[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth encrypting your home directory in Linux or is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: CoFK5.jpg (162KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
CoFK5.jpg
162KB, 1024x640px
Is it worth encrypting your home directory in Linux or is the performance hit too much to take in?
>>
I encrypted my entire disk and haven't noticed any performance hit. I'm on an SSD though.
>>
>>60456027
The performance difference isn't really noticeable unless you're benchmarking. If you have a substantial amount of RAM performance only takes a hit on first read too.
>>
>>60456027
Modern AES is fast as fuck.
Gigabytes per second per core.

If you have a ryzen CPU you can go 60GB/s, enough to encrypt working memory.

The only thing encryption harms is your data integrity as a single bit flip can wreck havok instead of just flipping one character to another in a spreadsheet.
make regular encrypted backups.
>>
>>60456027
There are benchmarks for that, look it up.
iirc some of them showed that encrypting the whole disk might be even better than just the home folder with currently used approaches

>>60456783
If you mean single bit flip on a disk itself, there are automatic correction algorithms for that
>>
Is there a reason to encrypt both the full disk AND the home folder?

Or is just encrypting the drive sufficient?
>>
>>60456027
Is that Oblivion?
>>
>>60459019
>look it up

Not him. If we all band together we can stop google.
>>
>>60459084
yes
>>
>>60456027
I'm using the recommended luks install(Debian) on my XPS13, no issues.
>>
File: 63.-star-wars-behind-the-scene.jpg (52KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
63.-star-wars-behind-the-scene.jpg
52KB, 1000x666px
>>60456027

i have tried the latest linux mint with full disk encryption and plain unencrypted ext4 on my mac air and older dell latitude

i did feel a performance hit on both to be honest

i ended up not using it as i am not moving government secrets around and care more about my data (ie just dumping the disk into another machine to rescue it if the machine dies) and quick auto boot so i can access it via vnc

but yeah played with it and is awesomely implemented and it has its place - just not on my machine at the moment so why bother...
>>
>>60459070
>encrypt both the full disk AND the home folder?
Maybe you would like to put all your files into encrypted archives after that and lock the disk in a vault with encrypted access code

>>60459117
It's about time
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.