[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Introducing the Purism Librem 15 laptop, the first lapto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: librem-15-dark-700px.jpg (111KB, 700x630px) Image search: [Google]
librem-15-dark-700px.jpg
111KB, 700x630px
>Introducing the Purism Librem 15 laptop, the first laptop that respects your freedom and privacy to the extent possible by refusing to use non-free software, drivers, and firmware

>Intel Core i7, Management Engine Backdoor and all

>$1599

HAHAHAHAHA
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

for reference:

https://puri.sm/products/librem-15/
>>
>>60426957
As an addendum to my OP:

Yeah, this is not a good product. But I do like some of the hardware ideas, in particular the killswitches for the camera, wifi and bluetooth.

Frankly, they should make a phone with killswitches.
>>
>>60426957
>2017
>1080p
wow. Its like they dont want to sell any laptop
>>
>>60427476
1080p isn't a meme. A lot of Youtube videos are in 16:9, as well as television shows.
>>
>>60426957

coreboot you dingus.

although i agree it's hella expensive.

they try saying it's durable because aluminum casing but it turns out only externally it's aluminum, everything else - including the little brackets for the screws, are plastic and break quickly.
>>
>>60426957
>cannot escape the botnet
will amd's shit be backdoor too?
>>
File: 1494832035461.jpg (9KB, 165x148px) Image search: [Google]
1494832035461.jpg
9KB, 165x148px
>>60427634
I honestly would not be surprised.
>>
>>60427591
But 1080p is outdated as fuck. We are at 4k now
>>
>>60428001
I always thought 4K was a meme because antialiasing and sub-pixel rendering are already so effective and screens have too much real-estate anyway.
>>
>>60426957
>>Intel Core i7, Management Engine Backdoor and all

Yeah, but what choice do they have? All CPUs with a reasonable performance/price ratio have some kind of NSA backdoor. What do you want them to do, use old 386 CPUs?

The only solution is for the development of CPUs to be done in non-fascist countries.
>>
>>60427634
Already is. Look up PSP. The only silver lining is that while Intel has been backdoored since 2008, AMD only has been since 2013, so you can get something a little more up to date while avoiding botnet.
>>
This laptop's target market is all fucked up. Firstly, someone who's a freetard would not like this design or pay that much money for this thing. Second, any savvy freetard would dismiss this machine immediately based on the CPU, and normies would never buy this either.

You can't have full freetard systems which are ALSO powerful and up to date, you must pick one. They'd have a better chance sourcing and refurbishing old ThinkPads and freetarding them up.
>>
>>60426957
every. single. day. at. 9am u fucking post this SHILL garbage.

you should be ip banned
>>
>>60428308
But you can't run a KickStarter off an idea like that, and they'd have to pay royalties to Lenovo. Second, it's easy to spruce up a ThinkPad on your own.
>>
>>60428346
If I'm criticizing a piece of shit laptop, how is it shilling exactly?

Also, I posted this at 5 AM I'm pretty sure, and I am not the same guy as whoever you're talking about as this is the first time I've made a post like this.

Maybe I'll just start namefagging so people stop saying I'm other people.
>>
>>60428255
So upcoming ryzen laptop cpu is botnet :'^(
>>
>>60428087
you're moms tight pussy is a meme
>>
>>60426957
>>60427630
Does Coreboot prevent intel backdoors from functioning? I'm an idiot so I have to ask.
>>
>>60428550

that doesnt seem like an idiotic question to me.
>>
>>60428550
Basically yes, it prevents the IME to run at all, so it can't record anything if it doesn't run. How can it run, if it's isolated from everything else?
>>
>>60428680
This laptop doesn't sound that bad after-all.
>>
>>60428354

You mention another point I've mentioned before but not in this thread. These companies are dumb, people into this shit just buy old ThinkPads and take the necessary steps to freetardify them. They're an extreme niche. They usually don't have much money and certainly not enough for buying a laptop just for this stuff. You either go full freetard or you don't, being halfway exposed is still being exposed.

Making products for extreme niches only works when those niches are for example, companies. Not individuals.
>>
>>60428001
>next to no content
it's like telling us in 2007 that 1080p is the new normal just because it's available.
>>
>>60428001
Good goy
>>
>>60428178
>The only solution is for the development of CPUs to be done in non-fascist countries.
Which ones?
>>
>>60426957
Gotta love their shill department

>Processors are essential—they are called central processing units, for a reason.

>First, there was the mouse. Then came joysticks, eraser-heads, trackballs… now welcome the ultimate interface: the multitouch trackpad.

>You will enjoy typing on your Librem so much, you may never stop typing. The Librem 15 offers easy to press keys, but not too easy, floating high enough to feel just right when you push down.

>Aligned Beliefs, We believe what you believe

Lazily written fortune cookies told to you by some high salesman.
>>
>>60427476
>>60428001

>We are at 4k now

Who the fuck is 'we'? 'We' are not even averaging 1080p displays for laptops these days that people actually own. 1080p is great for normal use on a laptop. 1080p TV owners still have little reason to upgrade to 4K, and that's a fucking TV, yes accounting viewing distances and all its not the same, but 1080p on a 14" laptop is still really good pixel density. At least its miles better than fucking 1366x768.
>>
>>60430955

Its like they hired the guy who wrote the advertisement page for that shitty $600 netbook thing.
>>
>>60431058
If I were given 15 minutes and a bunch of pictures of a laptop, I would probably make something similar.
>>
>>60430893
Somalia, it's an ancap paradise.
>>
>>60428680
is coreboot only for laptops?
>>
>>60428001
Are you an idiot? Even 1080p is much for a laptop given the size of UI elements. With a 4k screen of this size everything would be tiny as if for ants. At 15,4'' 1680x1050 Windows 7 is a bit too small for comfort already.
>>
>muh hardware freedom
>contains a modern intel cpu with non-freee microcode
>>
>>60428680
Nonsense. Coreboot is a replacement for system firmware, it doesn't touch the ME firmware at all, and it surely doesn't "disable" ME from running.
>>
>>60432549
>Windows bab that never had working DPI scaling or subpixel font rendering
How adorable; it's retarded.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.