[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does GPU performance degrade over time? Cause my Unigine Valley

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Does GPU performance degrade over time?
Cause my Unigine Valley scores have dropped by over 200 points in few months with same temperatures and no driver updates.
>>
>>60463392
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk and I could be wrong, but don't electronics in general degrade over time?
>>
Of course, they actually wear out pretty fast under high load.
I recently found a completely new and unused 480 and holy crap it's just as fast as my year old 1080, which has degraded quite a bit
>>
>>60463457
Yeah just like humans do
It's nothing that lasts forever
>>
>>60463392
Yes due to excess electron buildup in the gpu die, the only way to fix it is with a high power xray.
>That's why Rich people always seem to be using old computers, because they didn't slow down like normal people's laptops woul - as the machines go throw xray machines at airports very often.
>>
>>60463598
Yep, that's why so many anons got hit with the Thinkpad bug too.

Because they were buying 2nd hand machines, they got xray scanned several times during postage, so they were completely clear when they got the various anons.
Now those same machines run slow because those anons never leave the house, let alone take a plane ride or enter a secure building.
>>
>>60463392
Fluke? Other applications running messing you up? Two months is way too short a time for entropy to start affecting electronics.
>>
>>60463392
If you use Nvidia it's quite possible because they gimp their drivers and older cards. Meanwhile AMD cards age like fine wine.
>>
>>60463392
Nvidia cards boost higher when you buy them and loose performance over time as the thermal paste dries and the vrms degrade.
>>
>>60463537
Why you downgrade tho
>>
>>60463392
No, electronics do not degrade over time. There is an affect known as electromigration which can cause trace material to flow with current under high heat which will render it useless or perhaps take cores out if there is any resiliency in the design which I doubt.

You are likely experiencing degradation due to; 1. poor heat dissipation causing the GPU to throttle itself. So clean it up good and worse is new thermal paste. Use something good like Arctic Silver 5.

2. Bigger OS or drivers due to updates causing performance to appear to be reduced. What really happens is all the extra OS/driver crud eats up more CPU cycles causing you to experience degradation.
Use minimal drivers and unload any other 'enhancements' you may have put on to customize your PC.
>>
>>60463598
>>60463665

is this a meme or what
>>
>>60467468
The other culprit tends to be capacitors which hold an electrolyte which can leak or dry up rendering it useless or with reduced capacitance and possibly cause issues when the circuitry doesn't have the current it expects.

Look for capacitors with caps that are no longer flat or an oily like substance that has leaked.

Another way is to monitor voltage or current and see if these values change over time. Increases in current point to lower than anticipated voltage at the source and could potentially point to bad capacitors or power supply issues.

Bad caps on main boards cause all kinds of wonky problems with stability but frequently aren't seen until you perform a cold boot.
>>
>>60467563
Gamma rays are even better. Ever wondered why Russians are using old hardware?
>>
>>60465858
>>60465038
Here comes the bullshit brigade again
>>60463392
Anyway OP, no GPU performance doesn't degrade, if you're hitting the same clock speeds and memory speeds then the problem lies with the software or your processor. People have moved away from Unigene valley since forever ago, Heaven is far better. Though the fact that you have updated your drivers in months is fucking weird. Nvidia isn't gimping your 1060 that's their fucking budget flagship. Update your drivers, check background tasks eating your CPU and RAM and go from their, if not then you might want to check your GPU with other benchmarking programs
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.