retarded?

A huge portion of the advances in modern computing was born out of the efforts of hobbyists. Fuck off with that bullshit.
>>
>>60475783

I don't know where this Reddit spacing non-sense comes from. I've been coming to 4chan on and off since 2006 and I've ALWAYS typed like that. It's just more convenient for when i do quick once over to edit any sloppy phrases or errors.
>>
>>60475792
OP here. That wasn't me. But yeah I am Asian actually, and not claiming to have a lot of knowledge at math.

Got A's when I took math up to calculus 2, and a physical chem course that required some calc for thermodynamics but that was years ago.

What I can offer though is that I am a hard worker and willing to put forth the effort. If it ends up being something not worth it for me then that's the only way I will quit, but I wouldn't quit because it is too difficult or time consuming.
>>
>>60475548
>>60475903
..... I'm the actual OP, I don't know why these posters are pretending to be me. Anyways, I think I've changed my mind on all this programming stuff. I want to be more of a hacker, less of a computer scientist, meaning I want to change the code base of an existing program and control what it does to its users-- I'm not really interested in writing programs themselves, that stuff seems a little basic and boring to me.
>>
File: mynigger.gif (2MB, 250x181px) Image search: [Google]
mynigger.gif
2MB, 250x181px
>>60475952
th-thanks imposter
>>
>>60475903
>>60475952
thread successfully derailed
>>
>>60475903
Math doesn't even begin until you're done with calc 3 to be completely honest.
>>
>>60475529
>where I am able to hack into an existing code and manipulating it in order to make a program do whatever I like

Alright Alright Op, I'll help you out.

What you want to do is to be able to modify the function of an existing program.

Ideally you have the source code of the application available.

There is a whole culture built around "free software" or FOSS which stands for Free Open Source Software.

FOSS is superior to proprietarity software because it gives you, the user, the freedom to do what you like with the software. Including reviewing and editing the source code.

It also allows you to collaborate with other FOSS developers to improve the software so that all FOSS enthusiasts can benefit.

Richard Stallman is an important figure in free software and created the GPL. A special software license designed to protect users freedom.

This is the route I suggest you follow. If you're going to make programming a hobby do it in a way that gives back to the community in a collaborative way and don't spread non-free, proprietary garbage.

However I know what you're really asking is:
>how do I modify the function of programs WITHOUT having the source code available.

This too is possible but obvious more difficult.

In a nutshell a program exists as a set of instructions on your computer. In order to modify the function of the program you must modify these instructions.

Traditionally programs are compiled into machine code when stored on disk. This machine language is interpreted by your computer processor at runtime.

It is possible to use a tool called a "disassembler" to turn this machine language back into human readable "assembly code."

Now these instructions can be modified to cause the program to do what you desire.

Easier said than done though, because how the HELL do you know which of the millions if not billions of lines of assembly do the thing you want to change?

part 2 incoming:
>>
How do you Crack a games DRM? Is there a link to how they actually do it for various games? I'd love to see how it's possible and practice it myself on older games with less difficult DRM. Since the only experience I have is programming for courses I think this would be a lot of fun.
>>
>>60476002
part 2:

Basically you need to load the program into memory using a tool called a "debugger."

The debugger allows you to be able to trace through the programs assembly code at run-time to help you figure out the structure of the program.

This human process is called "reverse engineering" and is where YOU must figure out all the relevant things about the program you want to change.

Once you have figured this out you can start to modify the program either by patching the assembly code directly, for example to ignore a license key check, or by inserting your own complex functionality.

On windows you may use a technique such as "dll injection" to inject code into a running processes. This injected code can, provided you understand how the running process is working (from reverse engineering) manipulate the function of the running software.

This is essentially how it's done, in a nutshell.

But it's really a topic that can't be elaborated on in two simple 4chan posts. That's why I suggest you follow everybody elses advice and just learn to become a programmer. Once you do that all this other stuff will come to you naturally.

And as for memory manipulation, debugging and all that skid stuff? Why bother. Stick to free software.
>>
>>60476047

Alright this guy again
>>60476002
>>60476072

>How do you Crack a games DRM?

Like I said first you analyze how the DRM protection works by debugging/reverse engineering the software and once you figure out how the DRM works you modify the instructions to bypass the DRM.
>>
>>60475506
Those hovering hands.
>>
Whoever the fucking real OP is, listen to
>>60475762
and
>>60475763

You can find more about NOP Sleds and smashing the stack in general as well as tons of other shit in The Shellcoder's Handbook.

For a somewhat recent example of application based on using these principles as a foundation, you can look into Smealum's personal writeup on how he made ninjhax for the 3DS (his website is down at the moment, but I am sure the writeup could be found somewhere if it isn't cached).

Also learning the basics of assembly is good. You can use skilldrick's 6502 tutorial on github to help you with that. Even though it is a now dead assembly language, it is a short tutorial that is great for understanding the basics which can be applied to any other assembly instruction set.

>>60476047
>>60476091
Cracking/Reversal vs Anti-cracking/anti-reversal is a fucking full on war. There are techniques used to detect and crash debuggers, hide code, protect code manipulation, and all kinds of nasty shit like that. Starting with the posts by
>>60476002
>>60476072
You can then move on to what
>>60475763
was talking about with The Legend of Random Tutorials and olly. Even after this you are no where near the level of cracking modern games, but it is a start. Of course lots of cracking turns out to just be workarounds anyway, for example from what I heard Denuvo was not properly cracked for a while, but I think some versions of it are nowadays maybe?
>>
>>60475701
Darwin is BSD. Bash is the default shell.

Supposing you don't want to use a GNU/Linux distribution, install Homebrew.
>>
>>60475506
Read:

Gray Hat Python
Black Hat Python
The Art of Software Security Assessment
Web Hacker's Handbook
Tangled Web (Browser Security).

Congrats you're a hacker.

Now go learn Common Lisp, experience what macros in CL are. Extreme symbolic abstraction = hack the planet bots.

If you actually went to med school you should be doing genetic programming which MIT and CMU offers (just look up their course calendar pages and read the lecture slides/do exercises)
>>
>>60475549

Hackers come from all walks of life. Even people trained in journalism have become hackers. Nothing wrong in the slightest with a med grad becoming a hacker.
>>
File: GumgFR.jpg (133KB, 624x810px) Image search: [Google]
GumgFR.jpg
133KB, 624x810px
>>60475548
>asian
>>
>>60475506
who are this semon demens
>>
>>60475506
>tfw no amazon gf
>>
>>60475783
I'm sure the poster is sorry that it's not just one big wall of text for you to ignore but several smaller pieces that make it more difficult for you.
>>
>>60475548
Why are Asians so afraid of stepping out of line? Must be the culture.
>>
>>60475765
im not op, but thx
>>

because you don't

Programming is an ability that "hackers" need but "hacking" is the mindset, wanting to tinker and investigate everything you come across, and the warm fuzzy feeling inside when you overcome a challenge, make something do what you want, etc.
>>
>>60475506
would fug left grill
>>
>>60475506
become a doctor?
>>
>>60475656
>Also, learn a UNIX based Operating System like Linux or one the BSDs.
>LRN LOONIX
>YOU IS HACKER NAOW
HURR
>>
File: lelelegion.png (122KB, 610x345px) Image search: [Google]
lelelegion.png
122KB, 610x345px
>>60475506
>normie watched hackerman on tv and suddenly wants to be part of anonimoose
You are not the first faggot to do this but you are still a faggot
>>
>>60475662
Grow up and be like us.
>>
File: 6043267543421.png (53KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
6043267543421.png
53KB, 1440x900px
>>60475506

https://leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPuIaxv8kug

http://www.staroceans.org/kernel-and-driver/Assembly%20Language%20Step-By-Step%20-%20Programming%20with%20Linux,%203rd%20edition%20(Wiley,%202009,%200470497025).pdf
>>
File: 1483246406454-0.jpg (732KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1483246406454-0.jpg
732KB, 1200x1600px
>>60475506
>get code from software you use
>improve it
>you a hacka nao
>>
File: sad.jpg (354KB, 1554x918px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
354KB, 1554x918px
>even medfags want a piece of the computer pie
Just let me have this, please. This is the one thing in life that I'm kinda OK at and you niggers want to take it away from me. If smartfags from other fields get in, hardworking retards like me won't even be able to bamboozle their way into getting jobs anymore. Please anon, just don't do it. For me.
>>
File: kPJuknu.jpg (296KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
kPJuknu.jpg
296KB, 1200x798px
Is it true that med school is for rote learning morons?
>>
>>60475506
>those hover hands
>that I'm totally not 5'5 lies
>>
>>60476210
What do you think Asia is my man?
>>
File: 1495194567554.jpg (117KB, 521x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1495194567554.jpg
117KB, 521x1103px
>>60479700
Exactly, you don't see us literally hacking people up and messing with their organs just because we saw an episode of Dr. House
>>60475506
Stay in your lane faggot, you made the right choice being asian and all
>>
>>60475506
>portrayal of statistics in mass-media.jpg
>>
File: Untitled_0.png (3KB, 844x243px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_0.png
3KB, 844x243px
>>60481505
>>
>>60479700
This 2bh
>>
>>60475616
Ability to memorize since that's all med school really is
>>
>>60480126
East of the middle east and the designated shitting nation.
>>
>>60475506
>hack into an existing code and manipulating it in order to make a program do whatever I like

If you just want to manipulate and customize code, then you really just need to learn more programming. Any language will do at first so you get the concepts.

If you want to exploit a program, you will need the aforementioned background, and would need to look into exploits, shell code, fuzzing etc.
>>
>>60475549
this. med school is for faggots

>>60475570
stop calling it "coding", give up on whatever meme ideas you have about it being some hip trendy buzzword field, and start learning OOP to get you started.
>>
>>60484297
Its a shame they didn't teach you basic geography as a 4 year old
>>
>>60475765
Dont taint this poor soul with a blub language. Learn functional programming first and stateful programming after that
>>
>>60475616
The same thing you need for every degree, enough discipline to actually do the work you need to do in order to understand/memorize everything important.
>>
>>60479700
>>60483747
>>60480413
Too bad. No wonder you try to discourage others from your field with misinformation that it's saturated. Either git gud or get out.
>>
>>60486324
You'd be surprised how bad it is in 2nd and 3rd world countries. Old timers dishing out misinformation left and right and making it look like some occult group that accepts nobody. I can't wait until all those fucking autists get replaced by automation. AI will make sure that there will be an actual meritocracy and only top will remain in business.

This cancerous behavior is literally ludditism and needs to be wiped out.
>>
>>60486151
Engineering and medicine require very different modes of thinking and methods of learning.

Engineers have terrible memories for example
>>
>>60486448
Iktf

Thank god I'm an automation engineer, actively pushing code monkeys out of work, meritocracy soon lads
>>
>>60475783
You're not only a newfag, you're pretty retarded too.
>>
>>60475755
>Hacking is not, and cannot be, a hobby.
kek, if you say so Neo.
>>
>>60475755
t. tripfag
>>
>>60486752
Seriously, I can't remember a God damn thing. I forgot my gfs birthday and ended up giving her present to her a week in advance and I was just like "I love you so much I got you two great things." But my brother (heart and lung surgeon)can't even set up his wifi enabled coffee maker without calling me twice within the hour.
>>
File: 1493686431542.gif (851KB, 388x282px) Image search: [Google]
1493686431542.gif
851KB, 388x282px
>>60475542
Can confirm. Doctor girlfriend was a girl that couldn't think critically for shit.

Still hot though.

t. Engineer
>>
File: 1493585238720.gif (1MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493585238720.gif
1MB, 360x360px
>>60475983
Can confirm. Math after calc 3 gets more involved. ODEs, PDEs, linear algebra, good shit.
>>
>>60491286
>not even algebra or analysis
>>
>>60475506
Tou keep working keep learning keep groqing and searching things about hacking like bruteforcing directory crawling etc and learn more than fucking python, you're not gonna become le meme hacker over fucking "print('Hello world!')"
>>
>>60491223
I want someone to find me proof that engineering-minded people, i.e. the ones that can actually solve problems and don't require specific instructions, aren't objectively the smartest people in the human race.

Every amount of evidence I've ever seen shows that people capable of divergent thinking are capable of literally everything within their own field and every other field that retards are in.

Find me a surgeon that couldn't figure out how to set up a consumer router, then find me an engineer that couldn't figure out how to administer an IV.
>>
>>60475506
The only thing you need to "hack" is USMLEWorld for Step 3, and getting your ass into residency. Fuck computers. Being a doctor is all that matters, and all that should matter to you. You'll have plenty of time to tinker with computers when you've finished residency.
>>
>>60475763
That's all very basic. I'm a doctor who programs as a hobby and I'm not even interested in crypto, just PLT.
>>
>>60495667
>Being a doctor is all that matters, and all that should matter to you.
Not who you're addressing, but I'd hate to work in the States. Practice sounds insane over there.
>>
>>60475506
install gentoo
>>
>>60495859
You're not wrong, my friend. You are not wrong.
>>
>>60475506
Read SICP
>>
>>60475755
That's wrong though
>>
>>60475506
Hacking is basically reverse engineering.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.